Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #1

Seneca - Wheel Lug Nut Socket Size

Continue to add to the "must have" bin for the trip down to Tampa to pick up our Seneca. Added a dedicated 1/2" torque wrench but haven't been able to determine the proper socket size. If someone could pass that along, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

Not sure of socket size, but unless you have a torque multipler I doubt your 1/2 inch torque wrench will do the job as the torque spec is 450- 500 ft lbs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

I had no idea these lugs were torqued that high. I figured 150 lb, max. Definitely won't be checking lug torque.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
I had no idea these lugs were torqued that high. I figured 150 lb, max. Definitely won't be checking lug torque.
Lol. Coming from a travel trailer I can see now that I sure have a lot to learn. I need to purge years of TT knowledge in order to be fluent in motorhome. I am sure my torque wrench does not reach 500 psi. I am now a rookie all over again.

JavaMom, you will be a few weeks ahead of me. Please learn me this stuff as you go. 😄
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #5

For the most part, about the only thing you can do to ensure you can get going again in the case of a flat is to ensure you have cell service. Kidding, sort of. Most owners of motorhomes with 19.5 or 22" wheels just call road service. Some carry a spare tire with them, either with or without a rim. A few carry the spare tire and wheel, inflated, and an enormous long breaker bar (I'm talking 6 ft long, with the proper sized socket welded to its extension, and a serious super duper industrial bottle jack to get it all off the ground. A friend of mine does the latter, but it takes up an entire storage bay in his Monaco Class A. The reason for carrying your own spare is to avoid the $600-1000 charge that a towing company will charge you for the new tire they will buy and bring out with them to change yours.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Lol. Coming from a travel trailer I can see now that I sure have a lot to learn. I need to purge years of TT knowledge in order to be fluent in motorhome. I am sure my torque wrench does not reach 500 psi. I am now a rookie all over again.

JavaMom, you will be a few weeks ahead of me. Please learn me this stuff as you go. 😄
This is the first MH/TT we have ever owned. Definitely a steep learning curve. As we get close to pick-up, all the little details and procedures are overwhelming. Kind of like trying to drink from a firehose...hehehe!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
For the most part, about the only thing you can do to ensure you can get going again in the case of a flat is to ensure you have cell service. Kidding, sort of. Most owners of motorhomes with 19.5 or 22" wheels just call road service. Some carry a spare tire with them, either with or without a rim. A few carry the spare tire and wheel, inflated, and an enormous long breaker bar (I'm talking 6 ft long, with the proper sized socket welded to its extension, and a serious super duper industrial bottle jack to get it all off the ground. A friend of mine does the latter, but it takes up an entire storage bay in his Monaco Class A. The reason for carrying your own spare is to avoid the $600-1000 charge that a towing company will charge you for the new tire they will buy and bring out with them to change yours.
Looks like I'll just rely on the service call, albeit expensive. I work on my cars a lot so at least I have a brand new 1/2" torque wrench
Old 04-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #8

I think that by spending so much time on these forums you will be way ahead of the learning curve. My wife has a cousin that bought a motorhome in New York and left the next day for a reunion we had here in Ft. Lauderdale. He had never been camping. His wife describes it as the trip from Hell. They had so many problems that could have been avoided had they done some reading. Needless to say they hated it and sold when they got home at a very large loss.

I am still being told mine is coming off the line and heading to Orlando on May 4 and should arrive around the 14. Yours should be close right?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Looks like I'll just rely on the service call, albeit expensive. I work on my cars a lot so at least I have a brand new 1/2" torque wrench
Just make sure your road service has the RV enhancement. We belong to Auto Club, and add the service fee of about 25 bucks a year. Just make sure you remain on named roads, or they won't venture to dirt roads without a county name. That's often how they determine if it's a county-maintained road.

The other issue is that you want to avoid that flat tire by any means necessary. That means constantly checking tire pressures before and during a trip. A tire that comes apart at speed will likely do thousands of dollars in damage to your coach before you can get it stopped, assuming it doesn't cause a total loss of control. Blowouts are not an option in rigs this large. Your problem will be way bigger than replacing a flat tire.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #10

A reliable TPMS can help avoid tire disasters, both on the motorhome and on your toad. Far better to catch a slow leak early than have it overheat and blow out. And you might not notice a toad tire gone flat until someone passes you gesturing frantically!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #11

Agree TPMS is good.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

I saw this tool used in a video than talked to a few of my hd tech friends they say this is a great road tool: HomCom 7pcs Torque Multiplier Socket Wrench Set Lugnut 41 38 33 21 Sockets 4800N/M 1:58 Labor Saving, and is well priced, may save losing body parts trying to loosen 450 lb lug nuts.
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

This is the video I saw hope it helps:
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #14

Got one. Does what the above video shows. No problems, bought one on E-bay for less than $60 bucks. Would not leave home without it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #15

Pretty cool idea.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #16

Can you tell how tight you are torquing them?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #17

Tighten them best as I can. Then I head for the nearest truck tire shop to have them torque 'em.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
Socket size for 22.5 tires is 33mm
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote