Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Spare Tire?

I just ordered a steel rim and now I need to choose a tire. Did you choose the factory Michellin or a cheaper tire for the spare?
Michellin is about $200 found some others a bit cheaper .
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

I stayed with Michelin and go thru Costco as I'm very pleased with followup service if necessary.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #3

Michelin - Sam's Club
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

Im gonna get the Michellin when the rim gets here. I just realized the inner dual rim is steel not alum like the outter and front so i can put it their perminately if for some reason i needed to.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

I use a spare which is exactly like my michelins. This year, the new mounted spare goes into the rotation, and one of the front tires goes in the Greyhawk basement.
I don't think that you are correct about different wheels? Those aluminum things are merely wheel covers. Pry one off to see the wheel.
Remember, that a tire (even in storage) gets old, dry and ages . So get it rolling, or it's useless when you need it.
Greydennyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

Dealer ordered it with the optional aluminum rims. But the inner rear is just steel so i can put it in to rotation their i guess.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
Im gonna get the Michellin when the rim gets here. I just realized the inner dual rim is steel not alum like the outter and front so i can put it their perminately if for some reason i needed to.

Thanks
I don't get it. The wheels are all steel irregardless if they are the inner rear, on the front, or wherever. The only aluminum are the four decorative wheel covers showing on the exterior of your tires. This is the set-up I see on my 2015 Greyhawk 31 FS. So are you saying you have a mix of aluminum as well as steel wheels on your MH? I am interested.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

"Alcoa" style Aluminum rims are an optional upgrade from Jayco. They are not "covers" but actual complete Aluminum rims. You see them often on larger Class A's. They look like these :

Because you can't see the inner dual most people don't pay the expense of having those as Aluminum as well but rather keep the cheaper steel wheels as the inner dual and just run with a plastic spacer between the Aluminum outer and the steel inner.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Intresting about the spacer when it warms up here im gonna pull the rear wheels as a test run so i have no suprises if i ever have to change on the side of the road KNOCK ON WOOD.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Ideally you will have spacers on the front as well between the steel hub and the Aluminum rim. By "ideally" I mean they are not mandatory, they just make changeovers much easier as they cut down on corrosion (ie. the rim doesn't "stick" to the hub or to the other rim made from dissimilar metal).

Just to clarify, something like this (the one in the link below isn't the correct size) is what I'm talking about :

Amazon.com: Accuride Wheel-Guard Separator Plate 10 hole 285.75mm: Automotive

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #11

I put an original Michelin tire on a steel wheel, and keep that in the rear storage compartment. There is lots of room and I don't use it all. BUT, in hindsight, I would have just carried the tire. I would not attempt a change myself, that's what Good Sam is for, and I believe those people that make road service calls have the ability to mount and change a tire on the spot.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #12

I too am looking for a spare, BUT... you have aluminum rims made by ultra wheels, the problem they aluminum rims use a conical lug and the steel use a flange faced nut. They are NOT interchangeable. unless you want the wheel to pass you on the road. it will either break the stud or oblong the holes on the rim which will create the previously mentioned problem.
fam cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fam cruiser View Post
I too am looking for a spare, BUT... you have aluminum rims made by ultra wheels, the problem they aluminum rims use a conical lug and the steel use a flange faced nut. They are NOT interchangeable. unless you want the wheel to pass you on the road. it will either break the stud or oblong the holes on the rim which will create the previously mentioned problem.
All you need to do if you want to is carry a set of wheel nuts with the spare that fit them!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #14

Fam cruiser thanks for the input i didnt think of that. I will pick up some spare lugs as well. It always something. I got the spare from costco i pre ordered online and went to the store to have it mounted on the rim. They almost wouldnt do it because e450 was not it there computer system. I had to get the manager to sign off on it. The simplest things turn out tobe the biggest PIA
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #15

I bought a tire change ramp for my TT. It sure saves time changing a tire and I don't have to use a jack. It only works for dual axles only. My spare is already on a steel rim.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #16

Yeah one thing to note is that tire dealers are getting really picky about what they mount on what rim for what vehicle. So if you want to go to an e rated tire on a tt that has d rated on it .. Might be a good idea to take just the rims and have them mount them. The tag on the side of my camper clearly states the size and rating for the tires and I am not sure my local discount tire store would mount anything different..... Once again those lawyers at work to avoid trouble. ... I know this how you ask.? Well I had a tire for my daughters van I bought at Walmart but they wouldn't mount it because that particular wheel only had 4 lugs on it. So I took it to my shop and pulled the wheel so I could run it over to discount tire and have it mounted. I get over there and they ask me what it's going on and I tell them so they look up the vehicle and tell me they can't mount it because it is the wrong size. Now I already have the left side mounted by Walmart and they had sold me both telling me they were the right size. So now I have to take both rims off and back to Walmart to have them install the right size tire on them. 4 hours later I am saying why couldn't they have just mounted the tire. It was like 10 lbs different load range. Lol
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #17

I bought a matching rim and tire as came from factory for mine. Did not want to worry about anything.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote