Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Suround Sound on TV

I've asked everyone I know, including the tech during our PDI, folks that have the same model greyhawk, HOW to make the surround sound system work with the TV. It works great with the DVD player.

Everyone's answer: It can't be done. The TV is not wired to the surround system.

Now that's just silly if you ask me. My little old hybrid camper did it, so why wouldn't a bazillion dollar rig do it? There just had to be a way.

SO I FIGURED IT OUT!!! AND IT REALLY WASN'T TOO DIFFICULT, EITHER!

YAY ME!

That's all...I'm so happy. Today I figured out how to reprogram my door lock and watched TV with my surround sound system. Now tomorrow I'll start loading some stuff into our new baby before the blizzard hits on Tuesday. Maybe I'll even try out the oven tomorrow!!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 AM   #2

So what was the secret for the surround sound to work with TV?

2020 37K Seneca
2016 31FS Greyhawk (sold)
Retired USAF
Eric&DianeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

I haven't done it - but there's an AV distro unit behind the TV. I'd guess you yank the inputs out and replace them with the TV.

The front, in-dash, Radio/DVD player is wired on out 31FK to feed both TVs, and the speakers (inside and out). I tossed a Blu-Ray in the cabinet for the big TV. when it comes to sound, I was thinking I'd do a small sound bar.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

The in dash Jensen operates as the dvd, and entire surround sound system in our rig. I can listen to a dvd, cd or tv on the cab door speakers, the entire living space surround system (and fade from front to back/side to side, In side/outside or both. All set up with the remote control for the jensen. Haven't tested the bedroom yet.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
The in dash Jensen operates as the dvd, and entire surround sound system in our rig. I can listen to a dvd, cd or tv on the cab door speakers, the entire living space surround system (and fade from front to back/side to side, In side/outside or both. All set up with the remote control for the jensen. Haven't tested the bedroom yet.
Mine works that same as well. Actually pretty neat setup I thought right from the factory. You just have to select the right output from the menu on the Jensen indash radio system. You can also play the bluetooth from your phone over it to the speakers in the ceiling or flip the switch by the door and play it over the outside speakers. I used this during Christmas to play Christmas music from Pandora on my iPhone to the outside speakers. Of course I was in southeast Florida for Christmas so it was nice and warm outside at Christmas time.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Haven't tested the bedroom yet.
Maybe I'm not doing it right - but I had to turn up the radio volume to get DVD volume on the back bedroom TV.

That was really odd - and, if true, dumb.

Kids are asleep up front, wife is trying to watch a DVD in bed, and the radio volume has to be up in order to feed sound to the TV? Ugh...
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #7

I went with standalone Sony Blu-ray players for both TVs and I fade the front stereo all the way forward so I can listen to radio not the large TV being played while driving on the highway. I also included added an inexpensive RCA sound bar for the front tv so that way they can hear it over the road noise. It all works out good I can hear my music and the kids can watch their TV without interrupting each other
Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

Thats a great idea, however, I really like the surround system in our Greyhawk and I'd hate to lose it, actually. I would like to put a dvd in the bedroom with a soundbar, because trying to operate that itty bitty remote with the dash system is a nightmare!

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #9

Bose sound bar works great for us. Have a micro PC hooked up to it and TV so we can watch movies.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #10

what kind of micro pc do you have, and how do you watch movies on it?

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

I have a Nano PC that I custom built but you can find them already setup. Its about the size of a book and I mounted it behind the TV. I download movies and TV shows to external hard drive and use the Nano PC to play them. Pretty easy once you get setup and have a way to download movies.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Surround sound

I figured it out on my 2015 Grey Hawk with the Jensen Radio and Jensen TV. This is how to use the surround sound with the TV not the DVD. It takes a few steps. First turn the speakers off under the audio screen. Then go to the setup screen and change the audio from variable to fixed. Then go to the Jensen radio menu and set it for aux 1, I believe. You should get a message that says no video input but the surround sound will now work for the TV. I followed wires for over an hour only to find out that it was already wired from the factory to support this. It would have been nice to have had it documented somewhere. It works well when you have the air conditioner running and you need more volume. Hope this helps.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #13

I have the 2015 super c. The tv is over the fireplace. it's built-in with a wood frame around it. I would like a sound bar. Any one with same continu.us tv do this and how? The dash player is same kind.
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #14

When I change the source on the Furrion head unit to ARC, I get tv sound through the ceiling and outdoor speakers.
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudio View Post
I have the 2015 super c. The tv is over the fireplace. it's built-in with a wood frame around it. I would like a sound bar. Any one with same continu.us tv do this and how? The dash player is same kind.
I just installed a sound bar in our FK this weekend. Added a power bar to the TV plug behind unit. Used an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor to plug the sound bar to the audio out on the TV. Very easy install. While I was in there I drilled a hole and added a desk top power unit inside the cabinets above tv(has 3 plugs and 2 usb, made to mount through a hole drilled in desk and plugged into an outlet) that plugs into the existing TV plug. I also ran HDMI and AV cables up into the cabinet so I can easily hook up sat. dishes or dvd players with messing around is the TV cabinet.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #16

I just installed a bose sound bar.. what is a micro pc and how did you do this?
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudio View Post
I just installed a bose sound bar.. what is a micro pc and how did you do this?
A micro PC is a really small PC.

Mini PC invasion: These radically tiny computers fit in your hand

If you recall back in the mid 2000's when we were installing Windows Media Center on our PCs, we were turning the PCs into a video / home entertainment center. Your PC can change channels, record shows, play movies, etc.

There are a lot of ways to do this now - one of the cheapest is to install a package called "Kodi" on something like a Raspberry Pi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/kodi/
Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #18

If you have 2 TVs, turn them to the same program and turn up the sound.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote