Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #1

Unhappy Slide out won't come in

Just returned from weeklong trip and made it home without issue. Spent week in hot summer sun without an awning as it broke several weeks ago and dealer got wrong parts in. Another day/night shade is now broken. And now the living room slide will not come in. Bedroom slide came in fine, but living room came in about two inches and just quit. Won't go in or out and isn't making any type of sound. We've reset all breakers and everything else is working. Any ideas?
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
We've reset all breakers(
Each slide unit also has it's own fuse did you check that?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Where do we look for the fuse?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

There is a fuse panel right next to my circuit breaker panel on the base of the bed...is that where your circuit breaker panel is located?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

Hi had the same problem with our TT it was a lose fuse in the panel/converter it ease a rather large slow blow style fuse not a breaker wiggled it a bit and it worked
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULazy2 View Post
There is a fuse panel right next to my circuit breaker panel on the base of the bed...is that where your circuit breaker panel is located?
Ok, so hubby knew where fuses are (base of bed by circuit breaker). He has wiggled and pulled them out ant put them back in. All looks fine but no change in slide out moving. No sound, nothing. Guess we'll be calling for mobile service in the morning.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

Do you know what kind of motor you have? I have two different types and there are emergency retraction methods for each. The schwintek (sp?) is a bit more difficult, but my main slide has a provision to put a 3/4 socket on it and manually retract. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #8

Read the instructions that came with the rig!
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Read the instructions that came with the rig!
Thanks for the useless help Hawk. We have read and read. We are not mechanically inclined and rely on our friends for assistance when it is over our heads. Not sure why you felt the need to be so sarcastic. All other replies were appreciated.

We would have thought of the fuses eventually, but the quick replies above were of great help. Thank you. We usually camp with a large group and someone in that group almost always has an answer or the right tool needed. This time the problem is in our driveway. When our friends can't figure it out, we pay for service.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #10

I would switch the fuse with one of the same amperage. Sometimes a fuse will blow, but will still look good. I have seen fuses fail near the tab and not necessarily in the middle.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #11

I don't have a slide out so I am sorta posting this in ignorance. Don't slide outs have a manual release that you can use to slide in and out? The reason I ask is that A. It would get you through the trip and B. You might be able to spot a problem that way..

Please don't hurt me too bad for asking :-(

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #12

donellen,

look under the bed. There is a wood panel that you'll need to remove a few screws to gain access. This is where your slide controllers are located. Once inside you'll see 2 approx 4" x 6" black control modules. Check the plug ins to each controller. It may be just a lose connection. If that doesn't resolve your issue try switching the plugs from one control module to the other. Then try to operate the slide. If that resolves your issue then you've simply can replace the bad control module by calling your dealer and they will send you a replacement. $$ of course!

Also, I suggest you youtube schwintek. There are a bunch of instructional videos that will help you understand and operate the system. There is a "work around" that you can use if you're ever in a situation where you've got a problem and simply need to operate the slide to say return home or etc. If you'll pm me your email address I'll scan and email those intructions to you. Also, i'll pm you my cell # so you can call me and I'll help walk you through the process if you need my help.

Luckily you were at home when this occurred, as Sharon and I were, and it's just a matter of a simple repair.

FWIW, I learned all of this the hard way! If your instruction packet and manuals were the same as ours, Jayco didn't include the schwintek information with your coach.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I don't have a slide out so I am sorta posting this in ignorance. Don't slide outs have a manual release that you can use to slide in and out? The reason I ask is that A. It would get you through the trip and B. You might be able to spot a problem that way..

Please don't hurt me too bad for asking :-(
Tex, FWIW, the Schwintek "in wall" slide system does not have a manual release. There is a control module that operates the slide motor. You can remove the in-wall motor and manual push the slide in. But there's a better way than removing it. The control module will operate the slide with a simple "work around" even if the module has to be replaced.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Check the ground wire at the motor.. Mine broke off a few years ago..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #15

http://youtu.be/ymt1Uesf0Pc
vdubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #16

How about the switch itself? These things are put together pretty quick, and while it may not be likely, the switch could have a loose lead on the back. It's easy to check, and one more potential issue eliminated!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #17

Update

Dealer sent out its mobile service unit this morning. Appears we have a short, but they have no idea where. They were able to disconnect the motor and, with my husband's help, push the slide back into position. They have in the "bars" so it won't come out while driving to the dealer's service department. BTW - we ALWAYS drive with the bars in place, just in case. Bedroom slide also has an issue and is making a noise. It will also be checked out while in the shop. Hopefully the correct parts for the awning will be in so it can also be fixed.

We love camping, but this unit has had one problem after the other since we got it. Thank goodness we took out the extended warranty when we purchased it. Our 1997 Georgie Boy did not ever have any of the issues this one has had. Guess they don't make them like they used to.

Will let you all know when they figure out the short. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, but if the mobile repair unit couldn't fix it, there is no way we could.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

If I am not mistaken, my package of papers came with a few sheets on the slides and how to bring them in if the motors fail. Wether or not you received those is another question, but I assumed you did not.

I tend to look everywhere when I have a problem. So I would pull the access panel for the slide. Mine are in a different place than yours, but they should be under the slide, probably at the top of your wheel well or in the top of the compartment under the slide.

I cannot remember the instructions, but I know it mentioned a release that can be moved to allow the slide to go in and then set back.

As for fuses, it seems I have seen fuses everywhere and there is not really a rhime or reason for their placement. I even pulled the top panel off from under the bed where the fuse panel/breaker panel is located in my rig. Behind that panel I found more fuses. I cant say what they were for, but there are some back there amoungst a mess of wires.

I would check there as well.

I am also assuming you have good voltage to the slides. You are running the slides with the motorhome's engine running, correct?

I hope you can find the problem and get it fixed.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #19

Update

So the Greyhawk has been at the dealer's for almost two weeks now. It is supposedly the motor that went out on the living room slide. They have ordered a new motor. Parts for the awning, which have been on order since June are still not in. Bedroom slide has not even been looked at yet.

How long can it possibly take to get in parts? We have had to cancel this weekend's family camping trip (full payment lost) and are really concerned we are going to miss Labor Day weekend too! Is the dealer giving us a run around or does it normally take weeks to get parts in?

BTW TX Arvee, we NEVER put the slides in or out with the engine running. We are always parked, parking brake on and chocks in place before we move slides. Does everybody have the engine running to move the slides??
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

Maybe sounded a little sarcastic, but Hawk's advice was spot on. There should be instructions in your owner material on how to manually retract the slide. There are ways to determine if you are getting power to the motor, but that is over my paygrade. Maybe someone can help with checking that. If no 12V to the slide motor when the switch is pushed, check the switch to see if you're getting power to the switch. If no and no then its most likely a fuse. My first step would be to replace the fuse like another suggested.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote