Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Steps not working

Of course on the inspection, our 2011 steps work as they are supposed to. Shortly after purchase (the first trip) they start to act up. When starting the motor home, the step did not retract until I hit about 15 mph or so. Now, they don't retract at all with the motor home running. In fact, if the door is closed, steps are up, then I start the MH, the steps come back out. Currently, as long as the MH is running, the steps are out. They work as they should when the MH is off.

I have checked the wiring. All is correct according to the Kwikee troubleshooting guide. The grounds have been redone. The connection harness has been cleaned, the battery is new with full volts.

Currently, I am unplugging the steps when they are up before we leave and plugging them in at our destination. I suspect a bad "brain" and I am going to cut the MH power signal line as when this is "hot," that's when it doesn't work. I just need to make sure I don't take off with the door open. I figure before I do all this, I'd see if anyone had any other ideas. Spending $100-200 for a new brain seems risky when I physically have no way of checking and confirming the old one is bad.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #2

There are only a few issues that you can have with them, wiring, motor and control module. If they are functioning normally when the engine is off, and they had functioned before, it only makes sense it is the control module. I would say you have done all the proper diagnosis. Only question I would ask is, does the ignition circuit have a steady voltage as rpm increases, and do you know if there is a fuse in the ignition circuit that may be faulty? Other than that I would say order the control module.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

So a simple fix. I have cut the yellow wire that goes hot when the MH ignition is on. The steps now work as they should with the exception that there is no safety override to pull the steps up when you start the MH. There is now a reminder on the dash to make sure the step switch is "on" before we leave.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

After you spent all that money why would you not replace the controller
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonraker1 View Post
After you spent all that money why would you not replace the controller
I never spent any money.