Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Seneca "rubbing" noise at times

At times going down the road on bumpy pavement I hear a noise below and behind me in the cab of my Seneca. Numerous searches failed to locate any obvious cause. Some time ago I had another noise coming from below and forward, I did find that one, the chassis battery cover's front edge was flapping in the wind. It even wore paint off the cab step in that area. I solved that issue by screwing the cover to the step.

Back to the unknown noise. Today I removed both cab steps to take them to my body shop to have the horizontal (stepping) surfaces shot with bed liner. When I took the driver's idea off I discovered the step and the DEF tank cover have been rubbing together and wearing each other out. When I get steps back I will have to come up with a fix. I don't think attaching them together would work, they probably have to move independently.

Anyway I thought I would post in case any other Seneca owners may have the same issue. Here are pictures of the wear on the parts.

P.S. Jayco's step attachment was atrocious, mine will be better. On the passenger side they only hit the support with one screw (out of 4!). And all screws were so rusted they snapped off.
Attached Thumbnails
20161103_093232.jpg   20161103_093303.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Thanks Robbbyr....another item for the "preventative maintenance" list. Appreciate the pictures! Since there does not to appear to be any structural significance where the two pieces are rubbing, perhaps cutting away the rubbed area on one or both pieces might suffice. Definitely another instance of swapping "jayco screws" with stainless screws is in order. Please let us know your solution.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

My chassis batt cover actually cracked and was replaced under warranty. I fabbed a bracket from cab down to support front of cover. My thinking was the cab being rubber mounted would flex differently than the step-fuel tank brackets.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_103512.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	30098

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

I saw this post pop back up and it reminded me to post my "fix" for the rubbing between the steps and the lower front of the cap.

I consulted with my body shop when they applied the bedliner to the step treads, they suggested we try applying paint protection film to both parts in the area where they were rubbing together. They cut some pieces and put it on, you can't even see it once the steps were reinstalled.

My only trip since then was to take it to the Jayco Service Center and then later bring it back home (250 miles each way) and I didn't hear any rubbing. So I am conditionally calling it successful.

Here is a picture of the steps back in place, but you can't see the film between the parts!
Attached Thumbnails
Cab steps finished.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote