Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

South Dakota, Wyoming Trip

Planning trip next year to Mt. Rushmore, YellowStone and Grand Teton. Plan is to head to MT. Rushmore first and then on to Yellowstone and grand Teton. Will be starting from the Cincinnati area. Interested to hear from anyone about best route, best time of year to go, where to stay and what to see.

Thanks

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
mtnester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

We took 64 West to 70, then went North on 29 to 90. The roads aren't bad and if you take the bypass at Kansas City, you can avoid tolls. We had good experiences at KoAs in the badlands and Mt. Rushmore and really liked Colter Bay in the Tetons.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

memphis02 I was thinking from our location north of Cincy of taking I-74 to Indy and then 80 over to 29 up to 90. Good to know about the KOAs because that's where we like to stay.

Thanks for the info

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnester View Post
memphis02 I was thinking from our location north of Cincy of taking I-74 to Indy and then 80 over to 29 up to 90. Good to know about the KOAs because that's where we like to stay.
That's the route, did it twice from Cincy. Try to stop in Mitchell to see the Corn Palace and also try to tour the Minute Man silo and control center right off of I-90.

www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

Just avoid the Rapid City KOA, crappy sites, mud holes if it rains and an even crappier manager.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

we live in columbus ohio, just got back from 45 days going west, the route mtnester said is the route we took. I80 in Iowa in places will beat you the death, but still a good rt
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
If you travel highway 20 from Casper to Cody, Wyoming be sure to stop at the Black Bear Cafe in Thermopolis, WY. Great atmosphere and food.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Wha I remember most about the trip to Billings, Montana in 2007 was the wind. Every day after we left Kansas City, Mo., the wind was endless. Our group were on Gold Wing motorcycles and trikes. We were litteraly blown frm one lane into the other several times. This was in late June/ early July. Just something to be aware of, enjoy your trip.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #8

If you don't have school age kids, recommend going before school lets out for the summer or about two weeks after school starts. Weather is usually good and the availability of camping sites is much improved. Out of Mt. Rushmore be sure to go by Devils Tower in eastern Wyoming. It is on the way from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

We went on 80 on our way to Y.S. from 29 Via Lincoln. All I can say about that stretch of road is "Buckle Up". I was genuinely concerned we were going to break things on account of the road being so terrible.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnester View Post
Planning trip next year to Mt. Rushmore, YellowStone and Grand Teton. Plan is to head to MT. Rushmore first and then on to Yellowstone and grand Teton. Will be starting from the Cincinnati area. Interested to hear from anyone about best route, best time of year to go, where to stay and what to see.

Thanks

I was in hill city last year. If you like steak there is a small place right in town. They only have two things on the menu steak and a chicken dish. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We went to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last Spring. End of May before schools lets out.
We found doing half of Yellowstone, then drop down 45 minutes into Grand Tetons was best. Otherwise, you could have to back track a 2-3 hours.
We flew in, so don't have any camping tips.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

We just got back from Yellowstone and stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. It's walking distance to the restaurants, shops, grocery store, and museum in W. Yellowstone. Very clean, and quiet, but no wood burning campfires allowed. Propane or charcoal campfires are ok, though. Full hookups and much grass to relax on. There are 2 KOA's in W. Yellowstone, but they are several miles outside of town. They are nice, also. If you're coming from the east, I would highly recommend the highway drive from Cody, Wy., into the east entrance of Yellowstone. That drive is simply breathtaking. Outside of Rushmore is a cool little town called Keystone. I have no camping advice for Rushmore and Tetons. As I said I just got back, but would love to go again with you. Happy Trails!!!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #13

If you're coming into Yellowstone through Cody, the KOA in Cody is really nice. There's also a great State Park...Buffalo Bill State Park. Near Jackson, right at the Hoback Junction, is a beautiful KOA right on the Snake River. West Yellowstone has two nice KOAs (we've stayed in both-we like KOAs, too), but everybody does rave about the Grizzly RV Park.

While in Wyoming, go to some of the out-of-the-way places. Yellowstone and Teton NP are great (as well as Mount Rushmore, SD) but it's a big state with lots of areas where you don't have to fight any crowds and can see twice the beauty. Go to our neck-of-the-woods and drive the Sheep Creek Canyon Geological Loop near the Flaming Gorge. You won't be disappointed, and you can camp in designated campgrounds in that area or just boondock on BLM land with no one around for miles. Do go to Devil's Tower - amazing place.

Red Lodge, Montana is right on the border, and a drive on the Beartooth Highway is worth your time, too. Hope you have a month - you'll want it once you get here.

Spring and fall are the best times in the high tourist areas, but weather restrictions can apply.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #14

Ok so made reservations for next year. We will be pulling out next May and heading for Mt Rushmore area for seven nights then on the Cody Wyoming for six nights and then to Colter Bay Village for ten nights.

What's everybody's thoughts on booking tours and things to do now? Is it to early or should we take a chance and wait till we arrive at each place?

Thanks everybody for all the info.

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #15

We were a little let down by Colter Bay Village. We asked to book tours/activities in January when we booked our camping spots and were told "Oh, don't worry about those, just book 'em when you get here". -Well, EVERYTHING was completely booked and we missed out on a few things we were looking forward to, entirely. I would recommend doing as much early booking as possible...
Old 08-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #16

When I hear about Yellowstone I always get excited. We just returned two weeks ago after having made the fourth trip there from the east coast. You are near I-70 and you can take that to Denver and pick up I-25 and get I-90. Take I-80 and go up to I-90 to see Rushmore. We have tried it in different combinations. There is so much to see expecially if you are cowboy buff like myself. I have never gone out without going thru Cody. It is the true west and do not miss the rodeo there. From Rushmore you can follow I-90 into Buffalo, Wy and for a little mountaineous driving take Highway 16 across the southern part of the Bighorn Mts. its the safest route by RV. into Cody. From there Yellowstone is only some 50-60 miles away. When somewhat younger by 20 years my wife and I decided to take the ride from Red Lodge Mt down the Beartooth highway and that was the most scary ride I ever had towing a 12000lb 5th wheel. We were warned in Sheridan not to take that route towing a heavy trainler because of all the swithchbacks and hairpin turns but boy was it exciting. This year we took 16 out of Buffalo up to Cody. Of course Yellowstone and the Tetons are super places no other in the US in my opinion but there are so many other exciting places along the way that when you go that far from home its nice to take some of these places in. There is so much western history along way that we always made many stops to see and investigate. Good luck.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #17

xmtraveler Sounds great! So this our first long trip driving our 32ft Greyhawk and we are not towing a car. Do you think we should stay off of the Beartooth highway?

Thanks

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #18

I think with no tow it should be a fantastic ride providing you have no issue with steep grades, the switchbacks which I remember are many. When we came down the Beartooth we were towing a 12000lb 5th wheel with 3000 lb resting on rear axle so going down hill it was a precarious ride to say the least. I had and still have the Ford 7.3L turbo diesel truck and I can say there never was a time when it was critical that the brake controller performed perfectly. In the 7.3L engine (legendary Ford engine) the engine had to always be under 4000 rpm for engine safety. That was hard when you are using the engine for extra braking. Scaling the mountain passes was no contest for this huge engine but on the downhill had to be careful to keep it out of the red zone. So relying on the controller and keeping the engine transmission in 2nd or third gear made all the difference in the world. At the time I felt like it was a highway I should never have tried because it was downright scary for both me and my wife. I just came back two weeks ago and thought several times of make the trip with the Jayco 2017 Redhawk but because I had a car in tow we decided not to chance it. There were other RVs on the highway as well but I believe most RVer are very skeptical of the Beartooth. I do believe if you have no tow with engine braking and slow going you should be fine. Just do not underestimate any of the grades. Of course the easiest and safest route up to Cody is on Hwy 16 which you can pick up right out of Buffalo, Wy. It a nice ride up to Cody but in no way as scenic like the Beartooth. As a matter of fact there are many more grades some 7-9 % on the trip out of Cody back to Buffalo. Never could figure that but the trip up to Cody basically has 2-3 steep grades just before you get to tiny town of Ten Sleep and after that its a cake walk into Cody. Read a couple of post about the KOA in Buffalo but We always stayed at the Deer Park in Buffalo before crossing the southern edge of the Bighorns to Cody. Great campground and the owners are very nice people, extremely friendly. Would recommend it to anyone. You always here the comment about the Beartooth being the most scenic highway in America in my opinion it is. The beauty is spectacular and unparallel to any other that I have traveled and we have spent a lot time traveling Colorado, Montana and Wyoming. Go for it I believe you will have no problem just take it easy as will any other rig you see on the road.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #19

We took our Jeep. I would never even take our little 25 foot Melbourne on the Beartooth Highway! It wasn't scary at all but would have been in our motorhome.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote