Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Seneca Tire Questiom

About to pick up a new to me 2015 Seneca. Would really like to have spare at least the tire. Jayco's website only shows Michelin 28580R22.5". Can someone help me with the load rating or load range so I have enough info to buy a tire? The first trip will unfortunately be cross country.

Also where can I order a steel rim and what else is needed other than R 22.5" and Freightliner 10 lug?

Thanks ahead.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

Ok, after a bit of research looks like G (110 psi) or H (120) are the options in this Michelin tire size. The tire choices are

G X Line Energy Z
G XZE2
H X Line Energy Z
H XZE

Just need someone close to their 2012 - 2016 Seneca to confirm what tires are shipped from the factory. Thanks ahead.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:03 AM   #3

XZE2 load range G - 110 psi on my '14.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Thanks Rob. Been to Freightliner and now at Tire shop. Just in case anyone is thinking about getting a full spare it ain't cheap. Steel rim was $100 and tire will be around $550 mounted and balanced. Peace of mind though is priceless that I won't get stranded looking for an RV tire on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJ View Post
Thanks Rob. Been to Freightliner and now at Tire shop. Just in case anyone is thinking about getting a full spare it ain't cheap. Steel rim was $100 and tire will be around $550 mounted and balanced. Peace of mind though is priceless that I won't get stranded looking for an RV tire on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere.
Be sure to share with us Seneca owners... where you mount the spare.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

The nice thing about a Seneca, is they use a standard semi tire, which are easy to get anywhere, and any time.

If you have tire distributor in the area, you can often pick one up at a reduced price. If you only want a tire you could save a bundle. The distributor by my house will even provide a tire on a white painted steel rim for you.

Those tires weight a lot, so if you plan to change it yourself, pick it up once before your trip to see if you can handle it. Next you need big tools to change a tire that size.

I would recommend road side assistance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Have you figured out how you're going to store the tire? I don't think it will fit in the storage bays on the Seneca.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #8

This is how I look at it. I could not change a wheel and tire on the Seneca even if I had a spare. Those wheels are torqued on to 500 # or something. It's etched into the wheel what the requirements are. The front wheels are a different design than the back wheels and they are very heavy. It's a job of Road Service. What you need is your tire size and a cell phone. Call road service to change it like semi drivers do.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Team

I don't have a mh but I would not go anywhere w/o my road service.

I'm to old for that stuff and those things are heavy. As stated, even the truck drivers don't do it
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

I will have roadside assistance as the DW insists on it. I checked with Freightliner this am and although the wheel numbers are different on the rear inside and outside they figured it had to do with the inside rims not being fully polished like the outsides. I'm going to go with the Roadmaster Tilt mount. I found it for $530 on Amazon delivered. Obviously very pricey but my thinking is that without that device there won't be much chance of me changing a tire ever as they are very heavy as others have warned. I'm not worried about getting them positioned even the inside rears. However the 500# lug nut torque requirement might be a challenge. I'm thinking about 3/4" drive socket with extension, breaker bar and cheater to match. Anyone an expert on big rig tire changing care to chime in?

Hold the "you just need to call roadside assistance" opinions. I agree but also want to be prepared to get off the beaten path and be prepared should road side assistance not be a viable option for either tire availability or distance from service provider.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

If you are capable of doing all that heavy work, why not just carry tire changing tools. Break down the tire, beat the new on, air it up, and you are on your way! Just kidding. Those tires are heavy, and when mounted on a rim it takes two old men to handle them. I have seen times when the only thing that could break the lug nuts was a large impact wrench, and lots of air. Your going to invest a lot of money getting set up for this. Large bottle jack, lumber to go under the jack, tire carrier, lug wrench, Cheeter bar, socket with break over wrench, extension, torque wrench multiplier, and a lot of sweat. And then the cost of the rim, and tire.
You could go to your local truck tire shop, talk to the shop Forman. Explain to him what you want to do. He will answer all your questions. You could probably save some money going to a local welding shop(certified) to have a rear tire mount made.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #12

spare tire

The Michelin site has the tire and steel rim weighing 230#. You ever watch those weight lifters wrangle an off-road tire? I just completed a 5000 mile summer to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado. You will not be too far off the 'beaten path' in a 37 foot motor home and I tried. I've seen people with multiple spares in their pickup truck bed and one sitting on the cab top. I'm thinking they need their meds adjusted. Your money might be better invested in an automotive-type tire pressure monitor system (TPMS).
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #13

TPMS was actually the first investment in the RV. I view TPMS as early warning system of impending problems so the impact can be managed. It doesn't fix anything or shorten the time to fix anything. I learned about torque multiplier today. This tool might actually have much usage on farm tractors and other needs. Appreciate all the feedback so far. I attempted to attach a picture of the monster spare....
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #14

Made some progress on Amazon and eBay this weekend. 20 Ton bottle jack and 12 ton jack stands procured from Amazon pretty cheap and scored a 6 to 1 Cat torque multiplier on eBay auction. Still chasing a 100# - 600# torque wrench. Can't believe how expensive those things are. I'm convinced these tools will pay off big time changing tires on the tractors and dump trailer. Definitely learning as I go here.....will post pics of the spare mount and In progress tire change pics when I get everything lined out.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

Your the man!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote