Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #1

Seneca 37TS-Final decision help-Fuel tanks

Greetings everyone. I woke up one morning last week and decided that it's time to trade up from my 27.5 foot FunFinder toy hauler trailer to a super C. I think I will enjoy using my Jeep on our out west summer trips more than riding my Harley. My wife is less sure than I am.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on ordering a Seneca 37TS and reading page after page on this forum has really helped me with that decision. I've read almost as much as I can and today I will test drive one.

One concern after reading many posts here is the fuel tanks. I have read many threads here on the fuel tanks and range based on not being able to use the advertised 74 gallons diesel. How much of a pain is it fill both tanks? Not having used truck stop, can you use 2 pumps at once and what do you do at regular gas stations?

Thinking I will get about 9 mpg, what would be a realistic range? I wouldn't mind fueling being a pain if I don't have do it that often.

I know I will be posting many other questions and I appreciate your patience and answers. I won't sleep much until I finally order and then I won't sleep much waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF!

Getting into a station to get fuel in my Seneca while towing is actually easier than it was in my prior gas Class C since you use the truck diesel lanes. Straight in, straight out with the Seneca compared to making sure or waiting until I could get a gas pump that I could maneuver into without getting "trapped".

The truck lanes usually have dispensers on both sides, usually the driver's side dispenser has the display/card reader and the passenger side will just be a "satellite" dispenser. Once you have enabled your filling (*see below) you turn on the driver's side first. I remove the nozzle and just stick it in the tank filler securely (not pumping yet), then go to the passenger side and actually fill that tank first. Be careful, truck pumps really flow fast and splash and foam a lot if you are not careful. As the tank gets close to full slow down the pump to get the last few gallons in and to reduce the foaming. Once passenger side full I return the nozzle to the dispenser, cap that tank, and move to the driver's side. Then I fill driver's side and I'm done. If your copilot helps you can do both sides at once. I have only one set of fueling gloves so the wife is usually washing the windows while I do the fueling. I do suggest using a pair of gloves, the truck pumps are usually grungy. I have a big Ziploc bag I keep my gloves in, stuffed out of sight under the driver's seat when not in use.

*Some truck stops won't let you "Pre-pay at the pump" with your credit card. So to start your transaction you have to go inside first. Through Good Sam you can get a Pilot/Flying J account card that will let you pay at the pump, and having the card gets you a few cents discount per gallon off the cash price. Saves a little time while fueling and they email me a monthly statement. I have mine set up to automatically debit my checking account once a month.

I also have a Marathon station close to home where I fill it when here. I don't have a toad then, so maneuvering is much easier. No dual-pump truck lane there so I just fill the passenger side first, then maneuver to another pump to fill driver's side. Takes a little longer but no big deal.

I get anywhere from about 8 to 11 mpg, depending on whether I am towing, the terrain, and speed. I have gone 500 miles on the tanks putting 62 gallons in back in when I stopped. Gauge was reading empty and the low fuel warning light was on. I didn't like it that feeling at all and generally fill around 400 miles or so.

We love our TS, even the wife likes to drive it (rest stop to rest stop only, no maneuvering!) since it is so stable on the road. Our last Class C would get moved around by the wind and passing trucks much more and she hated that. I enjoy making "improvements" to our unit, many of which have been documented on this forum. I also can say our Jayco is the best-built of our 3 owned Class C units.

Good luck in your decision, I know from experience it is a big one!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

I agree with above response. I typically stop around 350 miles or so. It really isn't that big of s deal to not fully be able to utilize 74 gal tank. After 6 hours of driving even I'm usually ready for a break. Have been very pleased with the first year of owning our used '15 Seneca. This forum will help you come up with great mod ideas to make the rig even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

I ditto the above posts, truck stops are best (dual fueling) plus DEF if needed. Otherwise I fuel where I can find it, in tight quarters I'll opt to fuel one side and be on my way, even a single topped off tank can outlast my bladder, my stomach, or the need to let the kids run around. I occasionally find a regular station where the hose can reach across the hood and I can fill both sides without maneuvering.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #5

Hi Rob. Thanks for the response. It was reassuring. I checked your profile as I thought I read in one of your posts that you were a retired FF. I am also. Retired as a battalion chief from Miami-Dade in 2011. My son is a FF there now. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Hi Rob. Thanks for the response. It was reassuring. I checked your profile as I thought I read in one of your posts that you were a retired FF. I am also. Retired as a battalion chief from Miami-Dade in 2011. My son is a FF there now. Thanks again.
Yes, I retired as the Fire Chief after 33 years of service here in Akron, then took a position as Deputy Mayor for Public Safety for a bit. I miss the people and 90% of the job; but that other 10% used to really aggravate me and even keep me up at night! Now I just have to get my wife retired and we'll enjoy our Seneca even more!

If you do move forward please don't hesitate to ask questions here on the forum or through Private Messaging of other owners. You will find most of us here just want to help others enjoy their units as much as we enjoy our own!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Agree with above posts. Use truck stops when you can...they cost more per gallon normally than the smaller stations, but they are worth it for the convenience. Satellite fills and DEF stations make it a quick in and out. Having to go inside and pay sometimes is a pain, but it is not terrible. I have seen some places that have specific RV fill stations, where you get to pay at the pump and it is a duel fill setup away from the truckers. There is a flying J just west of Abeline TX on 20 that offers this. I am sure there are others too, but dont know about them yet.

You can also always just fill one and over the course of an hour or so it will split it over to the other tank as the fuel return line splits it back between the tanks.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

37ts

I found the question and answer very informative. We ordered our 37TS about 3 weeks ago. Can't wait for delivery
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Did you get an expected delivery date? What did you order?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #10

If I remember correctly critical fuel tank comments were about inaccurate gauges. I switched from a gas class A to a diesel class A for the ease of fueling at truck pumps even though the DP could be filled from one side. The Seneca must be filled from both sides.

While Flying J's may have RV pumps you still need to go to the truck lanes for DEF...so why bother?

I am finding more and more truck pumps that accept credit cards. If not, after sitting for hours, it's good to move around a bit.

9 mpg is good for planning purposes. I fill at about 400 miles or each day whichever comes first so I always have at least 200 miles or so in the tank. If the gauge was accurate I would drive on the 1/2's - at 1/2 tank look for fuel.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
If I remember correctly critical fuel tank comments were about inaccurate gauges.
My recollection is the same. I don't think anyone ever reported they actually ran out of fuel before they used all 74 gallons, it is just that many of the Seneca fuel gauges read artificially low. My gauge seems to be slightly more accurate than what some other owners have reported, just lucky I guess!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
I have nothing of substance to add, but I see you're in Davie...I grew up in Cooper City and worked at the Davie PD many years ago. Just thought I'd say Hi! Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Did you get an expected delivery date? What did you order?
We ordered the Seneca 37TS, standard dining area and couch. Delivery is to be 10 to 12 weeks after order. I spoke with the agent and she said Jayco motor homes are tracking pretty close to schedule. We will see!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

Truck stops are definitely the way to go. We store ours out of town, currently, and it doesn't have a truck stop. It's about the only place I get fuel at that isn't, though. -Even then, the hassle is minimal. This one time, though..... I had filled my pass. tank, then got in to turn my rig around to fill the driver's and some jack-wagon pulled into my space. -That's the worst experience I had and was mitigated by pulling into the next available space and angrily glaring at him for a solid 6 seconds eliciting a sorry shrug from said jack-wagon (as you can see, I've since forgiven the fellow-motorist, however, we've lost contact over time so I'm not certain if the feeling's mutual). Given the amount of power and room you're going to have, the fuel anxiety is small potatoes.

Good luck on your new rig!
Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #15

Seneca fueling

Truck stops are the way. The negatives are walking to the cashier, hot food in the glass cases, and diesel spills. The offerings are some of the most unhealthy appearing heart-attack-in-a-bag. The spills can be huge with the volume the nozzles allow. Don't want to track the smell inside on your carpet. Invest in some Freightliner M-2 specific carpet floor mats to save the OEM shag carpet. The tan matches the shag very well and have stood up to Simple Green.
https://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/fre...l#.WJT3YPkrJaQ
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #16

Hi Dan. A good friend of mine is now the number 2 at Davie PD.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #17

I think most everything has been covered, but I got to the point where I was comfortable going 500 miles between fill-ups in our Seneca. We averaged just over 10 mpg and I typically kept the cruise around 68. Interestingly enough, we seemed to get the same mileage whether we were towing our Honda CR-V or not.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #18

I cannot wait to afford one of these. However. I'm only 33 and am not exactly at the point I need to be. Maybe I'll buy one of y'alls when the time comes. Can't WAIT!!!

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #19

Ha that's me. This forum has made me a Jayco fan. And my wife have actually considered not getting another brand class A just to stay with Jayco. Maybe*. We just love the 40ft of freedom. But these senecas are amazing!!

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1083 View Post
But these senecas are amazing!!
2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
It really comes down to - "Do you want a TRUCK or a bus?" Everything is a compromise and a trade off. We are extremely happy with our choice, for us.
As they say, your results may vary. We like that big hunk of iron out in front of us, when going down the road. And we find a certain comfort level of the Freightliner dealers around the Country being able to resolve any problems with the M2. So far, at 30,000 miles only 2 small warranty oil leaks and both resolved without question.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote