Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
We too have the tankless water heater on our Greyhawk. When we bought ours, it was equipped with the first generation model. It did not have the adjustment knob that the Gen2 has now. It was simply a high/low switch. We have now switched to the Gen2, and have really enjoyed it. What you are experiencing sounds like limiting. If the temp is set too high, the high-heat sensor will trip and shut off the burner. After a few seconds, the water and sensor will cool, and the burner will reignite. The cycle will repeat itself again and again. Try turning the knob down to a lower temp setting. Jayco was useless when it came to resolving my issues with the original heater. Do yourself a favor and speak directly to Girard. They are very helpful and want you enjoy their product. It's possible that your problem is totally unrelated to this, but the issue I described is very common.

Brian, Mary, kids, beagle - Moose, and mutt - Maggie.
2012 Greyhawk 31FS
2013 Ford Explorer Toad
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #12
We had the generation 2 tankless unit in our Greyhawk. We had nothing but problems including what you describe. I had the dealer install a 2 gallon accumulator which helped but did not eliminate the problem. The final straw came when I discovered that the internal piping was not tightened down - it was only finger tight! The tankless systems in RVs work differently from houses. They have a manual flame adjustment that you must futz with depending on the input water temperature and flow rate. The higher the flow and the colder the water the higher the flame needs to be. It isn't a thermostatically controlled system. What is happening is the system does have a high temperature cutoff which explains the scalding water. Girard advised me to not mix with cold water and to turn on the hot water and leave it on and adjust the flame to suit. The problem is any variation in flow eg washing dishes, hands etc would cause the temp to drastically change. In addition it is antithetical to conserving water. My unit only has a 32 gallon water tank! Jayco replaced it with a conventional gas electric DSI unit. I am very happy with the replacement.

Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Thanks to all!

I fixed the problem of the hot water heater not coming on at all. It came to me in my sleep to try turning on the low point valves and as soon as I did that the hot water heater fired. Still have the problem with mixing the hot and cold. Thanks for all the comments and help. It will be going in for warranty work in June up in BC.
Attached Thumbnails
Vrji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
I am sorry folks are having problems like these, but doesn’t anyone check the operation of these systems and features on their new and expensive rigs before they leave the dealer's lot?
2013 Starcraft 266RKS
1999 Ford E350 V10 Chateau (6.8L, 4.11 LS)
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Might want to see if this will help in respect to mixing the hot and cold:

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V