Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #21

I finally had a chance to work on my Seneca today since it I picked it up from Jayco Service last month. One item I had them address while they had it was my sagging freshwater tank.

Once underneath it much to my surprise Jayco installed 1 x 1 steel tubes bolted to the top of the frame rails very similar to what byrdbody did to support the bottom of the compartment the tank resides in. Jayco drilled the top web of the rail to bolt the cross braces down. Apparently they are not concerned about that affecting frame integrity. As mentioned by another, it is behind the rear axle where I have to agree the frame is less stressed.

So byrdbody was on the very same track the factory service was/is. Now I just need to fill the tank up and see what it looks like!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #22

I bet these people at Jayco watch these posts and apply ideas from us guys.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I bet these people at Jayco watch these posts and apply ideas from us guys.
I certainly hope so. You guys have come up with some simple ingenious ideas to make improvements.
WorldCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #24

I think I solved two problems in one move

When out in the hills seems we needed more water, I found a 50 gallon tank that fit perfectly between the rails. so the process to build a tank that is insulated and protected is a tough one but worth it, the pictures show the results. When I cranked the tank up, the floor went up solving the upper water tank sag. I put the filler inlet right next to the fill in the water center so using a small 6" transfer hose should be able to use the farm fill switch to top up main tank. Tank has 1 inch of foam insulation surrounded by wire mesh than attached to mounting plates so it should not move and keep it safe from road debris and rocks, hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0218.JPG   IMG_0219.JPG   IMG_0220.JPG   IMG_0221 (1).JPG   IMG_0222.JPG  

ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #25

Ok so I got 1 problem solved, now carry more water, but filled all the tanks and the tank bulge everybody seems to have is ahead of my tank so I will try reinforcing the floor and square tubing idea
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #26

Recently when filling the fresh water tank I noticed that it appeared to be much lower then I remembered. I drained it and once empty I tried to lift it to where it was before. I found that the tank had not only dropped but had actually shifted 3-4 inches and appeared to be stoped from moving any further by the tank outlet/fill line and the overflows. I decided to pull the tank and reinforce the compartment floor. I did as others did and installed
pt 2x6 "joists" under between the compartment and the frame. I then installed 1 inch insulation under the tank and installed new overflows with valves. I have not added a strap to keep the tank in place but will do that in the next few weeks. I can not believe that other than a piece of styrofoam and the water lines this tank is not secured.

A few photos of the collapsed bay prior to new supports and the tank out of the bay. I did measure the tank it it does come in at 70gallons. It was fairly deformed and is now square again with the Better supports under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #27

Pictures of the repair

RVermont,
Would you post any pictures of your upgrade/repair. I also see this happening with mine and see the problem with the tank laying against the floor of that compartment. I think when I have mine out I will add a tank heater.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #28

1st is the supports under the compartment. Next two are new overflow lines on the left and drain/fill line on the right. Then one with 1" insulation under the tank. Finally with the carpeted cover on. I will clean this up after our trip. I want to increase the drain line size and repute the vent line to eliminate the need for the valves.

The marks on the side were from my original tank filling. The tank was leaning so far down due to sag that I lost 15 gallons of water storage. I will remark this now that I have gained this volume. I also might change the supports over to steel in the future.

Hope this helps.

Hope everyone stays safe with this next storm moving through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote