Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

If you are capable of doing all that heavy work, why not just carry tire changing tools. Break down the tire, beat the new on, air it up, and you are on your way! Just kidding. Those tires are heavy, and when mounted on a rim it takes two old men to handle them. I have seen times when the only thing that could break the lug nuts was a large impact wrench, and lots of air. Your going to invest a lot of money getting set up for this. Large bottle jack, lumber to go under the jack, tire carrier, lug wrench, Cheeter bar, socket with break over wrench, extension, torque wrench multiplier, and a lot of sweat. And then the cost of the rim, and tire.
You could go to your local truck tire shop, talk to the shop Forman. Explain to him what you want to do. He will answer all your questions. You could probably save some money going to a local welding shop(certified) to have a rear tire mount made.

Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #12

spare tire

The Michelin site has the tire and steel rim weighing 230#. You ever watch those weight lifters wrangle an off-road tire? I just completed a 5000 mile summer to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado. You will not be too far off the 'beaten path' in a 37 foot motor home and I tried. I've seen people with multiple spares in their pickup truck bed and one sitting on the cab top. I'm thinking they need their meds adjusted. Your money might be better invested in an automotive-type tire pressure monitor system (TPMS).

2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #13

TPMS was actually the first investment in the RV. I view TPMS as early warning system of impending problems so the impact can be managed. It doesn't fix anything or shorten the time to fix anything. I learned about torque multiplier today. This tool might actually have much usage on farm tractors and other needs. Appreciate all the feedback so far. I attempted to attach a picture of the monster spare....
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #14

Made some progress on Amazon and eBay this weekend. 20 Ton bottle jack and 12 ton jack stands procured from Amazon pretty cheap and scored a 6 to 1 Cat torque multiplier on eBay auction. Still chasing a 100# - 600# torque wrench. Can't believe how expensive those things are. I'm convinced these tools will pay off big time changing tires on the tractors and dump trailer. Definitely learning as I go here.....will post pics of the spare mount and In progress tire change pics when I get everything lined out.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

Your the man!

Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote