Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Steps will not stay out

On a long trip, and the first day the steps would stay out when set to, the next day and still retract when closing the door, no matter what the switch is set to. The motor is off, in park, and the emergency break is on. The fuse for them is OK.

It's going to be a long winter if I can't get them to stay out!!!
HELP!!
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

If your steps are still deploying when you open the door, then the switch to keep the steps deployed at all times is defective. Either that or you're getting the 12VDC power from the chassis that says your ignition is on. The third choice would be a defective step module. Easy enough to troubleshoot the first two but choice three can only be determined by replacing the module.

Your steps are probably made by Kwikee and you should be able to look up the wiring diagram by step model. You'll have to crawl under MH to verify the ignition voltage is/isn't there. You should be able to troubleshoot the switch by pulling it out of the wall and verifying that it works.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Make sure you check the 5 amp inline fuse in wiring harness under floor of motorhome. If you only checked the main fuse in breaker/fuse panel then you need to check this other one. My steps would not stay out either from factory and it was this inline 5 amp fuse that was blown. Good luck
Digitalmixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Steps Keep working when shut off

I found that if I left the trailer 7 pin pig tail connected to my 24SS the stairs kept working even thou the steps were turned off. So now I unhook the trailer pig tail when we stop for the nights. It might have something to do with the electric brake controller.
Rob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Good ideas, but nada. Fuse is OK, and the trailer has been disconnected. Drove thru some heavy rain, and m a y b e something got wet. Not going to plug it back in till ready to head back home in a couple of months.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

We had a similar problem two years ago while @ Disney. Was all packed and ready to pull off site. Did a safety check and thought we were good to go. Hubby turned overy ignition and steps came. ??? Told him to shut it down - steps went back in. Ended up disconnecting them so we could get home. Dealer advised if was a bad relay switch.
Happycamper640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Faulty stairs

We have a 2013 Greyhawk 31fs. Had the stair motor replaced the second summer of ownership (by the dealer under warranty). Same thing, wouldn't stay out while the switch was off. Motor and switch were both replaced.

Also had a bunch of wires underneath the MH replaced as the protective harness had deteriorated. Not sure if this is because we live in Canada and have driven through snow/salt to get south. Regardless the dealer was good and replaced it all under warranty
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #8

My 31fs has had a few issues with the stairs. When approaching the Arctic Circle this summer, they decided not to retract or deploy, no matter the switch setting. I disconnected it and tied them up, then later they magiçally began working as it should. Then they just wouldn't retract until a few miles down the road. Dealer wrote it up as a fuse issue, but the stairs worked properly after that. Recently they have an issue with the gearbox that is preventing thêm from retracting properly. Then when helped back up, the motor continues and there is at least 10 seconds of loud gear grinding noises. Gotta take it back to the dealer
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

My stairs wouldn't retract when engine started. I disconnected the plug under coach and took it to service at home. They told me it was a loose ground. working fine now.
dlostyle1950@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #10

Well, after 3 months in AZ plugged the steps back in and now they work like they are suppose to??? Hope I didn't jinx myself.All I did was unplug them, once down, so they would stay out.