Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

Seneca Hubcaps

Today I learned how to take the hubcap off the Alcoa wheels. Only two of the lug nuts are removable. Those two are identified by a small indentation on the side of my he nut. When you take those two nuts off the hubcap comes off and the rest of them that are pressed into the cap remain on.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Something I learned about my identical caps, mine seemed to "flex" and make a speed-dependent clicking or creaking noise after I removed and reinstalled the front covers. At first thought it was a front wheel bearing making the noise. Checked the forums and it was something several other Seneca owners reported. In my case it was even starting to wear into the wheel finish where the cap met the wheel.

I solved mine by getting some 1/4" clear vinyl tubing at Home Depot, slicing it with a razor knife lengthwise so I could slip the tubing onto the edge of the wheel cover. Used 3 pieces per cover thereby leaving several small gaps for any water to escape from underneath and reinstalled covers. Now the vinyl tubing is in contact with the wheel surface, not a sharp sheet metal edge. No more noise.

Don't know if the rears have similar issues, too far back to hear I suppose.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #3

Robbbyr, Thats a very interesting fix ! I heard the same clicking sound on my Maiden trip in Dec and was going to bring to the dealer to get fixed.....didn't even know the source of the problem !

I will try your solution using Mnwelsh's tip on the lug nuts....awesome use of this forum !
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Had same problem, used catherer tubing to fix.
Also, paint coming off all exterior plastic surfaces, were not painted with plastic adhering paint. having to redo all.
The unit has 50,000 miles. The anti lock brake controller quit at 35000 mi. GM would not repair. Cost $1600.00.

All drawer slide mountings came apart, rebuilt all.
Water heater mis wired, burned wiring. Rewired to main dist. panel.
R E SHARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy View Post
Robbbyr, Thats a very interesting fix ! I heard the same clicking sound on my Maiden trip in Dec and was going to bring to the dealer to get fixed.....didn't even know the source of the problem !

I will try your solution using Mnwelsh's tip on the lug nuts....awesome use of this forum !
To confirm the diagnosis of the covers being the source of the noise just remove the covers and go for a drive with the windows down. Helpful to have a passenger listen on that side too if possible. Pick a mild day and a quiet road so you can see if the noise is truly gone.

I talked to Jayco a year ago when I isolated the noise, their only suggestion was to figure out a way to separate the two parts. Maybe by now they have a better suggestion or even a revised cover they may provide to those of us with the issue. I would ask them when you visit the dealer.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

We have not noticed this problem, but rate this a very good bit of information to know. Had know idea that two of the bolts were real. So far haven't investigated much in the wheel area, except to clean the wheels once and found a very sharp edge on one of the wheel holes. Won't be so vigorous wiping on inside of those holes in the future. Took over a week for that wound to heal.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

The 2016's still have the same issue! I will be stealing Robbbyr's clear tubing trick.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

This setup makes cleaning the wheels easier.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
This setup makes cleaning the wheels easier.
I use the exact same thing.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #10

I thought our Seneca Alcoa wheels have a factory-applied protective finish. Is that compound /method abrasive and possibly damaging to the finish?

I thought I received a one-page Alcoa document in my huge pack of delivery paperwork that had care instructions, but my unit is at the factory now or I would double-check.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #11

There was nothing in the ligature from Jayco that I received about the Alcoa wheels. I don't think there is any protective coatings on them. If you use a basic polish of any kind the rag immediately turns black as the polish works. To me, that means your working directly with the aluminum and not working through a protective coating like General Motors put on their truck wheels for years that became a huge problem.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
There was nothing in the ligature from Jayco that I received about the Alcoa wheels. I don't think there is any protective coatings on them. If you use a basic polish of any kind the rag immediately turns black as the polish works. To me, that means your working directly with the aluminum and not working through a protective coating like General Motors put on their truck wheels for years that became a huge problem.
Good to know, my wheels appear to be "water-spotted" and the spots did not come off with normal cleaning. Was going to investigate further, but I think you have helped me determine my plan of action. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Great info!!! Thanks Mnwelsh. Nice paint job by the way!!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #14

Perhaps another solution might be to apply a piece of "door edge guard" to the edge of each hubcap. It is inexpensive and available at almost any autoparts store. one advantage might be that it has an adhesive in the "groove" that would help hold in place while applying. Also it is available in a "chrome" finish which would match up nicely.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #15

My wheels had a ton of water spots when it was delivered. I tried to clean them off many times by hand using several products. The Mothers Aluminum polish, the polishing cone and my drill did the job. It's a little tricky at first but you will get the hang of it with practice. The back wheels are hardest because they are so deep.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Perhaps another solution might be to apply a piece of "door edge guard" to the edge of each hubcap. It is inexpensive and available at almost any autoparts store. one advantage might be that it has an adhesive in the "groove" that would help hold in place while applying. Also it is available in a "chrome" finish which would match up nicely.
I had the same thought initially, but my local AutoZone only had edge protector meant to slip over something much thicker (a door edge) than the hub cover. It was quite large and I tried it, but it would not stay "closed up" on the cover, and was very obvious so I removed it. The tubing I used is clear and (IMHO) barely visible. I have pointed it out to others and they have to actually look hard to see it.

If someone makes a smaller material in chrome it probably would be easier and look even better. But what I found locally just didn't work for me.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

The hub cap clicking problem is talked about on another discussion forum. Someone said the clicking is caused by over tightening. They loosened the nuts just a little, and the clicking stopped! I tried something a little different. I removed the hubcaps, cut short pieces of round foam rubber like is used to insulate refrigerated pipes. I placed them inside the fake hollow acorn nuts. I put the caps back on with less nut tension. It worked for me.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote