Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Seneca Fireplace Issue

Hi all -

We ran into an issue with the Dimplex fireplace in our Seneca last night and wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. All but one of the lights (I believe there are LED bulbs in there) went out, and we noticed the distinct odor of burnt plastic coming from the blower (it was still blowing warm air). I've since unplugged the thing until I can get it looked at.

Anyone run into anything like this?
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

No but I had a module that affected one of the furnace functions go out on mine and had to remove the furnace to replace the module. The bulbs inside were not LED's but it is a 2011 model year.

If it is in warranty, call Dimplex. They were good to deal with and sent me the module but offered to send a tech to my house to replace it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks, Norty1. I tried calling Dimplex yesterday but there was a 20 minute wait and cell service here on the NC coast isn't all that great. I'll give them a call when I get back to home base. Good to know that they are good to deal with.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 12-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
Hi all -

We ran into an issue with the Dimplex fireplace in our Seneca last night and wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. All but one of the lights (I believe there are LED bulbs in there) went out, and we noticed the distinct odor of burnt plastic coming from the blower (it was still blowing warm air). I've since unplugged the thing until I can get it looked at.

Anyone run into anything like this?
I wonder if this is related to the layout in the 36FK. We have the fireplace our our 36FK shutting down ONLY when the Gas Furnace is running... and are starting to think that the Hot air from the furnace vent at the steps is blowing right on the output of the fireplace - and it is having trouble blowing out the heated air from the Fireplace.

It did it again last night...
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #5

I realized today that I didn't close the loop on this. It turned out to be a problem with the LED controller board. I did get in touch with Dimplex and they advised replacing the LED bulbs and the heater assembly (they insisted there were two different issues). I ordered the bulbs, heater assembly, and, on a hunch, a replacement LED controller board.

I replaced the circuit board and the lights worked, so the bulbs were fine. I went ahead and replaced the heater assembly since I already had it apart. Good as new!

The hardest part of the process was getting the mounting screws out - they're installed at an angle and darn difficult to get out with the glass in place. On our unit, the wood surrounding the fireplace was too tight to get the glass off without removing the entire unit.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

SloPoke, the Dimplex fireplace has a thermostat and it's probably shutting down because the heat from the furnace has satisfied the setting on the thermostat. Info in the Dimplex manual.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
SloPoke, the Dimplex fireplace has a thermostat and it's probably shutting down because the heat from the furnace has satisfied the setting on the thermostat. Info in the Dimplex manual.
We don't even use the heat in the fireplace if the furnace is on. We just fire up the fireplace to take the chill out of the living room area. It works great all by itself. But of course, we are in Georgia most of the time and the lows only get into the 20's occasionally.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Was the unit still not under warranty?