Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Slide Toppers? Or not?

While shopping I noticed that many motorhomes were sold with slide toppers. The 29 MV we have put deposit on does not have them. Are they worth it and helpful in keeping the slides clean? We will likely be camping in wooded areas.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Have had toppers since the 1990's, would not be without them.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Pros-Slide toppers keep debris off the slide, keep the slide cooler, and protect the top of the slide seal. Cons-I've heard that they flap in a strong wind. We have slide toppers and have yet to experience the flapping in 4 years. Get 'em and you'll be a happy camper not having to sweep your slides off every time with a broom.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Wouldn't leave home without them.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Pros-Slide toppers keep debris off the slide, keep the slide cooler, and protect the top of the slide seal. Cons-I've heard that they flap in a strong wind. We have slide toppers and have yet to experience the flapping in 4 years. Get 'em and you'll be a happy camper not having to sweep your slides off every time with a broom.
X2
Old 02-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

I was discussing with my dealer about putting slide toppers on my rig (1 1/2 years after sale)
He said he's not a fan of them if the slides are kept out all the time...they start to sag after a while from the rain that eventually pools up on them.
And like already pointed out arlready the wind popping them around.
Plus getting all the wet stuck leaves off is a pain.

Any truth to this?
He could have talked me into them, but he was talking me out of them.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

I have them on mine; I would put them back on in a minute. I have gotten the flapping once; I think it happens when the wind hits it in such a way that the gap between the slide out roof and the topper makes a wind tunnel.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I was discussing with my dealer about putting slide toppers on my rig (1 1/2 years after sale)
He said he's not a fan of them if the slides are kept out all the time...they start to sag after a while from the rain that eventually pools up on them.
And like already pointed out arlready the wind popping them around.
Plus getting all the wet stuck leaves off is a pain.

Any truth to this?
He could have talked me into them, but he was talking me out of them.
I have not found this to be true. All the leaves and twigs fall right off as you bring in the slide. The slide toppers don't start to sag on their own over time. If you allow water to pool, debris to collect, etc. then yes they will stretch and sag over time. But a quick in and out on the slide after a heavy rain (sometimes a small amount will collect) will prevent any stretching problems down the road.

As for the wind, I have not experienced myself, but I suppose it could be an issue. The toppers are pretty taught when new, I would suspect that the wind flapping would be more of an issue if they had been left to stretch as above.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

If they are installed CORRECTLY and better ones, they work great.

I was trying to get them for my trailer, when it sat at the dealer for a month. They never did get me a price on them. I will get them at some point. I agree with Grumpy.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #10

Our dealer installed one over our single slide. We've had no flapping, pooling or sagging problems. I appreciate it everytime I see someone climb on their roof with a broom before pulling in their slides.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Our dealer installed one over our single slide. We've had no flapping, pooling or sagging problems. I appreciate it everytime I see someone climb on their roof with a broom before pulling in their slides.
Having been that guy with a broom on our last TT.... We had a slide topper installed on our Redhawk as part of the deal.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #12

jasum, our dealership must be related to yours. I called them 3 months ago to get a price for a slide cover installed on the new trailer we purchased from them. This last week, on Weds., I ask again while we were there for some minor warrenty repairs. I was told they would call me with a price. As of today, Sunday, still no call. On the other hand, a dealer just down the road from them, that is a Jayco dealer, gave me a price over the phone when I called !! Wonder which I will go with ?
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

Another vote for the slide toppers. If you never camp under trees you might get by without them. Water only pools on the large slide. I use my washing brush/pole to lift some of the water off. When closing the slide (1) don't stand next to it, (2) pulling part way letter run off then close some more. If you run it in too fast water topper will roll up too wet.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

We have a fifth wheel with two slides that did not come with slide-toppers... here in Seattle, our carpets would get wet after a heavy rain. After putting on slide-toppers ourselves, carpets stay dry. They also keep the incessant rain of pine needles off the top and reduce the number that make it into the trailer (you can never get rid of ALL the pine needles around here).

We also have been camping at the top of a hill in high winds and have had to pull the slides in due to the LOUD flapping of the toppers and worry about them ripping. Winds were gusting over 30mph, so not ideal camping conditions.

We are in the process of buying a Seneca now, and am VERY glad they come with slide-toppers already installed. If they weren't there, we would have asked for them.

People have been known to put under-inflated beach balls between the slide and the topper to keep them from drooping/pooling, but in windy conditions, you lose the balls quickly. HA!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #15

Thanks!

Sounds like I should order them! Should have asked before I finalized "the deal" !
Thanks everyone,
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
While shopping I noticed that many motorhomes were sold with slide toppers. The 29 MV we have put deposit on does not have them. Are they worth it and helpful in keeping the slides clean? We will likely be camping in wooded areas.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Have them on my 29MV and glad too! This weekend went out with my rig and it got so cold that ice formed on my toppers. When toppers were pulled in the ice came crashing down. The toppers did there job on not bringing the ice into the cab where if I didn't have them they would have later melted causing a bigger problem inside the cab!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #17

Had one put on our 28BHBE after a trip parked under pine trees. When it was time to pack up, I noticed the camper next to us with a topper just pulled their slide in, but I had to go up and sweep off the slide. I called the dealer to find out if it was in stock and told them I would be passing through. They had one, told me to stop by and they would install while we waited. They did, and we were on our way in less than an hour. It was definitely worth it.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #18

I would like to try them, so for now leaf blower ...
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #19

They're great to have and well worth the investment. No negatives that I can think of!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
Sounds like I should order them! Should have asked before I finalized "the deal" !
Thanks everyone,
I had them added to our Eagle after our order had been in for a couple months. Didn't know Jayco could install them and of course, the dealership was more than happy to install 3 of them on our Eagle for about 2500.00. Got them added to my order and Jayco installed the SAME toppers the dealer was and the cost was 675.00!

You might want to make a few calls.