Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

Seneca Driving Impressions

I was able to test drive a Seneca today. I'd like to share my impressions and get your feedback. Currently I have a 27.5 foot bumper pull toy hauler weighing in loaded with Harley in back at about 7,500-8,000 pounds. I pull with my F150 3.5 F150 Ecoboost with max tow package.

The Seneca handled well. I felt like I was driving a truck. The noise level was less than I expected. Driving on the highway at 75 mph, which I would never do, was fine. Truck tracked straight and there was no drama at all. It did have the whistle I've read about but I could not find the holes in the mirror bracket to plug. Overall it felt very solid and pleasant to drive.

The air seats seem like they would be good if I knew the proper way to adjust them. The cruise controls button were kind of difficult to operate since they were on the dash instead of the wheel. Just need to get used to it.

Power. I think I may need to adjust my expectations. I realize that this RV weighs upward of 22,000 pounds but I was somewhat disappointed in the acceleration. Even at full throttle from a stop it was very slow to get up to speed. I am not sure how comfortable I will be merging onto a crowded highway. On the highway I floored it expecting the passing gear to kick in and it didn't. Didn't see how to take it out of overdrive so maybe there is something I am missing.

Other than the acceleration, I was very happy with the drivability. I wonder how it will be when loaded and pulling a toad. As I said, I may just need to adjust my expectations. Is the Seneca about like others in seat of the pants power?

Overall, I really like the Seneca. and if you all tell me this is how motor homes drive then I will accept that. Thanks
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #2

For me I knew it would not be the fastest thing out there, but for being a 6.7 and having less power and torque than a Ford Super Duty, I have to say I was not too disappointed. The Allison trans does a really good job. It took me a while to get used to basically having my foot to the floor pretty much all the time when accelerating at all, but after I got used to that, I was comfortable with that. I will tell you, make your life easy...dont drive it like a car at 10 and 2. Put your arm rests down, sit your elbows on those and hold it at 4 and 8, your body will thank you later.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

First time I drove it I had the same impression you did, under powered. I don't feel that way now. I tow a Jeep and with a full load for a winter in the south it now seems just fine. I can send you photos of where the holes are that cause the whistle noise. They are in the top mirror bracket where it mirror bolts to the door.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Seneca 37 drive

You'll get use to the pick up, what you want is the low RPM's with a full load. I had a 37' diesel pusher prior and it was not the quickest out of the hole but once up to speed it just cruised along. Also the air seats are no longer available in the 2017 models.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #5

Also, not that it will make a huge difference, but the motor will get a little stronger once it's broken in. It won't take any where near as long in a Seneca as it does in a pickup since right from the beginning there is a good load on the motor. Don't think that a diesel will drive the same way as a gas motor. Peak torque is at 1600 rpm, not at 2500 or 3000. Put a trailer behind it, the acceleration stays the same. You will hardly know it's back there. Gas motors need to scream rpm' to tow, diesels don't. Once you learn what to expect out of the motor, you will love it.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

I have to say this post brought back some memories… and some real lessons learned now that we did buy the one we test drove last year.

My friend Ron met me at CW for the test drive – he is a Fleet Service Manager for a huge construction company here in Utah that has hundreds of pieces of Diesel equipment, from Dump Trucks, Over the Road Trucks to Yellow Iron. Once I thought we were about done with our short test drive – he convinced me to take the Seneca up a 10% Grade “said screw the salesman and what he thinks… let’s see for ourselves”

The Dealership essentially started up the Seneca and said “Lets go” and it was not anything close to being warmed up. (they had to clear snow off the slides to get them in – before the test drive) Now that we own it – that is the truth of how it runs! The first hour on the road is lethargic and not anywhere near what it is capable of. If we let it warm up a half-hour and get the engine temp ¾ to normal operating temp before we leave - there is a world of difference.

On our test drive – the first 30 minutes were disappointing – I did not know about the Overdrive switch (it was in overdrive) – that and the cold temperature issues were almost enough to make me say “NO”. but once it got up to temperature, and the overdrive switch was flipped – we took it up over Suncrest and that was impressive. The other side is about 4 miles of 6% grade and the Engine brake made the sale. The trip back to the dealership was 12 miles back to the dealer.

Now a year later… We pull our trailer with our Toyota FJC and all our toys – that weighs in the 7k—9k range and total GCVW of the Seneca came in at 32,400Lbs. Lots of miles on that trip and we decided to really test this combination on the way back home – taking SR20 over the summit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_20
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

Dito to all the first impressions and positive comments once you understand what to expect and get used to what you're driving. I absolutely love our 2016 Seneca. I drove a few diesel pushers (Newmar being the higher end of what I drove), and I was much more pleased with the Seneca. I just had my toad rigged up but have not yet towed it behind the Seneca, but I expect it will be confirmed that I won't even know I have 6k lbs behind me.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #8

When we bought our 2015 Seneca, we moved up from a Ford E-450-based class C. In comparison, the Seneca was a dream to drive - I could do a full day of driving and not be completely exhausted by the end.

There were some quirks that took me a while to figure out (thanks, in no small part, to this forum) - turning off the overdrive on uphill grades, kicking off the cruise on the downhill to allow the exhaust brake to work. I think the overdrive lock-out was removed on the later models, unfortunately, but I think you can get the same result by simply putting the pedal on the floor to kick it down a gear.

We traded our Seneca in on a DP earlier this month. Although the DP we bought has significantly more power and better acceleration, I found the Seneca to be much easier and more comfortable to drive. Part of it is just getting used to something new, but the Seneca was REALLY easy to drive and extremely maneuverable for its size.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
When we bought our 2015 Seneca, we moved up from a Ford E-450-based class C. In comparison, the Seneca was a dream to drive - I could do a full day of driving and not be complete exhausted by the end.
I also moved from an E-450 Class C to my '14 Seneca. Same feelings as anav8or. I've never owned a big trailer so I cannot compare a Seneca with that. I also agree with others that it doesn't seem to develop full power until completely warmed up. And mine did seem to run better after about 5,000 miles.

You may see reference to the Overdrive cutoff switch in some posts. It prevents the Allison from using 5th and 6th gear, limiting the transmission to gears 1 - 4. 4th is direct drive, both 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios in our Senecas. But for some reason Jayco and/or Freightliner decided they did not need to be installed anymore. I think that is a shame, I use mine regularly in hilly country to prevent lugging the engine going uphill and enhance downhill engine braking where appropriate.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

All your responses are making me feel better. How is power climbing mountain passes with a toad. We go to Colorado each summer and I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler. I know I won't doing 65 mph while climbing but what is a reasonable expectation while going up step grades?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
I can send you photos of where the holes are that cause the whistle noise. They are in the top mirror bracket where it mirror bolts to the door.
Yes, please let me know about the holes. The whistling was annoying. Thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #12

I'm having a problem up loading the photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0320.JPG   IMG_0318.JPG   IMG_0319.JPG  
Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
All your responses are making me feel better. How is power climbing mountain passes with a toad. We go to Colorado each summer and I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler. I know I won't doing 65 mph while climbing but what is a reasonable expectation while going up step grades?
Last year we traveled all the way across UT and CO on I-70 towing our 2014 Explorer (about 5,000 lbs.). While we were not speed demons able to keep up with the cars on the big grades, we were able to pass most of the trucks! I never felt I was an impediment to traffic but I can't say I was watching the speedometer. Being a turbo diesel it doesn't lose too much power at altitude, seemed to pull just as hard at 11,000 feet as it does at sea level. Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel was a non-issue.

Picture below at beautiful Tiger Run Resort near Breckenridge.
Attached Thumbnails
20160613_161354.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #14

Ok, got it. You can see the stuff I filled the holes with, about $2 at Home Depot. The holes are in the top mirror beaxket on each door, top and bottom of the bracket. Expand the photos and you can see the Puddy I put in. That stuff never dries hard and you can pull it out of you want to.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

I took a slightly different approach to the mirror bracket holes.

In the lower bracket holes I went to the local big box store and bought black plastic plugs. Those lower holes don't seem to be the cause of the whistle but I thought it made them look better!

On the upper bracket holes I applied black Gorilla tape carefully trimmed to the contours of the brackets. It survived last year's travels (almost 10,000 miles) and 4 trips through a Blue Beacon truck wash.

Different ways to tackle the problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Lower mirror bracket.jpg   Top mirror bracket.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

Picture below at beautiful Tiger Run Resort near Breckenridge.
We were there last summer for the month of September. We were directly across from the clubhouse. I love that place.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
We were there last summer for the month of September. We were directly across from the clubhouse. I love that place.
We loved it too, had our daughter and grandsons with us and they especially loved the pool!

Some places that use "resort" in their name don't qualify IMHO, but Tiger Run lives up to that description.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
We traded our Seneca in on a DP earlier this month. Although the DP we bought has significantly more power and better acceleration, I found the Seneca to be much easier and more comfortable to drive.
What's a DP?
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
What's a DP?
Diesel pusher Class A
Old 02-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post