Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Wyn

Spare Tire Holder for Greyhawk 29MV

I would like to carry a spare tire & wheel on my 2015 Greyhawk 29MV. I do not want to use a bumper mounted tire mount as I am certain the bumper is not strong enough to carry the weight. The Forest River Forester Class C's have a spare tire mounted under the rear of the motorhome between the rear axle and bumper, I don't know if their tire carrier would fit the Jayco. Has anyone on this forum mounted a spare tire on their Class C, and if so what did you use?
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

I am anxiously watching your responses, because I have the same question. currently store my spare in the rear storage compartment but would like to get it out of there, and agree with your assessment of a bumper mount.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
Has anyone on this forum mounted a spare tire on their Class C, and if so what did you use?
My 06 Class C Jayco came with an under chassis spare tire mount. As far as I know it was a Jayco option - have you checked with your dealer?
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Tire carrier with receiver hitch

Our Greyhawk also lacks a spare. I haven't decided yet if I am going to add one and if so, where to carry it. The rear cargo bin is one possibility.

I am not sure if an under-frame carrier would work. Everything hangs so darned low as it is.

But I did find a Roadmaster hitch-mounted carrier with a pass-thru receiver that would still allow me to hang the bicycle rack on it or even pull my motorcycle trailer. The manufacture says it is rated for up to 400 pounds of tongue weight which is far less than my Kendon trailer with the Honda Shadow on it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrcos@gmail.com View Post
My 06 Class C Jayco came with an under chassis spare tire mount. As far as I know it was a Jayco option - have you checked with your dealer?
The Greyhawk is the first dual-wheel vehicle we've ever had. So the older 'Hawks came with a single spare? Then I assume that spare would be able to be mounted on the front and on both the inner/outer dual wheel positions?

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Yes, same rim for both front and rear.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

As I prepared for my Alaska trip, I bought this - Curt Spare Tire Mount

Luckily I never needed it. Glad I had it because even if I had full tire protection package from any vendor, it would not have mattered, as ther were days without cell coverage to call for help...
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #8

It looks like the Curt would block access to the rear compartment access door

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

These rigs have 3 different rims (front, rear inside, rear outside). Can't really see the point of carrying one spare as it's only a 33% (1/3) chance that a blow out would be for the tire your spare would fit. If we assume having a blowout could happen 5% of the time you travel (1 every 20,000 miles), then you'd only have a 1.6% chance of having a proper fitting spare when you need one (5% x 33%).

Why bother?
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

It's the same rim for all three positions.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
These rigs have 3 different rims (front, rear inside, rear outside). ?
What are "these rigs" that you are referring to ?

The OP has a newer model Greyhawk. Greyhawk's built on the Ford E-450 chassis all come with the same rim (16 x 6) and tire size (225/75 R16) on all six tire locations so carrying one spare tire on a rim would fit ANY spot on "these particular rigs" if you happened to have a flat or a blow out . . .

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

Units with steel rims are all the same. Units with alcoa aluminum have 3 different rims. A standard steel spare will fit in any position reguardless if you have steel or aluminum. I think that might be what the confusion is.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by busguy View Post
What are "these rigs" that you are referring to ?

The OP has a newer model Greyhawk. Greyhawk's built on the Ford E-450 chassis all come with the same rim (16 x 6) and tire size (225/75 R16) on all six tire locations so carrying one spare tire on a rim would fit ANY spot on "these particular rigs" if you happened to have a flat or a blow out . . .
My bad. I had the exact same question as the OP as I'm considering purchasing a Greyhawk. When I looked at a 31FK this weekend at Hershey I saw that it had 3 different wheels. The dealer told me that's the case, so carrying a spare wouldn't guarantee anything. I stand corrected.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
. . . Units with alcoa aluminum have 3 different rims. A standard steel spare will fit in any position reguardless if you have steel or aluminum. I think that might be what the confusion is.
When you say "different " that kind of adds to the confusion. The alcoa rims used front and rear are the exact same rim (and size), they are just polished on different sides (outside polish for the front, inside for the rear).

The Alcoa Aluminium rims will fit any position on the vehicle as well although carrying an aluminum spare would be silly for sure as you wouldn't want to scratch up the polished surface if you had to use it in the "wrong" location.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
. . . Units with alcoa aluminum have 3 different rims. A standard steel spare will fit in any position reguardless if you have steel or aluminum. I think that might be what the confusion is.
When you say "different " that kind of adds to the confusion. The alcoa rims used front and rear are the exact same rim (and size), they are just polished on different sides (outside polish for the front, inside for the rear).

The Alcoa Aluminium rims will fit any position on the vehicle as well although carrying an aluminum spare would be silly for sure as you wouldn't want to scratch up the polished surface if you had to use it in the "wrong" location.

But they are still different. I was just saying that even though they are different a steel rim spare will fit any where reguardless you dont meed to carry three different spares.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
But they are still different. I was just saying that even though they are different a steel rim spare will fit any where reguardless you dont meed to carry three different spares.
I think we are on the same page but obviously coming at it from opposite sides of said page . . .

When I think of the word "different" as it applies to rims on a vehicle I mean that they are not interchangeable (i.e. the front rims cannot be used on the back because they won't fit). On a Greyhawk, all of the rims are interchangeable whether they are aluminum or steel (ie. they will all fit in ANY location on the vehicle).

The Alcoa rims are "different" in that they are polished on different sides but they are the exact same rim (size, shape, weight, etc) and can be used interchangeably in any position on the vehicle (although it would look ugly if the polished side was facing inward).

As far as a spare goes though I completely agree that steel would be the smart choice because you don't care which side get's scratched up, but again to be clear, if for whatever reason you did have an Aluminum spare (and let's say it was outside polished to go on the front) it would still fit in ANY of the positions on the vehicle (including the rear).

Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
It looks like the Curt would block access to the rear compartment access door
Only if you have it mounted on a rear hitch . . .

We currently carry a mounted spare in the rear cargo area (because it's cavernous on the DS) but I'm contemplating the mod that this owner did as a project this winter :

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...450-13319.html

Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #18

Yes seen that thread. I am thinking of just buying a spare tire, unmounted and keeping it in the storage compartment.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #19
Wyn

My preference is to mount the spare under the motor home, it appears there is a lot of room behind the rear axle, but my understanding is that Jayco does not offer a spare mount for their Class C motorhomes. Do you think the spare tire mount from an Econoline E250 would work?

The hitch mounted carrier mentioned by NC Roamer is a possibility, but I prefer a under vehicle location if possible.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
Do you think the spare tire mount from an Econoline E250 would work?
Absolutely, but you would need to add a cross brace to mount the winch mechanism to.

Here are a couple of owners that did just that :

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-29d-6591.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hawk-9377.html