Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Slide Transit Bars

Still new to this whole RVing lifestyle and getting to know our coach. Is there a consensus on the use of the slide transit bars? I read where some folks never use them, but my owners manual indicates they are required during travel. They are a bit of a PITA to install and then remember to remove when setting up.

So, do they really help in taking a strain off the slide mechanisms while travelling, or are they just an added safety precaution?
Miller205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

I have a 2012 Seneca and never used mine. My thought if the Schwintek slide mechanism fails then the transit bars would be installed to prevent movement of the slide. I have 35,000 miles from So. CA. with a trip to Alaska, another to Key West and a few traveling through the Rockies with no concerns what so ever.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller205 View Post
Still new to this whole RVing lifestyle and getting to know our coach. Is there a consensus on the use of the slide transit bars? I read where some folks never use them, but my owners manual indicates they are required during travel. They are a bit of a PITA to install and then remember to remove when setting up.

So, do they really help in taking a strain off the slide mechanisms while travelling, or are they just an added safety precaution?
I use them on the large front (right behind the driver side) slide mainly because they eliminate any squeaks or rattles from that slide. Otherwise I probably wouldn't.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

I too had read the "Use them" "Don't use them" replies on a bunch of different websites.
I thought, what the heck, they can't hurt, so I decided that I would use them for long hauls, over 200 miles.
I notices exactly what Snowbird47 noticed: They reduced the rattles substantially. Enough so that I think I will make them a permanent traveling companion.

However, and this is a big deal: You have to remember to remove them before you slide out your slides. If you don't you are totally screwed. What I did was put a big red tag in front of the slide switches to remind me to remove the Transit Bars before pressing any buttons. I also trained my kids that the transit bars are ht first thing we remove when we park.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

Every unit we've had that came with slide lock bars also had a tag by the slide switch reminding you to remove them before operating the slide. As to the discussion yes or no for their use I think the slide mechanism manufacturer might know a little more than the dealer who said " you don't need them".
Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

I use them. Yes, a PITA to put one of them in (Greyhawk 31SS) but after a couple years I have gotten reasonably good at it. Put a cover over the slide out switch to remind you to remove before deploying the slide!
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

We have a 2015 31FS and we never got these when we bought the coach new. is this something we should have received? What is it exactly?
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Slide out bar

RangerBob. When your slide is "in", these bars go inside your RV fitting between the wall and the front edge trim of your slide, one in the front and one at the rear of the slide. My RV has markings on the wall where they go. Look along the vertical front and rear edge of your slide when it is "in". They look like this.
Attached Images

Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Ours never came with anything like that. I wonder if it applies to ours??? Maybe when I get home Ill look into it if its worth installing it if we don't have them. Thanks
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

They were included with our Jayco Seneca but we tossed them in the junk pile. We have never found a real need to use them in any of our motorhomes.
The motors on the slides have a brake/lock function and that keeps them in place.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote