Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Sound like a motor running in the compartment under the bed?

When we plugged our RV into shore power the other day, after a little while we heard a faint sound like a motor running somewhere. The sound went off after 1-2 minutes, and after another little while went back on. And off. And on. Etc., etc.

I suspect it may have been there all along (we're still very new to the rig), but we never noticed it because we've always had a fan running in the bedroom. The sound seemed to be emanating from somewhere in the bedroom. Opening all the doors and drawers, it seemed loudest (although still not very loud) when I lifted up the bed.

Is part of the electrical system, like maybe the convertor, located somewhere behind a wall or something down there? I don't believe I've ever seen it anywhere out in the open.

Thanks!
2016 29MV; toad 2013 GMC pickup
LandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

It's your inverter (not converter) fan. It cycles constantly whether the inverter is in use or not. It doesn't matter what the indoor or outdoor temp is, it still cycles. I find it rather annoying. And yes, it is under your bed along with your transfer switch, converter, water pump, and slide controller. Look on the end of your bed and you'll see the converter control panel with fuses and breakers. All this other stuff is under the thin plywood panels.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

We just ignore it now... you get used to it. Three things that you can do:

Vacuum real good in that compartment, there will be sawdust and construction debris under there. The cleaner it is, the cooler it will stay.

Seal the holes where the wires and cables go thru the floor. We could see the street thru the holes in ours, and a lot of outside heat (and bugs & water) comes up thru those openings.

Add cooling vents to the vertical walls of the bed platform box. That will go a long way to keeping it cooler down there.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote