Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Surprisingly Good Results with Fridge - Normal?

My Redhawk 26X1 is two weeks new, and the initial shakedown is this coming Wednesday. I decided to turn on the fridge today to make sure it was working properly after hearing some stories here on JOF of how long it takes to cool down. I turned it on around 11:00 this morning on electric. The internal temp in the fridge was around 80 degrees. By 6:00 this evening, the fridge was at 36 degrees. I moved the thermometer to the freezer to check that out and an hour later the freezer was around five below zero.

The coach is not quite level, (bubble is just touching edge of the line) so I'm quite impressed. I was able to turn the temp control down to a "2" setting.

Is this normal for a Norcold? I'm in South Florida and the temps were in the low 80's today, in and out of the MH. I'm quite pleased and impressed with the performance so far.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Moe, I think your bragging. That is better than what I have experienced but usually I have to start with a much warmer refrigerator. Now get out and start camping. Congrats on the new RV.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Mine works like yours. 4-5 hours and I'm good to go. I turned mine on yesterday (#2) and this afternoon when I looked, it was 36ish degrees. I flipped it up one warmer setting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Fridge temps vary with ambient temps. When its really hot (100+) my fridge must be set at 9 (max cooling) and the fridge part doesn't get cold enough. When it's cold outside at same setting food will freeze in fridge. Still haven't figured out what settings go with what temps.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Our Norcold maintains that temp on 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

A little fan inside the fridge help me a lot with this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Fridge temps vary with ambient temps. When its really hot (100+) my fridge must be set at 9 (max cooling) and the fridge part doesn't get cold enough. When it's cold outside at same setting food will freeze in fridge. Still haven't figured out what settings go with what temps.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

I usually have to keep mine set on 3 ( out of 1-5). Any higher setting and things in the fridge will start freezing. But when it's 100 degrees outside, it's on 5.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
A little fan inside the fridge help me a lot with this problem
I installed one of these 2 weekends ago. Installation was relatively simple, and the finished look is very nice. The fans are quiet, and I appreciate the extra LED lighting. Per the manufacturer the fans are rated at 100k hours.

The design is nice in that it sucks air UP through the fans on the bottom and pushes the air out the back of the assembly right onto the fins. Its a neat design; I'm hoping I get some bang for the buck out of it.

https://smartrvproducts.com/works/

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I installed one of these 2 weekends ago. Installation was relatively simple, and the finished look is very nice. The fans are quiet, and I appreciate the extra LED lighting. Per the manufacturer the fans are rated at 100k hours.

The design is nice in that it sucks air UP through the fans on the bottom and pushes the air out the back of the assembly right onto the fins. Its a neat design; I'm hoping I get some bang for the buck out of it.

https://smartrvproducts.com/works/
Looks like a nice solution for a problem I've been playing with since I got my first RV. It's spendy, but if it works it's worth it for me. I've installed various fans in various place throughout the years but haven't seen anything near as nice as this. I have two fans installed on the fins but they still don't completely defrost the fins.

One thing I have to mention is that to prevent the auto defrost from working and warming up the fridge, I turn the fridge off every day (just for a few seconds).

I already have a wire run down my condensate drain so this installation will be very simple for me.

I also have wireless temperature gauges in both compartments so I'll be able to tell right away how good these work. At the very least they'll keep the fins defrosted.