Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Starting Generator

I have a 2017 29MV with the Onan 4000w generator. It takes about 5 to 6 tries to get the generator started. Priming by holding on Stop for about 5 seconds then press start. I run the generator at least twice a month for 15 mins or more when I am not using the RV.

Are others having to cycle Stop / Start this many times to get theirs started?

Is this the correct sequence for priming from a cold start?

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

I usually prime for about 15 seconds and it may take two tries.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

Cummins Onan generally recommends a 30 second prime cycle for all their generators.
With our gas generators we would always hold the Stop button until the fuel pump noise changed tone indicating the fuel bowl was full.

You might also double check the Altitude adjustment setting if equipped.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #4

Agree with checking the altitude setting, definitely makes hard starts if set wrong. I had mine for 3500' and forgot to reset to sea level when home. It took multiple tries to get started. Normally I prime until red light comes on and hold for another 5 or 10 seconds, crank for a 10 count, and it usually fires right up. If not I want a minute and repeat. Other than in severe cold weather ( below zero) I don't think it ever took more than 3 tries, normally 1 or 2.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

Mine is the same I usually do as stated above hold prime till I hear change in tone indicating bowl is full. Usually twice to start.Reminds me of the story my grandfather used to tell about starting his model A I think it started easier.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 AM   #6

I prime for about 15 sec also. Takes about 4 or 5 tries. Just make sure you keep it running for about an hour and make sure you run the ac unit along with it. Failure to do so will cost you in the neighborhood of $700 plus dollars.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

Mine takes a while to start too. Just recently the last time I started it it would crank and crank and then sorta stumble and pause, kind of like somebody peddling up a hill and having just enough to make it to the peak. Then the genny turns over like the bike crests the hill and goes flying down it.

I've got to try starting it up again soon.

I do run mine for 2 hours with 2 15k btu heaters running to make sure everything is getting good exercise. In the summer I'll run the roof AC.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Hello, My 2017 29MV also has exact same generator, I watched the sales person fight with this starting procedure. After I got this unit home i decided to do the normal checks on a gas carburetor engine . when I pulled the single plug in the front it was black and sooty , which tells me its been rich and flooded maybe many times. I adjusted the altitude and new spark plug from local auto parts store NGK BPR5ES and verified gap. , With a full bowl of fuel the gen started up with no priming right away. Since then i judge how long i leave the generator (2 weeks) and I only prime for 2-3 sec then it will start on first try.
I honestly think we might be flooding these units if you hold the stop down until the red light goes off. Just my 2 cents
Ted
Littleton,colorado
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

The manual DOES state you should only prime the system when the generator has been run dry. At least my manual does.

I'm going to try priming it for 2-3 seconds only and let it rip - see if it behaves better that way.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

where is this altitude adjustment? I assume its a screw adjustment?

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
where is this altitude adjustment? I assume its a screw adjustment?
It's typically a "finger knob" located below the carburetor behind the front access panel.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
I have a 2017 29MV with the Onan 4000w generator. It takes about 5 to 6 tries to get the generator started. Priming by holding on Stop for about 5 seconds then press start. I run the generator at least twice a month for 15 mins or more when I am not using the RV.

Are others having to cycle Stop / Start this many times to get theirs started?

Is this the correct sequence for priming from a cold start?

We purchased our MV back in Feb '16. We camped some, and took a road trip of six thousand mile from June through mid August while using the generator on many occasions. I quickly realized what it takes to start our generator after many attempts at starting.

When the generator is cold ....
First I push the lower portion of the rocker start button and count to fifteen (elephant 1, elephant 2 ....etc).
Then I push the start button for about three seconds for an attempt (knowing very well it won't start).
Then I push the lower portion of the start rocker button again, for a count of five to seven (elephant 1, elephant 2, ect) ..... this time it will probably start.

That is what my starting procedure has evolved to ..... If it's hot or still warm, it generally starts right up .....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #13

I like the 1 elephant etc. I was always told 1 Mississippi etc. ha maybe the elephant works better.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #14

I'm exercising mine twice a month during the winter. A few weeks ago with temps in the low 20's I did this:

- prime 15 secs

- crank for 10 secs
- wait 15 secs

- crank for 10 secs
- wait 15 secs

- started pressed again and it fired right up.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

Does the remote start/stop button inside the coach work to prime (by holding stop) or can that only be done at the genny directly?

When cold I have to hold down start for about 5-6 secs to get mine going, so I'm not too worried. Just curious in case it ever needs it.

Also, is it supposed to bounce up and down A LOT when starting or stopping? It scared me the first time I started it at the gen set and it rocked so much that it was a chore to keep my finger on the start button.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #16

Yes either switch, and yes.
Sounds like everything is working normally.
Nothing to see here.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #17

Good to know!

"Move along, move along."
Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #18

as said good to know
Old 03-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #19

I agree because had the same problem and I put in a new air filter and changed the spark plug to the NKG and it starts right up.
TheFang1940 is offline   Reply With Quote