Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Switch or Solenoid...

So we're out with the 2008 Greyhawk, hooked up to shore power at the camp ground when all of the sudden everything goes dark... except for all the 120 is working. I check everything at the box.. all the breakers.. fuses.. nothing. I flip the battery disconnect at the door and everything comes back on.

About a half hour later, the same thing happens. When I go to flip the switch, all the 12v comes on when the switch hits the momentary up position bit then turns off when it comes down and I don't hear that "ka-chunk" noise at all you usually hear when you flip the switch and it returns to the bottom position. I push it back up... a number of times... same result... the 12v pose is on when the switch hits the top position and then turns off the moment it is released. At one point I pushed on it in the down position and everything came back on and stayed on for the rest of the weekend.

Now we're home.. playing with the switch is hit and miss. If the 12v is on, you have o keep running the disconnect switch to try and turn it off. If it's off.. It's a bear to try and get it back on.

Opinions... bad switch or is the solenoid bad? I called jayco and was told that there are two solenoid for the 2008 Greyhawk.. one by the battery and one under the bed. If it is a solenoid , any idea which it would be?
steelcityk9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

First test the switch. Drag out the VOM (a DVM won't show the intermittant quite as well) and see what's on each pole of the switch. Watch the needle movement during the transitions.

If all seems OK there, find the soliniods.

Look for loose and/or burnt connections.

Then put the VOM on the non-ground side and flip the switch. If you get +12VDC cleanly to the solenoid and no action, double check the ground side. Good Ground? Replace the solenoid.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Very similar problem occurred to my in laws in their 16 Greyhawk. I traced the problem to the solenoid behind the slide out house battery tray.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

I JUST complained about this a couple of months ago. I literally took the batteries out, played around with all the wires, and changed the fuses at the solenoid. Everything has been working find since. Not a great help, but play with the connections, should solve everything. (In my simple mind)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

solenoid

Ours failed 30 miles outside of Bakersfield on a Sunday at 3:00 pm with temperatures at 110 degrees. Power on 12 volts one moment-no 12 volts next moment. Figured it was the unbelievable bumpy roads from tires running 95 psi heated to 110 psi or higher caused it to shut off. My guess. Jumped the posts and it's working until I can put the new one in.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna take the safe road and replace both the switch and the solenoid. When I pulled the switch I didn't like how the contacts looked... same for the solenoid. I have always used a surge protector at the box so I'm not sure where this came from.
steelcityk9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

solenoid

Per my post, I had used a 16" battery cable to bypass the solenoid and get us on the road for the summer. Home now and replacing the dead solenoid with one I had purchased and received on the road as back-up. Different model. The numbers on the back don't specify that there is a Jayco-specific model that has the second fuse connections installed and additional cross-over wiring.
KIB BATTERY DISCONNECT RELAY FOR JAYCO LR9806JBIP
The added 'J' is important unless you want to rewire.
Am I the first to make this error?
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Might want to spray a little corrosion protection on terminals, guy I knew years ago taught me to use copper gasket spray on terminals I also use it on battery terminals stuff we used to use on head gaskets when replaced. Sometime I also use no-ox electrical paste on connections
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

So much of our world centers around a "Good Ground". Lots of things can happen, but if the circuit isn't complete, it just isn't complete.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Did it resolve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna take the safe road and replace both the switch and the solenoid. When I pulled the switch I didn't like how the contacts looked... same for the solenoid. I have always used a surge protector at the box so I'm not sure where this came from.

Hi,
Can you please say whether your strategy of replacing both solved the problem? I'm having a similar problem and only have a short time frame to get it fixed. I haven't been able to find a knowledgeable Jayco shop here in central FL, so I'm on my own. I'm good with electrical and have the prints, but on my 2012 Seneca FK, the prints don't match the machine.

Thanks, Ray
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
So much of our world centers around a "Good Ground". Lots of things can happen, but if the circuit isn't complete, it just isn't complete.
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. I've learned that in electrical work, if I don't have a good ground...it just might turn out to be ME. :-)
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #12

Hey guys. I have re-seated mine a couple of times and it works fine. I'd suggest a quality solenoid on amazon vice the ones that come installed. I'm going to replace mine this winter.