Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Seneca ride on bumpy highways

I'm posting this as a separate topic in reply to a question from RodgerS. I encountered a couple of stretches of bumpy highway on a current trip and RodgerS wanted to know how the Seneca handled the roads. One section was in OK on US 69 from Big Cabin south and another in WI on I43 from Sturegeon Bay to about Manitowoc. On the I43 stretch I had to slow down to about 55 mph or it felt like the Seneca would beat itself to death. Similarly on US 69. Got to slow down a lot!

I could have tolerated the bouncing but the passenger side where the cab and house are attached kept opening up some according to my copilot. Also heard thumping from where the overhead bed sits on the cab. Might be why Jayco opted to replace the std Sachs shocks with Bilsteins. The panel on the passenger side had previously been reattached as it was loose and rattled. Dealer asked if it was just the bottom of panel that was loose when last repaired. Didn't know then that it required more work.

I watched a motorcycle on this stretch and the rear of it was bobbing up in the air so the road is pretty bad. My class A rode about the same over a stretch of I10 through LA.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for your post Walt and in particular your comparison to a Class A. Sorry, I forgot, did you have a gas or dp Class A!

My wife and I went to SF to visit a SmartCar Dealer yesterday and had some Thai food. Neither of us want a SmartCar, so that kind of puts to bed the thought of a semi hauler carrying a smart car and towing a 5th wheel.

Partical experience/seat time tends to trump trying to think things through too much.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Tiffin RED is a diesel pusher.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote