Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Shower in 31FK

We have a 2016 31FK and have noticed when taking a shower the portion of the shower floor closest to the drain is soft and feels like there is nothing underneath it (it even sinks down a bit when standing there). The other half feels very sturdy. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if it is normal?

Thanks for any info!
sbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

yup.. mine is like that.. just around the drain. I refrain from stepping that close to the drain for fear of breaking the floor. I believe they're all like that. Or at least I've read several reports of it.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

The shower pan in my rig has a couple of spots that aren't supported very good from underneath so it flexes a bit. There's an inspection opening next to the drain that I've opened and done a look-see. No water, just poor support.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Mine was spongy ever since new I didn't think anything of it since every MH I went into at RV shows had a soft floor. But just so my luck would have it as soon as my warranty was up I developed a leak coming from the shower. I found that the P trap was leaking below the shower drain. The pipe was actually being crushed between the shower floor and the sub floor when anyone was in the shower thus causing the pipe to leak. Lucky I caught it in time. I was able to make a new p trap and shortened up the drain to to allow more clearance. I also discovered why the floor is so soft. The shower is supported by a plywood strip that is about half as wide as the shower. The plywood is then supported by 1x3's. The reason why they did not support the full shower floor is because the heating duct work and a wiring harness run under the shower. I was able to stiffen mine up with a few 2x4 supports placed under the plywood.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

When you fixed your drain and added support to the tub, did you do it all through the little inspection door or did you remove the entire panel under the shower? We did puts some supports through the inspection door, but could do a much better job if the front panel removed easily.
sbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

I had a stress crack on my shower pan due to a soft floor. My dealer replaced the pan and reinforced the floor. All under warranty.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

I have a 31 DS and I am not happy with the "soft floor". I feel that I want to shoot some spray foam in there. I read about the problems of shooting too much and have chickened out.
any thoughts?
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

I stay away from standing near the drain area
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

One of the first things we did in our 2016 Class C 31xl...asked the dealer to reinforce the floor near the drain. We had a large list of things to tweak and that was the only thing they did successfully so we hope it is right!
Our entire family is VERY tall and we don't want to fall through the floor. They brag about the weight support in the bunks over the cab...why in the world don't they take care of it in the shower?!?
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Exact same issue in our '17 29MV. Thought it was just our unit, but sounds like that's the design. I'll ask the dealer about reinforcing it.
plyswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdb View Post
When you fixed your drain and added support to the tub, did you do it all through the little inspection door or did you remove the entire panel under the shower? We did puts some supports through the inspection door, but could do a much better job if the front panel removed easily.
I removed the access panel and the heat duct. Not much room to work but the only option I could figure other then taking the wall or shower apart.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote