Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Sirius xm radio in greyhawk question?

Have a new 2016 greyhawk. It has an icon on the control panel screen. When I touch it it moves a little but does not activate XM. The Ford brochure says I'm entitled to a 6 mo. Free trial. Sirius has tried to send an activation signal without success. Does anyone know if the greyhawk comes with XM radio or do I have to buy a radio, antenna and or adapter? Thanks for any help.
ncgreyhawkmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

You need to buy an adapter which comes with an adapter. Your radio is "XM ready" . The installer who put my adapter and antenna in had to take the dash apart to get the radio out. You need to remove the radio in order to plug in the adapter. The next problem is where do I put the antenna? We tried to temporarily attach it to the ceiling but got no signal. I didn't want to drill a hole in the roof so for the antenna magnetic base is attached to the cab roof. I don't always get a signal. Anybody with a good solution let me know.If I can locate the photos, I will try to post some photos of the install.I found one showing the antenna on the cab roof.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

I meant to say the adapter come with an antenna!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #4

Here are some install photos...I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0205.jpg   IMG_0459.jpg   IMG_0460.jpg  

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 01-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #5

Thanks

Really appreciate the information? One other question where can I purchase the XM adapter?
ncgreyhawkmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

SiriusXM - FM Direct Adapter - Black Best Buy has them 18.99

• Model: FMDA25
  • SKU: 8116585
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #7

When I had my 14 Greyhawk, I added an adapter for the xm. I did not take the dash apart, I removed the dog house and was able to reach the back of the radio to plug the OEM adapter cord in. I just laid the antenna on the dash and it worked pretty good. I had to go to a custom audio dealer to buy the receiver cause it was not available anywhere else. Best had some but they were a different plug setup. Good Luck.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

My 04 Greyhawk didn't require the dash to be taken apart either to install XM adapter. I got my adapter at Amazon. We tried the antenna on the dash and had poor reception. The current location of the antenna on the cab roof is somewhat better, but still not the best. The best is on the roof but not an easy install.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #9

Not sure this helps, since I'm not an XM fan anymore - but our old coach had one from the first owner. He did a nice just of fishing the antenna wire towards the driver side door, but back by the firewall.

Then up and behind the door seal until he got to the back part of the door. Then a little exposed wire that went up and into the cabover. The XM antenna was mounted outside the driver's side window on the cab cover.

About as well hidden as I think it could have been done.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

Has anyone tried mounting the antenna to the truck away from the cab a little? I will be installing mine soon and its just a thought.
Blanchettes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #11

When I had mine I mounted outside cab overhead by window, when I had in on the roof of the cab it kept losing signal like going thru a tunnel
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

Mine came home working just fine... The antenna is on the front of the truck roof... Thank goodness I don't have a cab over install...

I have found the littlest things blocks the signal... I have a aluminum cable tv running over my driveway and it kills it dead for a couple of seconds when I drive under it.

Of course all of the bridges and tunnels kills it as well.

I love my Sirius Radio... I continued my service after the first year in my case...

I also have the Travel mode which has the weather maps and other added Road Map features. Use it all the time both when pulling my trailer and just making trips around town... The small monthly fee is well worth it... Listening to good ole country music not bad either... Stays on Willie's Roadhouse hehe...

My daughter showed me how to use it for tracking trips and plotted in the local hospital and that was really neat. Then she went home... Than for a week this voice kept telling me to turn around and sometimes actually got sort of mad at me if I didn't do it when she said too. I even went to the Hospital thinking that might make her happy but then as I was leaving it all started up again. I finally figured out how to disable that feature haha...

Gotta love the kids hehe...

We old guys are just too old to learn how to use all this fancy stuff I guess...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #13

whadda about fishing the antenna lead out thru the firewall (plenty of holes and grommets) and then putting the XM antenna outside on the front fender?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #14

That's what I meant lol but since I was doing three things at the time I posted this question that's not how it came out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blanchettes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #15

Sirius XM

Our 2016 was xm ready too. Adapter/antenna line is easy to install. Took dog house off. The trim around the radio just pops off, has plastic pins that snap into the dash. Just be firm but gentle and it will come off easily. Had to slide radio out a bit to get my hands in behind it to -plug in the antenna. You don't need to take the radio all the way out. Wouldn't recommend it any way. Don't put it back in place until you run your antenna and line, just to be sure it is connected.
Then outside along the drip gutter above the door, up along the slide hardware to the roof. I bought these Command non damaging plastic holders for the line. And Command Velcro for the antenna. Have travelled about 5K miles with it and we get great reception as compared to the dash. We tried that and it was useless. Walmart has the Command line. The antenna wire is held in place with these flat plastic clips. All. Of their products are removeable and non damaging.
They are also great for hanging photos, clocks etc inside the MH. In all it probable took me a good hour to do the XM.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroga View Post
Our 2016 was xm ready too. Adapter/antenna line is easy to install. Took dog house off. The trim around the radio just pops off, has plastic pins that snap into the dash. Just be firm but gentle and it will come off easily. Had to slide radio out a bit to get my hands in behind it to -plug in the antenna. You don't need to take the radio all the way out. Wouldn't recommend it any way. Don't put it back in place until you run your antenna and line, just to be sure it is connected.
Then outside along the drip gutter above the door, up along the slide hardware to the roof. I bought these Command non damaging plastic holders for the line. And Command Velcro for the antenna. Have travelled about 5K miles with it and we get great reception as compared to the dash. We tried that and it was useless. Walmart has the Command line. The antenna wire is held in place with these flat plastic clips. All. Of their products are removeable and non damaging.
They are also great for hanging photos, clocks etc inside the MH. In all it probable took me a good hour to do the XM.
I have a question about the radio trim you removed. Is it the 1/4" black plastic trim around the radio or the dash piece, mine is wood gain? Also where did you mount the XM tuner?
Thanks
temalin is offline   Reply With Quote