Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #1

Angry Slideout issue

Good morning. I just purchased a Jayco Melbourne 24M. Love the space with the murphy bed. The problem right from the get go has been the slideout. Extending it works fine but I have to reset at the dual controller to get it to come back in. I get a code with 9 red lights and one green. That code means "hall power short to ground". It says this is usually a wiring problem. The one green light means it may involve the wiring to, or the number one motor.
It's under warranty of course so I'll have it looked at. This time of year, there is a bit of a wait to get it in. Irritating with a brand new unit. Anyone with similar problems? What was the ultimate cause? GVO
vanoudenhoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

Take this problem as an opportunity to learn the system controlling your slide. Learn how to put it in and out manually. Trust me, this will pay off in the future. Things happen and knowledge is power. What sounds like an absolute disaster to the untrained, can be an inconvenience to a person that knows his/her coach.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Take this problem as an opportunity to learn the system controlling your slide. Learn how to put it in and out manually. Trust me, this will pay off in the future. Things happen and knowledge is power. What sounds like an absolute disaster to the untrained, can be an inconvenience to a person that knows his/her coach.
Your comment is one of the smartest I have read on this forum. I just picked up my new 2018 greyhawk 29 mv. Got it home and had the water pump running continuously. Tried to get some expert help from Coachnet and the dealer no help. Did some research on various forums and found the problem and recommended solution. had it fixed in 30 minutes. Took hours to diagnose the problem. But, here is the big payoff I learned the water and plumbing system for my coach. It was an inconvenience yes, but now I know a lot more than when I stared. Next the emergency slide procedure. This one looks more difficult.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Yep, once you sign the papers on an RV, whether it be a $1K used model or a $1000K diesel pusher, you accept the fact your mechanical skills/knowledge will be put to the test. To what degree depends on you and your MH of course. We have been camping now for nearly 2 years and have learned a ton, but so much more to learn... especially when things 'don't work' as designed. Yep try to 'turn a negative into a positive'... I know easier said than done.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

Slideout issue

I had the same problem with my Schwintek slide. Once I learned that the trailer needs to be level before operating, I've never had an issue with it since. Although your problem may be different since you have a motor home. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

Rodpod,

Your welcome! We've all been in your position.

I can share a little info on the slides. There is a huge bar that runs along the bottom of the slide. Look in your belly compartments under the slide, right inside the compartment close to the edge and above your head in the dark. the bar is either square or has square ends. Basically its a drive shaft with gears on it meshing with the gears on the slide motor.

Now, look for a bolt or pin through the rod, that can be removed and allow the rod to rotate without being connected to the gear box.

So if you remove the bolt the shaft is free to rotate from the slide motor.

Get some big crescent wrenches and some campground buddies. One guy on each end of that rod and you can slowly put in or out even the biggest slide.

Not fun, but doable.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll check it out, hopefully I never have to use this method but it's good to know.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

We also purchased a 24M with the Murphy bed. We have only been out in it 5 weeks total since last fall. The slide motor failed on the on the front side. We can not but the slide out. Although it too is under warranty the part will not be in for two weeks and the service centre is booked solid so our current vacation as well as our other summer plans are shot and this is threatening to ruin our fall vacation too. You talk about a controller with code lights. Where are these located? I have found nothing like this. Heck I can't even find the motor they are taking about. Our manual talks about being able to manually move the slide but nothing they write about looks familiar. If these motors fail so easily I want to be able to salvage a vacation and not be at the mercy of poor manufacturing
Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppard View Post
Although it too is under warranty the part will not be in for two weeks and the service centre is booked solid so our current vacation as well as our other summer plans are shot and this is threatening to ruin our fall vacation too.
Contact JAYCO and see if there is a service center or mobile service company in your area that they work with.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Contact JAYCO and see if there is a service center or mobile service company in your area that they work with.
Thanks Grumpy. We were in our dealerships area so we took the rig up. They diagnosed the problem but it will be two weeks to get the part and three or weeks to get us in.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoudenhoven View Post
Good morning. I just purchased a Jayco Melbourne 24M. Love the space with the murphy bed. The problem right from the get go has been the slideout. Extending it works fine but I have to reset at the dual controller to get it to come back in. I get a code with 9 red lights and one green. That code means "hall power short to ground". It says this is usually a wiring problem. The one green light means it may involve the wiring to, or the number one motor.
It's under warranty of course so I'll have it looked at. This time of year, there is a bit of a wait to get it in. Irritating with a brand new unit. Anyone with similar problems? What was the ultimate cause? GVO
Hi Vanoudenhoven. You mentioned a controller. Where is this located in your 24M? I can't find one in our 24M.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #12

one thing I learned about swintek slides is that you need to move them out or in without stopping them. Was told that from research on these slides before buying my whitehawk. Just my two cents on this issue.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

Slide Controler on 24 M

Did anyone answer the question of where the slide controller is located in a 24M. We know where the motor is (top corner of slide hidden by the rubber wipe). But we can’t find the controller.
If anyone has info we would appreciate hearing from you.
Thank you
Old 10-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #14

Our 2020 Redhawk 24B had so many problems with the slide over the weeks of our first long trip. I read the book, watched the YT videos by the Lippert experts on syncing and performing resets. Then I realized I had a MECHANICAL problem and not a sync issue. A mechanical issue cannot be overcome by an electronic reset or sync.

We took it to our dealer and they had it 50+ days and we cancelled trips right in the middle of the summer camping season. I argued and pushed back many times to get my dealer to realize the problem was the gearing jumping the pinion track. I heard the gears popping at times when extracting and retracting the slide.

Finally, the dealer worked with Jayco and together they formulated a solid repair that not only worked but put us back on the road. I am going to publish the video our dealer made for us - expertly explaining the issue and the factory approved fix. Kudos to our dealer.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote