Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #1

Seneca Engine Noise

Just took our first 1600 mile trip with our new 2015 Seneca. First I will report our gas mileage on flat surface towing was 10 mpg, in the Mountains we got 9.5. Very Happy!!!! Here is a question, I have seen post on chirping engine but mine had more of a rock stuck in tire sound, could only hear it when window was down driving at almost any speed, is this normal? Yes I checked for rocks.... lol
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

I had a loud clicking noise from the left front tire as well. I removed the steel cover which is secured with the 2 lugs and the noise completely stopped. I reinstalled but did not torque the lugs as tight as they were and still no clicking. I was told the steel binds on the aluminum rim if they are too tight. I hope this helps….We just got the same unit a week ago and had a loud whistle over 45mph, don't know if you have the same, but there are holes in the top of the mirror mounts for the hardware which are at the perfect angle for the wind to pass over and make the most annoying whistle. I just put a small piece of electrical tape over each side for now and will find a screw cap later for a better fix.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

I had the same sound from the left front wheel, checked the hub cab to no avail.. The coach is at Freightliner having new spindles and wheel bearings installed. Freightliner dealer I'm working with is awesome, they were dumbfounded how the spindles were bent ultimately causing the bearings to fail. They indicated the rig must have been dropped at some pint to bend the spindles. Yikes.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Sure like jayconewbie repair better then yours LSA376, lol. Will try hubs first and see what happens then take to Freightliner in no better results. Thank you both for the response.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

jayconewbie, took off hubs and no clicking. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Awesome! I'm definitely keeping an eye (or ear) on this one after hearing LSA376's issue…..
Old 11-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Jayconewbie, make sure you check power steering hose in engine compartment. Check out my post in forum with pictures.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #8

There is a fix for the chirping engine noise. Freightliner and Jayco should know about it. Call Jayco and ask what the fix is. It's a kit that Freightliner has to order. Just had ours fixed in BC this last summer at Freightliner.
Vrji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #9

We just got ours back from having the chirping noise fixed. There is a recall notice on it, our Freightliner shop had not heard of it but did some calling, ordered the parts and got it fixed for us. My husband said he thinks he can still faintly hear it, but only when the radio is off and it is quite in the cab. Said he is happy with that. Before even with the radio on at a reasonable sound level he could hear it. Even then it was around 65 mph that he could hear it. Parts took a few days to get.
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayconewbie View Post
I had a loud clicking noise from the left front tire as well. I removed the steel cover which is secured with the 2 lugs and the noise completely stopped. I reinstalled but did not torque the lugs as tight as they were and still no clicking. I was told the steel binds on the aluminum rim if they are too tight. I hope this helps….We just got the same unit a week ago and had a loud whistle over 45mph, don't know if you have the same, but there are holes in the top of the mirror mounts for the hardware which are at the perfect angle for the wind to pass over and make the most annoying whistle. I just put a small piece of electrical tape over each side for now and will find a screw cap later for a better fix.
Thank you for your great help. Have a 2015 37rb and had the whistle noise. New door gaskets didn't help. Plugged the hole in the top of mirror mount with 9/16 plastic plugged. Problem solved. Also have the clicking noise out of both front wheels. Will take your advise once again. If it is the steel cover causing the noise I can live with that. Thanks for your help. Small things can drive me crazy. I noticed when I removed the steel cover not all lug nut holes were covered with rubber. Wonder if this makes a difference?
sunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

whistle noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsen View Post
Thank you for your great help. Have a 2015 37rb and had the whistle noise. New door gaskets didn't help. Plugged the hole in the top of mirror mount with 9/16 plastic plugged. Problem solved. Also have the clicking noise out of both front wheels. Will take your advise once again. If it is the steel cover causing the noise I can live with that. Thanks for your help. Small things can drive me crazy. I noticed when I removed the steel cover not all lug nut holes were covered with rubber. Wonder if this makes a difference?
Can you go into more depth about the hole you plugged. I have a 2915 37ts and the only holes I see are just the counter sunk holes on the mounting bracket for the upper mirror frame. There are 4 holes, they have bolts/screws in them, It does not seem like there is anything to fill on drivers side.
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #12

The hole you need to plug is at the very top of where the mirror itself is mounted to the bracket. It is not where the bracket is mounted to the door. You will have to get a ladder or stand on the entrance steps with the door open to get at it. There is a bolt that goes thru the hole which has openings top and bottom. You only need to plug the top one to stop the whistle
sunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

do you have a part number my freightliner dealer is playing dumb
loracnh5 is offline   Reply With Quote