Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
We bought a 2015 36FK in November and have done about a dozen camping trips in it so far. We don't full time in it, but we used it quite a bit through the cold season.

We've found propane use to be pretty minimal for the fridge, cooking and water heating. Keep in mind that with the tankless heater, you are heating water on-demand rather than trying to keep several gallons hot all the time. Using the furnace will drain the propane quickly as expected - we went through about 2/3 of the tank in the course of a weekend with temps in the 20's. The heat pumps help a lot in the "in between" seasons. The Seneca is definitely not designed for winter camping without some modifications - even with the interior heated, the water system will freeze up.

As far as DEF use, I fill that tank every couple of fill-ups and carry a container of it with me just in case. As Abaco Boat mentioned, the Flying J / Pilot's and most other truck stops have DEF pumps co-located with the diesel pumps so it isn't a big deal to fill.

I have been thinking about adding a CB, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. The antenna on the mirror is, I believe, for the radio. I'm not sure if it can be used for a CB as well. I've seen some others ask questions about adding CB's to the Seneca on the forum, but haven't seen replies from anyone that's done it.

Overall, we've been very happy with the Seneca so far. We moved up from an E450-based Class C and find that we have a ton of additional space - both inside and outside in the Seneca. It has ample power for dragging along the Honda CR-V we have as a toad. The local Freightliner shop loves it compared to the Class A's because it is so much easier to work on.

Jayco has been great to work with on the warranty side with the couple of minor issues we've had. We also have an excellent local dealer which helps a lot. I've read a few stories on here about folks having trouble getting warranty work from dealers if they didn't purchase the unit from them.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have - feel free to PM me or ask here!

Thanks Ty for your reply, go to hear the good, bad and the heads up on real life experiences. Itís also great to hear you are happy with your Seneca and Jayco customer service is good to work with. We have ( 6 ) buses here at my work that are Freightlinerís with the S2C chassis which is very similar to the M2 chassis used on the Senecaís. As far as the serviceability and reliability of our Freightlinerís its been very good.

I know the insulation in Class Cís are not as good as Class Aís when comparing the way they are built. I hope to be getting away from the cold part of Atlantic Canada to warmer climate. It's been a hard winter this year, must get away.

ghuffman3 a member on this forum who works for Freightliner mentioned a multiplexer unit that are installed in class 8 trucks behind the dash area for connections for CB antennas, so I need to check if they do it for M2 chassisís or commercial trucks only.

Needing more research to pin point each component used on the unit and checking the reviews from all sources on the reliability or problems. Getting information from this forum from users like yourself and from other users is invaluable to help me with my decision.

Thank You all in advance.

The Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
The Bus Driver, not sure what changes you were told about for 2016 but I heard Jack OTA antenna (no more cranking/ leaks!!), air brakes, and wood finish.

I saw that Nexus modified their International chassis to have one large fuel tank (100 gals?) with single fill vs 2 tanks requiring fill from both sides. Unfortunately the fill is from passenger side so you may still need a truck stop for fueling. Would like to see Jayco do something like that but get it right.

And give me a wood look floor again

I would like to see the wood floors back too but there still going to be using laminate tiles. My contact at Sicard RV is checking on a few things on the 2015 Seneca 37HJ that they have in stock including a few things you mentioned. He said they just received an update sheet on things that are changing for the 2016 Senecaís so once I get a copy I will share it everybody on the forum.

The Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
According to the 2014 Freightliner's M2 Body Builder Book, Wiring Diagrams, CB Antennas (File #GO6-42293 CB Antennas.pdf), all M2's have an antenna multiplexer installed. It's under the dash. The CB_ANT_U_Multiplexer has 2 antenna outputs wired to each door mirror, and 2 inputs - 1 for a CB radio, the other for an AM/FM radio. I didn't crawl under my dash to confirm that it's there, but I've got to believe if Freightliner went to the trouble of providing the wiring diagrams, then it's probably there.
2014 Golden Burgundy Seneca 37FS
Zinkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
I was told by Freightliner that the antenna on the driver's door mirror is both AM/FM and CB. I've had the dash panel off to add the fog light switch and did notice that there are power terminals back there so powering the CB would be no issue. I wasn't considering a CB at the time, so I didn't look for that antenna connector. I'd like to add a CB now and would be interested in exactly where under or behind the dash it is.

2014 Seneca 37FS
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ "Toad"
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote