Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Seneca

Looks like we are about to be the new owners of a 2015 Seneca 37 rb. Probably a little late for the next question, but how is the performance with the cummins 6.7? We like to go to Colorado and I was hoping the performance would be better than my v10 class a. We either tow the razor, or I have a jeep Wrangler we tow.
Will I be able to set the cruise at 68 or so on the interstate and maintain speed? Love the motorhome, and the price is hard to beat, but I wish it had the larger cummins.
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

I have a 2014 37TS, very similar frontage area and weight so the performance comparisons should be close. I also believe our horsepower and torque ratings are the same at 340 hp and 700 lb-ft.

I am very pleased with the performance, I have no trouble at all maintaining 70 mph on most highways (where that is the limit), all the while towing my 2014 Ford Explorer which weighs about 5K. And I got 10.8 mpg on a recent trip from N.E. Ohio to Rockford, IL while towing. Of course some larger grades going east or south from Akron slow me down, but I switched from a Chateau 31F Class C on an E-450 that was at the ragged edge of its gross weight. It really took a hit on those grades while towing only a 2013 Focus weighing about 3K and getting 7 mpg!

But have I ever wished I had an ISL at times? I can say yes, but not too often so far. Never having owned a Class A on the Ford f-53 with the 3-valve V-10, I can only relate to what my e-450 with the 2-valve could do. But I am happy. A factor regarding Colorado (or any high mountains), a turbo diesel gives up less performance at altitude (because of the turbo boost) than a naturally-aspirated gasser. That in itself may make you happy when you are enjoying the higher altitudes.
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

I switched from a gas burner F150 to a diesel f250 and the difference towing in the mountains is unreal. As you stated the diesel losses a lot less power at altitude, and I'm hoping that is enough to make me feel better about trading a 2014 class a gas burner.
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

seneca37rb15, you should be able to maintain 68 mph on cruise but not up any steep climbs for sure. On my class A pusher I could do that and weighed a bit more than the Seneca. Make sure you keep your RPMs at or above the sweet spot, circa 1600RPM. If you use overdrive a lot, watch your RPMs in hilly areas as you might be lugging the engine.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

We have a 2015 Seneca 36FK and tow a Honda CRV. We usually cruise at around 64-65, and will typically drop to 50-55 on steeper grades. Overall it does well in comparison to the V10 gasser we had before.

Enjoy your new rig - we love ours!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

We have the exact same unit and have had one since January. We have taken it from Pennsylvania to North Carolina for the ACC Basketball Tournament, from Pennsylvania to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia , Pennsylvania to Great Smokey Mountain National Park in Tennessee and we are currently in Ocean City Maryland for a week.
All I can tell you is that you are going to love driving this thing. The Freightliner Cummings is so smooth that at times you don't even feel like you are moving. To answer your specific question I had no problem maintaining speeds of 70-75 on Route 81 on the cruise even going up hills and it handled Skyline Drive like a dream. Simply put it is an amazing machine and worth every penny that you spent for it.
Enjoy the Seneca, it is a gorgeous unit
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Have a 2014 36FK flat towing a 4dr Jeep Wrangler. Average about 10mpg on secondary highways 55mph and about 8 on the interstate doing 70. Slows about 10mph on steeper grades. Anyone know if it's possible to keep the radio from turning off every time you turn the turn signals on to change lanes and the side camera comes on?
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Are you saying the radio audio itself cuts out when turn signal on? If so, I don't think that is the way it is supposed to function. Mine does not lose audio, but the Clarion screen defaults to the respective camera when signal turned on. I know no way to stop that from happening. But it has no effect on the sound.

I do wish the side view cameras switched more quickly. For just changing lanes it takes so long to display that I have generally already checked mirrors and switched lanes before the picture even comes on!

2014 Seneca 37TS
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Check to see if you have the audio on for the backup camera…i.e., the mic on the rear camera. I'll bet that's what is causing your radio to switch off cause the camera mic switches on.

BTW Aviator, you stole seneca37rb15's thread.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Are you saying the radio audio itself cuts out when turn signal on? If so, I don't think that is the way it is supposed to function. Mine does not lose audio, but the Clarion screen defaults to the respective camera when signal turned on. I know no way to stop that from happening. But it has no effect on the sound.

I do wish the side view cameras switched more quickly. For just changing lanes it takes so long to display that I have generally already checked mirrors and switched lanes before the picture even comes on!

2014 Seneca 37TS
Yes. The audio turns off. I agree. I've usually already changed lanes by the time the side view comes on. Also it's a bit annoying when I'm using the nav and the cameras are cycling after a turn and I'm trying to find my next turn. Thanks Walt, I'll try turning off the sound if I can find that.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
. Anyone know if it's possible to keep the radio from turning off every time you turn the turn signals on to change lanes and the side camera comes on?

Mine only does that when the nav is on and a route planned. I usually run with the nav off and have a separate Garmin. My wife is the navigator anyway.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote