Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Storage Access Pull Latch Issue

OK, so we got the typical hurry up walk around/demo of our 29MV when I took delivery late last week. Not being my first rodeo I paid polite attention to the quirks of all the new stuff and brain cycled what I'm familiar with - that would be the side storage lockers.
The side storage lockers have two flavors of latch/lock mechanisms: 1. The tried and true twist latches accompanied with the twist '751' key latch. 2. The second being new-to-me recessed black handled pull latches with provisions for a key lock in the latch proper.
Alrighty then... All the doors the '751' key is supposed to work in are OK, no problemo. However the pull latches are locked tight as a drum head and NONE of the keys I have are insertable or even look they'll work. Obviously the FoMoCo ignition/door lock key is not a valid choice.
OK, so after this rant, what am I missing here? The magic touch in using a key I already have or am I missing a key specific to the those pull latches? Is there any other way past these pull latches other than unlocking them with a key?
I apologize for being long-winded. Obviously we're not going anywhere if I can stow some gear! Thanks for any help!
Vr,
MDW
Air2Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

ours isn't a mh but we had 2 different keys and also the one for the door on the camper. one was a single sided key and the other was a double sided key and one opens the slam door latches and the other opens the standard latches
Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #3

Hello Air2Mud,
I have a '16 29MV, The compartments with those latches takes a different key and it's the only two doors the key fits.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Once you figure out the key/lock quandary, you may want to look into having 'all' your outside compartment locks synced to single key (we changed-out all 751 locks fit the existing key of slam door locks). Much smoother lock tumbler and not too much $$$. Some went even so far to sync all MH locks (including main door) to single key, but we wanted to keep that one separate.

Baggage Compartment Locks and Keys
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoonie View Post
Hello Air2Mud,
I have a '16 29MV, The compartments with those latches takes a different key and it's the only two doors the key fits.
Thanks for the tip. I know for sure the slammer door key doesn't work and the 751 key is not even close. I'll be calling the "helpful" dealer today.
MDW
Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Our 2015 Greyhawk has a key for the door, which is oval with black plastic. Key for the small storage compartments, which is silver and a key for the large storage with black latches, which is square with black plastic. same keys posted by MrJackSprat !
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
Our 2015 Greyhawk has a key for the door, which is oval with black plastic. Key for the small storage compartments, which is silver and a key for the large storage with black latches, which is square with black plastic. same keys posted by MrJackSprat !
Interesting.
So, the 'black plastic' keys' business ends probably look similar and likely have different 3-digit key numbers on them...??
I'm beginning to think the dealer failed to give me the proper key. Gah
MDW
Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Our slam door key actually has a purple sheath, but the 3 digit code is stamped on it (# G 301... 350). Its funny when we ordered the extra barrel locks/cams, each came with a key, so I now have 9 identical keys... don't have to worry about loosing one.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

My slam hatch doors take a key that has been cut on both sides like a door key. The 751 is only cut on one side. Check your manual sleeve. Sometimes keys are put in there by Jayco.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote