Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

stabilizer/leveling jacks

The Redhawk I am buying doesnt have leveling jacks or stabilizers. I would think stabilizers would help some?
Any suggestions?
fishguy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Team

We upgraded from leveling jacks on our previous TT to stabilizers on the EAGLE and between the 2, the leveling jacks were much better. With the stabilizers we get movement when walking inside. The only time that the TT is ROCK solid is when we put the large concrete blocks under the stabilizers. Next TT will have leveling jacks. May add them to the current TT.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
...snip... leveling jacks were much better. ...snip
Don

Do you mean the scissors jacks were much better?

Sorry, but when I search for 'leveling jacks' I find a whole lot of things of different configurations returned. Just not sure what configuration worked best for you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Don

Do you mean the scissors jacks were much better?
Yes the scissors jacks. Sorry about that. I really did not care about the movement, but DW let me know she was not happy. So I guess if DW is not happy, I'm not happy....

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
GMC

I put scissor jacks on all four corners of my little TT and it made a HUGE difference! It is rock solid. Also I added save a jack mounts because my ground clearance is so low. Cant say enough good about those either. (except the price)
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
So I guess if DW is not happy, I'm not happy....
Don
Not a foreign concept at all.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

if your buying new i had mine installed by jayco at the factory, they are bigfoot brand and they work great about 3200.00 they can be installed after market, otherwise cameo makes a leveling device that about 23.00 its electronic and you throw it on floor near fridge and drive up on your leveling blocks till level- i always use a product called unblocks which you can buy from northern tool they will last forever and lock together real nice ,stabilizer jacks are not really designed to level motorhomes and will allow the unit to sway as they do in most travel trailers
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

We had HWH auto leveling jacks on our old motorhome. After having them, I swore I would never have them again. I specifically did not get them on our new Red Hawk for that reason. Instead, I bought a pack of Lynx Levelers and a 4 pack of A- frame screw type jacks. I level with the Lynx blocks, then stabilize using 2 jacks under the hitch on the rear, and 2 under the front frame pieces. Very easy to do, works very well, no possible leaks or expensive repair bills. Also, the price is so much less. I have been very happy with my choice.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

My GreyHawk 31FS did not come with the big foot levelers. I have only seen a few Class C's set up with TT style stabilizers. We carry 2x10 pieces and 2 sets of the yellow inter connecting blocks. We dont have issue with the minor rocking of the coach when parked. The Chasis is stable. We have 3 kids and I have yet to say to myself we needed stabilizers.

Most the time we can find a spot that doesnt require any or very little leveling. Generally the Greyhawk rides nose down. So a slightly sloping to the rear site puts us nearly level. At most you have to put a board under each front wheel. At worst I have to level the front with blocks and one side or both rears with boards.

We have 14,000 miles on our rig and I would not say I have a super want for a leveling system. After a while you get pretty good at judging spots and leveling. If the rig came with them, I would count it as a plus. It would be nice to have 1 button leveling.

If you are super picky about the coach not rocking and being perfectly level every time. Get the system.

The system also comes as additional weight. I believe it is a couple hundred pounds. That should also be considered.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #10

We ordered ours with the Bigfoot system, and also have about 14,000 miles. We love them. Other than having to recalibrate them once (which you do yourself-not hard), we have not had any issues. If the battery voltage drops too low, the system can lose it's calibration. We often arrive late to campsites, because we leave after work. The last thing I would want to do at 10pm is futz with getting the coach level. One button, and about 30 seconds later, you're done. Worth it for us.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote