Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Standing on roof for auto races

I have a 2014 31DS. I have been told the roof is strong enough to support people standing or sitting on it and seems solid to me. It is a rubber roof. I would like to have some kind of short fence or railing around it for safety. I haven't been to a race to see what others do. Daytona rules specifically state it must be a part of the RV. Screwed down not just sitting on top. I was thinking of using something like this to mount a railing Allure Aluminum 5.75 in. x 5.75 in. x 4 in. Black Aluminum Fence Base Flange-DT2701-BL - The Home Depot . I would screw them down permanently and then just attach the railing when I get there. Anyone have a suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
01ab270a-b045-4b06-b1b3-8cc0914a1d7d_1000[1].jpg  
bustrbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Personally, I think you would be asking for trouble. Granted Jayco brags about the weight the roof will hold, but I am on my roof a lot and I would not take the chance. Secondly, stones cling to the bottom of shoes and could easily puncture the rubber. The fencing, if leaned on could flex the roof at the mounting point causing a leak or break away causing other problems.

Just my thoughts

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Since you're out of warranty now you can poke all the holes in your roof that you want, but I'm with Don on this.

My wife and I watched a drifting race that was taking place next to our camp spot last summer. I could feel the roof flexing a little as we walked around on it, and I weigh 175 pounds wet. My wife 100. I wouldn't want a whole crew of people up there. Does Daytona require that you have the railing or is this just your preference? Just curious.

I don't have a problem watching events from up there, but won't be making any permanent mods to facilitate it. But to each his own, if you plan on doing this kind of event a lot, it may very well be worth the risks. I'd be concerned that the rail posts would act like giant crow bars on those brackets and would eventually cause you problems. If it saves you from falling off the roof, it's worth it, but if an adult were to run into the rail, chances are pretty good it's all going to come down with you. Those roof trusses aren't that big and I could see any screws put in them ripping out in an emergency situation.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Yes puncturing the roof would be easy. I would put down carpet or something. I'm just looking for a safety net. I wouldn't allow leaning on it and the mount at the bottom should be wide. It's so easy to fall off nothing to grab. If it kept someone from falling off but ruined the roof it would be worth it. Thanks for comment Don.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

No a railing is not required People just sit on their roofs. Thanks Bansai
Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustrbyte View Post
Yes puncturing the roof would be easy. I would put down carpet or something. I'm just looking for a safety net. I wouldn't allow leaning on it and the mount at the bottom should be wide. It's so easy to fall off nothing to grab. If it kept someone from falling off but ruined the roof it would be worth it. Thanks for comment Don.
How will you find the trusses to drill into?

I can't imagine anything up there strong enough to prevent an adult or even a kid from falling. I mean if you look into the lag screws used to attach a railing to a porch - I can't imagine anything that beefy being up there.

I'd be worried that the first stress would rip 'em out.
They'd simply have a piece of railing with them on the ground...

JMHO
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #7

Cross bracing from one side to the other would help a lot. I'm not giving up yet. I'll be watching from the roof, railing or not. I think I could find the trusses but would not expect them to be too good.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

I'd like to get in on the record that this is a bad idea. Lots of people make lots of poor decisions and get away with them, doesn't mean that you will. I wouldn't stand or sit on the roof of MY trailer, or the roof of a trailer owned by any friend of mine.

Jayco makes a stronger roof than most, but it is not designed to be a platform for a party.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
M&A

Seen at CES - Helicopter and roof Jacuzzi optional.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

Races I have gone you see folks on RV tops, but most of the units are old conversions, school buses etc. The crowd I've witnessed would need more than a railing to keep from doing a swan dive and all the trips up and down to pee would almost certainly total your ladder. The only way I would do something like you are proposing is to do it on your top.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
Site Team

If you do go with the idea of having a party on the roof... make sure your party does not step anywhere near the AC as the gasket setup may be compromised because of the wood flexing... same around the sky-lights.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #12

Does anybody know if you have to vent your generator up the side of the MH? I see the kits, but just wondering if I'm gonna need it in the infield at Daytona. Seneca doesn't have much storage left!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Does anybody know if you have to vent your generator up the side of the MH? I see the kits, but just wondering if I'm gonna need it in the infield at Daytona. Seneca doesn't have much storage left!
I invested in one of the kits and modified my chrome tailpipe extension to go back in place when exhaust pipe extension isn't on. We use it at rodeos and when parked 4 times a year in our friend's driveway. We back in and the exhaust was going in his garage, before we started using the extension. It works! Carries the exhaust, and I think quite a bit of the noise, up in the air. Certainly kept it out of the garage. Added the suction cups, that work well, but I have been considering installing the hooks.

See my note about finding extra storage..

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-fs-41755.html
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #14

I don't think it's required but I always use my exhaust stack.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #15

We have a 2011 31 DS. I walk on our roof as gingerly as possible and personally would never have more than 1 person up there at a time. As another poster mentioned you can definitely feel the roof "flexing" a little bit as you walk around on it.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #16

Even though it says you can put 4500 lbs. on it, I wouldn't do it. I have the 28.5 RSTS, and when I get on the roof I crawl around; whether to clean the roof or get snow off of it. I had the X23B before, and I didn't do it then either.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #17

I would stand on your roof to watch the races. Of course I don't know you and I would be long gone by the time any damage is discovered 😀

The main worries I have are creating small holes that allow water to penetrate via rocks on shoes etc and creating big holes for water to penetrate via the railing mounts that will get leaned on.

Have you considered a platform supported partially from the ground? A few 4x4 posts 2x4s and sheets of plywood? It could save you money down the road.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #18

I am going to go ahead with installing a railing around the top of my 2014 31DS. I have designed it to be easily put up when I get to a race and easily stored when not in use. I talked to a tech at Jayco and he said weight is not a problem on the roof. I'll lay out a carpet to protect the roof from puncture. He sent me a diagram of the roof construction. The roof is 3/4 plywood with 3 1/2 inch aluminum trusses. I'll mark on the carpet where the trusses are to stand or sit.
When I finish I'll post pictures. I've got a spot reserved at Daytona for the 500
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #19

Standing on the roof is one thing, but sitting on chairs with one inch wide spindly legs could poke holes in the roof. If you get drunk enough up there you will probably just pee over the edge.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #20

I would double check on the roof decking. Most I have read about are 3/8 inch plywood and not 3/4. Even the floor in my old Jayco was only 5/8 inch. 3/4 is pretty heavy duty for roof decking. Stay safe, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote