Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Seneca oil change

I have had my 2015 Seneca a year now and it has about 4000 miles on it. I am guessing the chassis is a 2014 but who knows. So the original oil in it is probably due to be replaced. I pulled the dipstick and it was so black - probably because of all that EPA crapped strapped to this motor.

So I picked up an oil filter, Wix filter #57182 and 5 gallons of Shell Rotella 15w40.

After I brief assessment of the job I knew the oil filter was going to be the biggest issue. The location is bad. You can see it from under the hood but you can't get to it due to too many things in the way. Best approach is from underneath. After trying to loosen the filter (1-2hours) I determined that the mfg must have installed the filter without lubricating the filter o-ring. I managed to find an 18-wheeler truck shop 30 miles away who was willing to have one of their mechanics loosen it up for me. No charge! Thank you MHC Kenworth in Dallas. They used a different kind of oil filter wrench I was not familiar with. Picture attached. This guy made quick work of what I spent an hour messing with and got no where. It's all about the right tool. With this you can add 12-18" extension from underneath to remove the filter. I got this through Amazon.

Next issue is having a 20+ quart oil pan. To make the next oil change easy I installed a Fumoto valve. Mine took an M22-1.5 which is Fumoto part #FG7BNS. This has a ball valve in it and you can attach a hose to the nipple and run straight into your container. Bye-bye oil pan and spills. The valve has a collar you can also buy that prevents the valve from opening. There is a rubber cover you can purchase to keep debris out of the valve nipple too.

Owners Manual shows 17 quart for standard pan. I just finished this so I may still need to adjust.

I also changed the oil on the generator and installed a Fumoto valve on it as well.

Next year will be so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
TNortham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Fumoto valve
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Very good information! I've had cases where I didn't have the right oil filter wrench for a job and ended up with screwdrivers stabbed in the side of the filter and the whole thing in shreds wondering 'now what'. Sounds like this would have been one of those cases.

I also really like the remote drain! My 'want list' just keeps growing.

Did the generator take the same size valve?
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote