Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Seneca Bigfoot Leveler

On another thread, we were talking about leveling blocks and such and it got me to wondering if anyone else noticed this on theirs or if mine is either odd or malfunctioning.

1) Auto-Leveling stinks... Most of the time, I skip auto-leveling because despite being on nearly perfectly level ground, auto-level will result in my front wheels being 4-8 inches in the air and me being keenly aware of my previous hip surgeries every time I walk the pooch. (It never fails to get us almost perfectly level, it just tends to use the entire stroke of the jacks to do it rather than how I prefer by just barely bumping it in closer to the ground) I just chalked this up to being something not fully fleshed out with the supplier and just deal with it by packing my trusty I-Beam level and putting it into manual mode.

2) Air Dump light lasts for 45sec - 1min before I can begin manually leveling. I would think, in a perfect world, that bigfoot intended for there to be an air dump solenoid on the bags to drop the coach off the bags before beginning the leveling procedure and it would request the same for manual. -I don't believe our coaches have this component (at least mine doesn't or it doesn't work, one of the two) as that obviously doesn't happen until I raise the rear end several inches with the jacks and wait for 1 -2 min for the air to release. (I would have thought Robbyr would have talked us all into buying such a thing by now, if it were even remotely possible to add in)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

The 2017 Seneca does not use the Bigfoot system. My rear suspension air begins dumping as soon as the rear lifts start lifting. I have noticed the auto-level works best if you dump the rear air and get the rear suspension very low before auto leveling.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

The Equalizer system used on the 2017 has a "null out" function that lets the user reset what the leveling system sees as "level". Does your system have this capability? When I first got mine, the auto-level was off quite a bit until I performed a null out.
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

I was just reading the 2017 manual about the equalizer system that your coach has: The documentation is significantly more thorough than what is provided on the Bigfoot system in my 2014.

I am not aware of a way to do that with my system.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

No "air dump" light on the Equalizer. In fact, you don't have to dump air before using auto-level. I have noticed that if you don't, the front tends to extend (elevate) more. Also, the rear will not elevate much and you have to adjust later because the rear suspension slowly looses air and settles. Best to manually get rid of most, if not all, of the rear suspension air.
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 06-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

I do dump the air by manually raising the rear as high as possible (with the front tires chocked), usually do it twice to completely empty the system. After I lower it back down then I autolevel and it seems to do okay. But if I go straight to auto it leaves the front high as you experience.

I do plan to install an air dump solonoid and switch in the future, another owner put a manual valve near the rear tires to do the same thing.

I'm sure you also get the "AirLiner Scoot" as I call it when coming down off the jacks, apparently a byproduct of our AirLiner rear suspension. Another reason I chock, to keep from dragging the jacks!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Mine was always nose high after I used the Big Foot auto level. I would then go to manual and get it level. I pulled out the Big Foot book one day and read how to reset the system for level. Some day when your all set up perfectly level call Big Foot and they will walk you through the procedure. It's not hard, I read the procedure several times then tried it. It levels perfect every time now.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

Robbyr, I definitely get the scoot on mine, too. After squishing a number of the yellow plastic chalks, I ended up getting out the chainsaw and making some out of some 6x6 treated, which I absolutely love. Before that I have actually seen my rig roll uphill coming off the jacks, which was a very odd sight to see.

Robby, does going to manual on your system make you wait for the air dump light?

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm glad to know the things I have just taken for granted as normal Seneca quirks, are indeed normal quirks.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Robby, does going to manual on your system make you wait for the air dump light?.
My air dump light never comes on. Must be some sort of option I don't have programmed. Does yours ever light up?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Yes. Once I press and hold manual for 8 sec. the air dump light comes on for around 45-60sec, only after it goes off can I move my jacks.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
Mine was always nose high after I used the Big Foot auto level. I would then go to manual and get it level. I pulled out the Big Foot book one day and read how to reset the system for level. Some day when your all set up perfectly level call Big Foot and they will walk you through the procedure. It's not hard, I read the procedure several times then tried it. It levels perfect every time now.
I too had the same problem on my '14 FK. The front end was always sky high. I read the manual (of course mine has bigfoot but cam e with another companies manual, that was a pain to figure out) for the big foot, manually leveled the coach as low as I could and reset the level. Was very simple and have not had a problem in last 8 months.

The only time I find I have problems with the auto level is on extremely unlevel ground. This is the only time I have to manually level.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My air dump light never comes on. Must be some sort of option I don't have programmed. Does yours ever light up?
Robbbyr, you can set up air dump as part of the resetting of the level in the system.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #13

jcoyle, my coach has NO documentation on the bigfoot system. Would you be able to provide a link to the manual or a model number so I can request it from bigfoot, themselves?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
jcoyle, my coach has NO documentation on the bigfoot system. Would you be able to provide a link to the manual or a model number so I can request it from bigfoot, themselves?
http://nebula.wsimg.com/e9d87f917db1...&alloworigin=1

I'm not exactly an IT guy, let me know if that link works. It's just off the Bigfoot website.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #15

I should note that when in "Zero" mode, I had no luck with being able to retract the jacks. The manual says it is possible but I would always end up leaving zero mode and having to start again.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
Robbbyr, you can set up air dump as part of the resetting of the level in the system.
Very interesting possibility, but I would have to still install the air plumbing and a dump valve (solonoid). But if it dumped through the leveling controls that would be ideal. You have given me another avenue to explore!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Very interesting possibility, but I would have to still install the air plumbing and a dump valve (solonoid). But if it dumped through the leveling controls that would be ideal. You have given me another avenue to explore!
See!!!!!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #18

I managed to re-zero my system, thanks to everyone's help, and managed to get the air dump feature disabled in doing so! Much happier of a camper, now!

Now all we need is for Robbyr to set us up with a parts list and schematics for auto air dump from the bigfoot!!!!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Now all we need is for Robbyr to set us up with a parts list and schematics for auto air dump from the bigfoot!!!!
Rebuilding my deck now, promised my wife several years ago that when I retired I would. Then have a New England trip coming the end of the month. After that the attention goes back to the Seneca. Air dump, SeeLevel tank gauges, and macerator wiring!
Attached Thumbnails
20170606_210926.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #20

My 2014 ts Bigfoot manual has install instructions for air dump valves. Says you will need one for each air leveling valve (we have two). It refers to a wire in the bigfoot harness, but I haven't checked to see if it's really there.
I talked to bigfoot when we first got our Seneca and the dump valves were available from them for about $80 ea in 2014.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote