Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

surge protector ... Portable , hardwired ... What ..???

.... Surge protectors .....

What are we using out there ....???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Just do a search as this subject comes up quite frequently on this site and offers plenty of information .
Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

I went with the portable Progressive Industries EMS-PT50.

Will most likely go with a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C at some point but not in the immediate future.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #4

Got one of these last year with our new greyhawk. Works great and definitely worth the piece of mind it provides. Friends of ours have the 50 amp version and swear by it after they saw others get their circuitry fried in a campground.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003A...q5L&ref=plSrch
Old 04-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #5

It depends. There are advantages to each.

There are surge protectors out there and more advanced (and expensive) ones that actually analyze the power.

Portables are nice because they are easy to move from an old camper to a new one provided they are both the same size 30A to 30A and 50A to 50A. However in my searches I have seen a lot of complaints that they get stolen, simply die for no reason or if they take a surge you throw them away and buy a new one. Also if you have an outlet on the post in poor condition, it can damage it and you may not be able to install a new connector on it. If they are covered under a warranty you have to send them in. There are times where you might not want to use one like when on a generator. Just don't plug it in where with an internal one you might need to put it in bypass or make a modification to the generator.

The internal ones are typically more costly, difficult to move and there for more difficult to install. However some are field serviceable. So if you do take a surge, you are not replacing the entire surge protector but rather just opening it up and changing out a board that took the hit. You don't have to worry about forgetting it and you can check on the status many times from inside the camper. If it is stolen, they probably made off with the entire camper.

I went with the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C because I decided I wanted the remote display and the ability to put the EMS in bypass without moving the lower bunk mattress and access panel to get to the device and manually moving a wire. Of course I could have bought the optional remote switch but the added cost of that was half the difference in price so I figured I would go with the more expensive one. If you don't need to use the bypass and don't care about the remote display the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 is a highly rated unit. Of course if you need 50A they make a 50A version of both.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
What are we using out there ....???
My Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hard-Wired came in very handy last month at Little Talbot Island SP when they were having some low voltage issues.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought a portable one. It came with a double ring along the cord This allows you to lock it with a bicycle cable lock.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I just bought a portable one. It came with a double ring along the cord This allows you to lock it with a bicycle cable lock.
Doug
X-2
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

I have a Surge Guard 34830 and it has protected my system 2 times that I know of. The first time, the trailer beside me had his entire electrical system blow out.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

I have a (actually I have two - one as a spare) PI EMS-PT50C and have had it hanging around outside for the past 7 years except when one was sent back to PI for warranty after saving me during which time my spare was hanging around outside. I volunteer at a couple of different campgrounds for a total of 7-8 months/year. I have never had either of mine stolen and I have never ever met anyone that knows anyone that has had one stolen.

We all keep hearing about theft potential and that is certainly the case for anything outside, but I would like to know if anyone has actually had one stolen? If so, please let us know. I'm thinking theft of these items just doesn't happen. Can anyone prove me wrong?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

I have never had one stolen but where I could see an issue would be somewhere like a seasonal site. Maybe they leave it plugged in to keep the fridge going but they are not around. To keep an eye on things. While there is staff there, many of them also have open sites for people to come and go and they can't watch everything.

Since we don't do seasonal sites, and mainly do weekends where we are around, so theft for us is a low risk. However it is still out in the elements.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have a (actually I have two - one as a spare) PI EMS-PT50C and have had it hanging around outside for the past 7 years except when one was sent back to PI for warranty after saving me during which time my spare was hanging around outside. I volunteer at a couple of different campgrounds for a total of 7-8 months/year. I have never had either of mine stolen and I have never ever met anyone that knows anyone that has had one stolen.

We all keep hearing about theft potential and that is certainly the case for anything outside, but I would like to know if anyone has actually had one stolen? If so, please let us know. I'm thinking theft of these items just doesn't happen. Can anyone prove me wrong?

I wrap a rubber coated chain with a pad lock around the cables where the Trailer shore power plug connects to the Surge Guard plug. At least if someone wants to steal it, it will take some effort.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I wrap a rubber coated chain with a pad lock around the cables where the Trailer shore power plug connects to the Surge Guard plug. At least if someone wants to steal it, it will take some effort.
I put a chain/lock on mine also and wrap it as tight as possible around the pedestal and below the door. It could be removed, but as you said "it will take some effort" and probably make some noise neither of which as casual thief wants.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:58 AM   #14

I went with a portable as well. Figured might as well spend the three hundred bucks only once.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #15

Our 37FS came with it installed in line and part of the transfer switch connecting the generator and all. I had two of them before this that I "installed". In a 25 foot Dutchman, I installed a permanent system. A couple of times I questioned if it was working, but it would be too hard to remove from the system. On our 30 foot Arctic Fox, I installed a portable unit in a locker and made it so, I could unplug it from the system, if I ever questioned the power source. This worked great because I could just bypass/unplug, if there was a question, but it was secured from theft or tampering with.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #16
Site Team

Our version is the Progressive Ind. portable 30 amp, mainly because if we trade units, it's going with us to the new one. Never had one stolen, and cable lock it to the pedestal to slow 'em down. Just adding our .02 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #17

Just to confirm, your Seneca came with surge protector built in for the shore power supply? If that is the case someone might be getting a good deal on a brand new progressive surge protector. I am trying to buy items for my unit before it comes in such as this and tpms and just pulled the trigger on a EMS-HW50c. I wanted to be sure I had one so I could install it day one, but It will be great if I don't have to wire it in.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #18

Well after reading and thinking about these, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the pt-30x from CW on sale for $270. I'll have it at my seasonal site chained to my power pole. The box/pole is pretty well hidden from plain site behind my rig, I'm thinking risk of theft should be minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Well after reading and thinking about these, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the pt-30x from CW on sale for $270. I'll have it at my seasonal site chained to my power pole. The box/pole is pretty well hidden from plain site behind my rig, I'm thinking risk of theft should be minimal.

Do you keep the fridge running when you are not there? If not why leave it plugged in? If it were me I would unplug the camper and keep the surge protector inside. Can't take a lighting hit from the power lines if you are not there.

I do understand that it takes a while to get the fridge cooled down so if you do run it while gone then that makes sense as well to do what you are doing and just chain it to the post.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Do you keep the fridge running when you are not there? If not why leave it plugged in? If it were me I would unplug the camper and keep the surge protector inside. Can't take a lighting hit from the power lines if you are not there.

I do understand that it takes a while to get the fridge cooled down so if you do run it while gone then that makes sense as well to do what you are doing and just chain it to the post.

Yes, we do keep the fridge on. We have stuff in the freezer and fridge all the time. It's hard to explain, but the position at which my rig is situated, i would be very surprised if anyone messed with it. The pedestal is almost hidden behind my rear slide and some shrubbery. I also have a few full time neighbors near by that keep an eye on the goings on around camp. I will secure it with a cable lock for extra security.