Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

Setting up Portable Satellite in 2016 Greyhawk

We recently purchased a Wineguard Carryout G2 Portable Satellite dish and a Dish Network VIP211z receiver to use while we are out and about to stay caught up on our football addiction.

I hoping to hook it up next week prior to a trip, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone else is using this and how they hook it up to their motorhome. We have a 2016 Greyhawk 31FK.

The main reason I am asking is I think I read somewhere that to hook the satellite up to the receiver, you have to hook them up into each other (ie you can't run the satellite coax into the female coax of the motorhome). I have heard of people running the coax from the satellite thru a window then to the receiver. This seems like it would be quite frustrating since there is a nice setup for running campground cable into the coach and then it being viewable on the two TVs.

Any help or experience anyone can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #2

I tried setting sattelite up in our Eagle and couldn't get it to work on the internal coax. Not positive, but I believe it's because the booster isn't powerful enough to power the dish. It worked okay hooked up directly to the receiver, but I didn't want a cable running through the window. In the end I ended up returning everything as it just wasn't worth the hassle or expense for the amount of TV we watch while camping.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #3

Do you have a double coax connector with a jumper behind or near the TV? If you do you use the cable TV connection on the outside remove the jumper and connect the sat receiver to the side marked cable. If your receiver has a coax out connect that to the other side and turn off the ant amp. Use channel 3 or 4 on your TV and you should be good.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

I'm with you Racechaser.....it is very frustrating that Jayco does not provide an outside connection for the folks that use a portable satellite. My 2017 Greyhawk is wired for roof satellite, which I will not be using, but only an exterior connection for Park Cable.

I am temporarily running the coax from my Carryout G2+ thru the window, which is not convenient at all, but my intention is to install permanent wiring soon. I have finally got mine set up so that I can use park cable, satellite or O/A without having to get out and connect and reconnect cables each time I want to view another source. Just getting the cable out of the window is all I like and will try to accomplish that when I determine how and where to route the wiring. Good luck
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Jayco GrayHawk MV29 and Carryout G2

I have the same set up . I used the outside TV cable connection in the passenger side storage box to connect to the satellite cable to the Carryout G2 . The cable runs to a splitter behind the TV . Remove the cable from the splitter and connect it direct to the receiver. My cable was long enough to reach the Dish Network receiver mounted under the TV on a bracket that I made . The power supply can be plugged in the storage box also .
Jayco was Not able to tell me where the satellite Cables they put behind the TV were terminated .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmac View Post
Jayco was Not able to tell me where the satellite Cables they put behind the TV were terminated .
If it came with SAT prep they are in the roof.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

They are not under the digital antenna as I suspected . Jayco said one was in the roof someplace and one was with the cable tv input area someplace .I have not found they yet even with a signal tracer .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
They are not under the digital antenna as I suspected . Jayco said one was in the roof someplace and one was with the cable tv input area someplace .I have not found they yet even with a signal tracer .
Probably in front of the a/c above a celing light fixture, the 12v control wire should be there too.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

I have a 2016 31FK too - if you figure it out, please post it!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #10

Pictures

Quote:
I have the same set up . I used the outside TV cable connection in the passenger side storage box to connect to the satellite cable to the Carryout G2 . The cable runs to a splitter behind the TV . Remove the cable from the splitter and connect it direct to the receiver. My cable was long enough to reach the Dish Network receiver mounted under the TV on a bracket that I made . The power supply can be plugged in the storage box also .
Could you send pictures of what you did? I can't figure this out. dlmanes@yahoo.com
dlmanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #11

Where is Roy with his pictures of the A/B splitter and explanations? Roy, it looks like we need a class again on hooking up sattelite vs cable. You gave such a good explanation before!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote