Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Seneca house battery's and generator issue.

First off thanks for the real world answers for my previous post and guestions.

My latest item to figure out is the generator will not start after we spent some of the weekend getting things put away from our previous RV +-7 hours with lights and radio on for a few hours. (Half of the interior lights are LED)

Here is what I know
1) I just returned from two days a being plugged in and 500 mikes of driving. The battery's should be charged?
2) The age of the battery's is 2 years old.+- the rig is a 2014 so could be pushing 3??
3)It will not start with the engine running.
4)It sounds like the fuel pump is running when pushing the start or prime button.
5)The coach battery's were low but after running the coach engine the batterys show 3/4 full still no start.
6) The generator control panel shows the the battery on empty, does it have its own battery?
7) Does the generator use the house or engine batteries?

Today I'm going to check for a bad ground and tighten up the battery post nuts.

Note: I have not tried to figure out the auto program start feature yet, does that feature need to be used all the time because there is a huge draw on the batteries?

Thanks again
Dan L.
Doormandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Geny should be on the house batteries. Won't start or doesn't crank? If it's cranking and not starting how low is your fuel tank? If your below 1/4 you are probably not getting fuel since that is the safety so you don't get stranded while using the geny. No auto start is not necessary for normal operation.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

Just heading in to edit my post.

No crank at all just the fuel pump running

The fuel shows 3/4 full. 150 miles since the last fuel stop.

It sounds like the fuel pump is running not clicking like a dead battery. I have it plugged in now to see if that changes anything.

Should it get help from the engine battery if you push the button under the dash. I understand that is to help start the engine if the coach battery is low but I would think it might work both ways?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

I wouldn't hurt to try using the Emergency start while trying to crank the geny.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

This issue is resolved, after reading the manual(the preheat can take up words of 15 seconds before allowing it to start depending on the O/S temp. It took all of 15 seconds before it cranked. When we used it last it was in the mid 80s today it's +- 65. It cranked over without waiting when it was a warmer day. It does not seam cold enough to cause the delay but regardless it works.

Thanks again for your help.