Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #1

Slide Toppers

Has anyone purchased or installed slide toppers for their Greyhawk? Are they worth the added expense?
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Had our topper installed last year - seems to help with dirt, walnuts, acorns, and twigs accumulating on the slide. Does make it inconvenient to clean or lube the slide seal. Also remember, after a rain retract S-L-O-W-L-Y to dump the water. Hope that helps.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #3

Another vote for the slide topper.

Below is a new concept of the Slide Topper and Slide Room Sleeve. It's design is different than the conventional Awning type Topper.

[video=youtube_share;xBmeUGNyNos]http://youtu.be/xBmeUGNyNos[/video]

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

I have been contemplating the addition. But think the cost outweigh the usage mine would get. I will have to admit, I dont like climbing on top every time to sweep the slides clear of debris. Most recently native pecans dropping on us at Brazos Bend State Park south of Houston... The lst thing I need is a bunch of crunched up pecans in the works to attract pests...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Maybe 1 day but not right now. Our next addition might very well be automatic levelers. As we have frequented state parks lately we're becoming fans of the SP, consequently sites aren't always level. Being level is more of a priority for us. For the time being, I'll climb and sweep.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Ours came with factory installed levelers, a Bigfoot system. It worked great until the dealer (at Jayco's request) removed the shims from helper springs on the drivers side to fix the issue with the springs hitting the fresh water tank drain line causing it to leak. Now it levels fine in my driveway and inside storage facility but not at the camp grounds. It sits alot higher then it did before and this last trip out I had to manually level it because the front jacks reached their limit before it was level. The slide toppers is the second thing on my wish list. The first is a set of steering stablizers. I need to get that done before our trip to see our kids in Washington State. I knew the steering stablizers are a plus and worth it, just wasn't sure the slide toppers would be. Thanks for all the input.
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #7

Sorry to hear about the levelers - I had HWH install a set on our Jayco - love 'em... on occasion i have had to put a couple of 2x6's under the jacks prior to leveling - ground in our state parks is not all that level either. you might try that. One caution - make sure to block the rear wheels - PARK and parking brake wont hold if you lift the rear tires off the ground. Haven't had it happen but came pretty close.

Good luck on the trip to WA - beautiful country up there.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #8

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy M View Post
Has anyone purchased or installed slide toppers for their Greyhawk? Are they worth the added expense?
I wouldn't put them on for a couple reasons:
  • the need to clean out underneath them as many have already mentioned.
  • But another reason just came to mind - today as we sit here in Florida with the temps at 75 and the wind around 25 mph - my neighbor (with a Winnebago Class A) had to put all his slides in last night because the "flapping" of the slide toppers was too noisy. Our rig without toppers was fine.
  • Not to mention my brother in law had to cut his off his fifth wheel when the roll-up mechanism jammed and he had his slide half-way out and it wouldn't go in or out.

Just something else to break or go wrong!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

We had slide toppers installed before we took delivery on our new 2011 31DS. Almost two years later, and very happy with the decision. Only way to go.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #10

Slide Toppers

We too had slide toppers installed before we took delivery on our new Greyhawk 31SS. We made it part of our deal with the dealer. He also installed 3 Maxx Air vents.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #11

+3

We had a slide topper added to our 2013 Redhawk 26XS. We also had them install better fans and the Maxx Air vents.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote