Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
I've had many boats in my days and spider cracks are common on all fiberglass products. It is not structural since the gel coat is the first layer applied in the molds then the fiberglass is sprayed in a layered up from there. Most spider cracks occur from a flexing issue or maybe as much as a hard hit to the point where the spider starts, i.e. center point. Unless your whole panel needs to be replaced or completely resurfaced you could have a fiberglass or good auto body shop repair the issue for a fraction of what you're loosing on the trade IMHO. At the very least have a shop specializing in this type repair work write up a quote for the work. The other option is if you can get to another dealer get a second quote on the trade in writing and see what they say. At least you've got something to bargin with then. $10K seems steep unless I am missing something.

The fiberglass caps on our rigs do very little for a structural stand point since they are only 1/8-3/16 of an inch thick.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Jayco or Dealers ???

All of my warranty work has been done by a Jayco dealer (Owasco in Ontario) without a problem. Is the problem that some owners have a Jayco factory or a Jayco dealer problem ? My problems have always been resolved without any need for involvement at the Jayco Factory.

Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #13

1) I, too, have generally had very good experience with Jayco in terms of dealer and manufacturer response. This is my 4th Jayco RV.

2) I had spider-web cracks on my HitchHiker fifthwheel and although I never followed through with this suggestion, I did think it was a good one (for what it is worth): contact one of the bathtub renew companies that makes old fiberglass bathtubs look new and see what the could do and what they would charge to "renew the end-cap".

Joe & Barb
Shoreview, MN
Navarre, FL
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
Getting Jayco to help with our issues has been a constant problem from day one. Our dealer is 620 miles away (not going there). The local dealer said he would prefer not to do the work. So we are driving 120 miles to a dealer that will.
Getting the parts to fix our problems has been a joke. Wrong parts received, damaged parts received. You name it & it has happened.
Going on three months now to get issues resolved.
My big hang up is that I've been the driving force to get things done. Jayco will not except ownership of the issues. If I was not constantly on the phone, nothing would be getting done (that's all the way from Orlando RV to Jayco, Inc).
I even had one dealer tell me that the RV industry was not like the auto industry. "Don't think you can just drive into any Jayco dealer to get warranty work done. No dealer wants to do warranty work. No money in it". That's what I was told.
As a first timer, this is really turning me away for Jayco and the rv life.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Team
My local dealer made arrangements for a local fiberglass repair company to repair my front cap gelcoat thru Jayco on warranty. I dropped it off today and will pick it up in a couple days.

Sure am happy that some things are working as they should.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
I would consider you lucky !

Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote