Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Solar Install

I had thought about a solar install in the future, but have seen a few posts about panels shorting and burning the rubber roof does not seem a good idea with out possibly putting down some fire retardant material under the thin panels that lay flat on the roof with out ventilation. Any one ever had a problem with a scorched roof from a shorted panel? With all the panels on the market seems they all have had a problem at one time.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

I do not have panels on my rv, however, I do have 5kw on my home's roof. Outside of improper wiring, I have not heard of any fire-related issues on panels, themselves. What you have read, may suggest differently, however, IMHO I would just recommend doing your diligence in securing your wiring, selecting proper gauge, and using approved connectors to avoid shorts or faults.
One thing I've noticed with my home's panels is that their efficiency is very sensitive to thermal fluctuations (performance decreases as temps increase by as much as 20%).
Any extra material you might put underneath the panel, might actually act as an insulator and cause the panel to cool less efficiently, thus causing your total power output to decrease and/or increasing the potential for a failure due to overheating.
As I said, an RV panel might be completely different than what I'm experienced with, so my advice may be worth what you paid for it!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Solar

The air space between the panel and the roof helps cool the panel and the roof as well - they make a panel that you glue to the roof but I would be very afraid to use them

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I had thought about a solar install in the future, but have seen a few posts about panels shorting and burning the rubber roof does not seem a good idea with out possibly putting down some fire retardant material under the thin panels that lay flat on the roof with out ventilation. Any one ever had a problem with a scorched roof from a shorted panel? With all the panels on the market seems they all have had a problem at one time.
I have yet to hear or see a SOLAR panel going up in flames when wired in properly (with proper wire protection). If you put a fuse between the panel and the SOLAR charge controller you pretty much removed most of the chances for a short... wait, the fuse if you are worried, should be as close to the panel as possible eliminating the possibility of a short in the connecting wires. I have 2" of space between the panel and the roof. The temperature of the roof under the panel was 119 degrees the same as the temperature around the panel.

The key point is take your time, use quality parts and do not take any shortcuts, when wiring in the panels.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

I've never heard of a panel shorting out either and I have read a lot of info on solar installs/systems.

Halfway through our third season with solar and I have never had any regrets installing it. Best mod possible! Never have to plug in or worry about power.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I've never heard of a panel shorting out either and I have read a lot of info on solar installs/systems.

Halfway through our third season with solar and I have never had any regrets installing it. Best mod possible! Never have to plug in or worry about power.

Cheers
I like Subaru reported, have read many many posts and blogs from others and never heard of an issue with panels shorting out or over heating.

Subaru, curious if you used flat flex panels taped down to the roof of your RV with no air gap under them or rigid panels that are mounted with brackets that have an air gap under them?

Others please weigh in to answer as well, curious what others are using and their experience.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #7

I had read on another group the person had a cell on a panel shorting and had started burning the roof membrane, you would think if it was fused that would not of happened.I know the panel you attach flush with roof do get a little warmer do to no air flow underneath.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

I have three rigid panels now all mounted with a good gap underneath. I like the concept of the flexible panels but I would rather not take the efficiency hit. Although you could just add in an extra panel but that gets costly.

Cheers