Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #21
Site Team

The method I use to lock mine would require a thief to cut a live wire. I have and seen them used for many years and never had any problems or heard of any first hand with thief.

Maybe I camp in a different world than the ones that have this problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The method I use to lock mine would require a thief to cut a live wire. I have and seen them used for many years and never had any problems or heard of any first hand with thief.

Maybe I camp in a different world than the ones that have this problem.
I have a PT50C (I actually have 2 of them - one as a spare) and I use mine 365 days a year since I full time. I do keep a chain around mine when it is hanging around outside and never in 7 years of full time use have I had one stolen or even messed with. I have never talked with a camper that has had one stolen or even met someone who knows someone who has had one stolen. I host 8 months a year so I visit with a lot of campers.

I think the theft of these units is highly over stated. Maybe it has happened somewhere at some point in time, but.......Never heard of one.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
.... Surge protectors .....

What are we using out there ....???

I purchased the portable progressive unit EMS-PT30X. I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV and there is not enough room for the hardwired solution in the cord locker. You can solve the potential theft problem as well as keeping it portable by purchasing an extension cord. I keep the suppressor in the locker and run the extension out the bottom to the pedestal. That makes about 45 ft of cord and I thought I would get voltage drop but so far no problem. I keep a voltage monitor plugged in at the control panel to check the voltage and its always been in parameters. I worked for an electric utility for many years and I know what lightning strikes and surges can do to wiring and equipment. You need a good surge protector to protector your RV and stick home. They're not 100% fool proof, Lightning can do some strange things but they are better than nothing. If you take a big surge be prepared to buy a new one the MOV's are sacrificial and generally not replaceable. Supposedly, progressive will replace or repair their unit.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #24

I use progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp. I cut the original power cord about 3 feet. Put new plugs on ends and keep the surge protector locked in compartment. Just run power cord up thru bottom and plug it into protector. I didn't like messing with the power cord jamming it in that small compartment. I keep the power cord in the rear storage compartment now.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #25

On word of caution. If it is hot out and you are running heavy loads (AC for instance) it is recommended that the cord is fully pulled out. Cords can build up a lot of heat and are not typically rated to carry heavy loads while rolled up tightly. Of course some of the warnings are overly cautious but it does state to fully extend the power cord. My camper has been rewired because I don't like the mouse hole design and I went to an external outlet on the side of the camper to seal it off so my cord is always fully extended.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #26

Thanks, I intend to do the same. I have checked the temp of the coiled cord in the compartment and so far it's not significant. It is tight in there with the additional cord though and a solution like you suggested will clean it out a bit.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #27

Surge protection hardwire / portable

I have a Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwire with the remote read out. Portable or hardwire everyone should have one, they will save your RV. I feel comfortable when I plug in. Portable/hardwire is personal preference.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #28

I have a PI 30 amps hardwire.....a tight fit into the 31DS tiny bay but its in there and still plenty of space for the wire.
Dansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #29

surge protector ... Portable , hardwired ... What ..???

It arrived yesterday. It's bigger in person! Ill install it later today. Should I kill power at the pedestal AND the main breaker in the camper prior to install? Any tips on the sequence connecting and powering up? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #30

I usually plug in the surge protector, power up the pedestal, let the surge protector run through it's checks, then plug the trailer in. Just make sure I'm now drawing any high loads when I plug in,

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #31
Site Team

I plug mine up then throw the main breaker at the pedestal on. It will not apply power if it is not right.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #32

Well, it's all hooked up and doing it's thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk