Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #21

Are you using a pressure regulator while camping? What about at the house? I know my house puts out 60psi so I dont really use a pressure regulator there, but when I am at sites I know many of them put out 100 or so psi water so I use a regulator at every rv site I go to. Here is the kicker, if you have a walmart regulator, dont expect it to be calibrated all that well. A few years ago I learned this. I had a 5th wheel and a walmart regulator. The water pressure was always low and flow was horrible. I then went on amazon and got a new regulator with good reviews and it is night and day difference.

Long story short is that a crappy regulator could be limiting the pressure and flow in your system causing the water heater to not run right.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #22

I have been following this issue closely, and will be trying out the tankless in our 2017 31FS. I bought an adjustable water regulator on Amazon with a liquid filled gauge the brand is Renator. It cost just under 50 bucks but it is a very quality unit. I'm going to set the pressure at 50 PSI and see what happens. I lucked out and my rig doesn't have the black recalled gas valves. The good valves have a white ring around the plastic caps of the valves. It's very obvious to see this on the lower left side of the unit.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #23

I will add to this again and say I love my unit. I have 9 people total when we all go out together so I need all the hot water I can get. I have noticed a few things. If the water temp is set to low sometimes it cant keep it that low since the flow rate and the temp of the water coming in, even if the flame is at its lowest it heats it up too much. If set to high, it will sometimes overheat if the flow changes quickly and you get the e1 error. What I do is have the temp set right around 115 to 120. Just a tad over what I consider a good shower, but hot enough for dishes. In the shower I run the hot full open and then add just a tad of cold. This keeps the flow on the water heater at full. I could add a little bit of cold to cool it down a little when washing kidoos and can also turn the cold all the way off and please my wife who like hotter showers than I do. This keeps the water heater right in the middle of it capabilities and I can tell you that it has ran very well for me there with no problems.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #24

I'm looking for the gas valve your talking about, can't seem to see what your talking about black or white. I'm camping this weekend, tried running hot water heater from the tank with pump on, still no hot water. It sounds like it wants to light but it's not lighting. Looked at little reset button it's in or nut sprung. Gonna try writing to Jacob Customer Relations and see what they can do for me before I take it back to the dealer.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #25

Gas valve

It was a factory recall on my 2016 and was replaced at Jayco service and I do not have any further info.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
It was a factory recall on my 2016 and was replaced at Jayco service and I do not have any further info.
Which Motorhome ? Just wondering if they are all the same...we have one as well on our Greyhawk...
Dansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I will add to this again and say I love my unit. I have 9 people total when we all go out together so I need all the hot water I can get. I have noticed a few things. If the water temp is set to low sometimes it cant keep it that low since the flow rate and the temp of the water coming in, even if the flame is at its lowest it heats it up too much. If set to high, it will sometimes overheat if the flow changes quickly and you get the e1 error. What I do is have the temp set right around 115 to 120. Just a tad over what I consider a good shower, but hot enough for dishes. In the shower I run the hot full open and then add just a tad of cold. This keeps the flow on the water heater at full. I could add a little bit of cold to cool it down a little when washing kidoos and can also turn the cold all the way off and please my wife who like hotter showers than I do. This keeps the water heater right in the middle of it capabilities and I can tell you that it has ran very well for me there with no problems.
Hi RyRoRyan,
This is exactly what I do. If the temp is set to its highest(124) I'll get that error as well. So I do lower it to 118-120 and once in a while I'll get the e1 error. I just shut the water off and turn it back on again. Also weird as it may seem the error only happens when using the kitchen sink faucet. I know it never happen while in the shower I don't recall it happening when using the bathroom sink. I guess it all comes down to the flow of the water thus the reason for using the fresh water tank.
Thanks for your info as it solidifies my findings as well
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #28

Gas valve

We have a 2016 Precept 31U. Our big complaint is how fast the grey tank fills when camping W/O a sewer connection.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #29

Tankless water heater hasn't ever worked right...

We have a 2016 Precept, and ahve ahd the tankless water heater replaced once, and m the second one has onbly worked twice. When it attempts to "light" there doesn't appear to be any Propane avaliable to light. It tries twice, and then shuts down. No hot water... we are getting very frustrated with Camping World and Jayco; we would rather have a regular "tanked" water heater that actually works!
Marcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #30

Having the same problem with our 2016 Precept!
Marcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #31

Girard tankless Tech Support

Just got off the phone with Mitchell Frantz with Girard Tech Support, first of all he said your unit is one of the first models we manufactured the gswm-1m. They are now selling the generation three models, my Seneca is a 2016 why don't I have the generation 3? He referenced page 27 of the owners manual for the 1m, you better know something about electricity and know how to use a voltmeter/ohm meter. Also be able to distinguish between coil resistance and gas modulator flow. Enough said, I'm going to schedule an appointment with Dixie RV once again to trouble shoot this water heater. Will keep you informed about diagnosis and repair.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #32

Sorry you got a Gen I. We got a Gen II in our 2016 Greyhawk.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #33

So your telling me on your 2016 you have a dial instead of a LED control panel for your water heater?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #34

we have a dial on our 2016 seneca. Not having as many issues as others on this post, but have had a few problems that were simple to fix. I'm still planning to push for replacement before our warranty runs out next spring.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #35

My gen 2 will light but extinguishes as soon as the igniter goes out. I also spoke with Mitchell at Girrard and looks like the DSI may need replacement. That's $150 bucks I don't want to put into this unit. He did offer me a good deal on a 3rd Gen, but I'm afraid I've read just as many problems with them.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
My gen 2 will light but extinguishes as soon as the igniter goes out. I also spoke with Mitchell at Girrard and looks like the DSI may need replacement. That's $150 bucks I don't want to put into this unit. He did offer me a good deal on a 3rd Gen, but I'm afraid I've read just as many problems with them.
I have the 3rd gen in my 29MV, works well with no issues as along as you are not dry camping (boondocking). When on full hookups works great, all the hot water you will ever need. never runs out. But uses a lot of water because you cant turn water off and on to conserve water. You will get cold water for a bit inbetween turning on / off before the burner kicks in to heat.

Bottom line on this... if you plan on dry camping alot then I recommend getting some other type of water heater. if you are planning on staying primarily with full hook ups you will love this water heater.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #37

We have an "on-demand" water heater (make and gen unk) in our '16 Greyhawk MV.

We used it extensively last summer on a six thousand mile trip, and this year (from May 20 through July 1st) on an eight thousand mile trip.

The only issue I noticed was the ambient temperature of the water as it hit the water heater. In WA State & Montana the heater was set on medium, but the water was so cold before the heater, that the heater needed to be kicked up for comfort. On the other hand, in Utah and NM, the water heater needed to be turned down a little because the in-coming water was not as cold so the heater was putting out water that was too hot.

Other than this issue, we found that our "on-demand" water heater works very well. When at a site with ample water and dump capability, using hot water for an extended shower is a piece-a-cake.

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #38

We ripped the girard 1st gen out, cursed at it, then sold it and installed a truma. The truma is a real piece of German machinery. You turn the water on, and hot water comes out.
That's it. No issues. Hot water on demand. Love ❤️ it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #39

Tankless hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
I'm so over this tankless hot water heater! It hasn't worked properly at any campsite we have visited. I tried it at home and it worked flawlessly, used a regular garden hose at the house, don't know if the diameter hose had anything to do with or a higher water pressure at the house. I'm so disappointed with this product, especially after you invest so much money in this rolling condo. Had anyone done the switch to a regular hot water heater, and did Jayco pick up the tab? I know that, if I take it to the dealer they won't find anything wrong with it. I'm getting close to full retirement and planning a bucket list trip, I would hate to have to use that bucket to get hotwater from my next door camping neighbor. Frustrated in my Seneca 37 FS 2016.
I also have a problem wit the tankless heater in my 2017 Grayhawk 31DS . Should I go buy a regulator that I can adjust the pressure with and set it at 50 psi?
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
So your telling me on your 2016 you have a dial instead of a LED control panel for your water heater?

yep.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote