Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Tire inflation

2016 class C 31 DS

I have tried several methods to check and put air in my dual rear tires. nothing that I have found thus far will allow me to do this with out removing the cheap tin hubcap and the caps are starting to show some wear from multiple on and offs. I going on a trip and have decided to leave the caps off (I might put some paint of the rims where the cover's teeth dig in).
What are other people doing and if you found a product that works? I have exhausted CW's limited selection.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Have you tried Valve extenders? I work in a shop that services Prevost Coach buses and we use them to air up the tires.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Since I install a tire pressure monitoring system I only have to adj air pressure occasionally . It give me a lot of peace of mind . Surprisingly the temperature of the tire changes pressure quite a bit
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Since I installed the Tire Minder TPMS I check my pressure daily on the monitor. Rarely have to pull the wheel covers. A TPMS also gives the added comfort of tire temperature and impending possible disaster.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

I had the same problem until I took it down to Discount tire and had them install valve extenders on both of the rear tire sets.
They didn't even charge me. I just had to give them the extenders, which I picked up at Camping World.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

Tim, what did the extenders look like, I have tried solid and braided types and nothing has allowed me to use while the hubcaps are in place. A couple others say they use the pressure sensors, I might go there after I find a way to service the tires easier.
thanks
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey View Post
2016 class C 31 DS

I have tried several methods to check and put air in my dual rear tires. nothing that I have found thus far will allow me to do this with out removing the cheap tin hubcap and the caps are starting to show some wear from multiple on and offs. I going on a trip and have decided to leave the caps off (I might put some paint of the rims where the cover's teeth dig in).
What are other people doing and if you found a product that works? I have exhausted CW's limited selection.
i bought some valve redirectors, so i can install and it will change the direction by over 90 degrees. however, i can't get it on through the little hubcap holes. is this hubcap easy to get off? the folks at the RV dealer told me i need to take the TIRE off. this seems wrong. Thanks .
mnhorserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #8

Our Greyhawk came with valve extensions. They worked ok on one side and were a pain on the other. When we replaced the tires, we bought a set of Tire-man Dually Valve Stems. The kit comes with valve stems for all 6 tires and they make airing up tires a breeze. A little pricey, but definitely worth it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

Thank you

Thanks Michael. I’m shocked that the valve locations are so ridiculous. Who thought that up? I will use your advice
mnhorserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #10

Steel valve extenders, braided are a no no and a pain. Had them put on never a problem again. Took it to a truck repair shop CW I bought a pair and returned them.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Ours doesn’t have the wheel liners (hubcaps) but came with the factory Alcoa aluminum wheels which already had solid metal valve stems that are longer and stick through the holes in the front wheels on the dullys. Works great! Never had any problems checking air.

I think the problem must be the added metal of the wheel covers. Like others said if you use valve extensions take it to a truck place and have them install them. Don’t get the type that just screws onto your existing stems. Many have suffered flats because of this.

Also TPMS are great but don’t put them on the ends of rubber valves or those screw on valve extensions I mentioned. Only use them on metal vale stems that are not extensions but true longer valve stems.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote