Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Tire Minder

As someone previously posted regarding Rob R's list and spending money, I have to say thanks Rob. I took your advice and installed the Tire Minder system in the Seneca, super cool and way easier then manually checking all the tires before a trip. Your list is the new bench mark...
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

You are welcome!

Speaking of the TireMinder system I did have a little "glitch" with my system on my recent 5,000 mile trip out West. At highway speeds I would occasionally get a "no sensor" alert for one of my toad tires, and even a few times for one my rear duals. Never "lost" the front MH tires however. I do have the booster installed in the very back of the coach and I verified it still had power (its LED was illuminated). Usually the tires would come back within a few minutes. Never seemed to "lose" more than one tire at a time. If I stopped, all tires were re-acquired within seconds.

While camping in Colorado I talked directly to a very nice lady at Minder Research about my issue, she asked me a number of questions such as when the batteries were last changed (just before I left), did I install the booster (yes), did I verify LED on booster was on (yes), etc. After going through everything she did say some customers with long RVs (think Seneca!) have had some signal dropout issues due to the proliferation of things using similar frequencies as the system. So she told me she would send a second booster (no charge) and it would be here when I got home. It was. Her advice was to install it somewhere halfway back in the coach so as to relay the signal from the rear booster. Just got back yesterday, so it is on my "to do" list before I leave for New England next month. I was impressed that a real person answered the phone, knew exactly what I had, knew their system intimately, and was willing to help out a customer by sending parts free, to (hopefully) address the issue. She promised that if the second booster didn't stop the dropouts, they would work with me to figure out what was going on and make it right. How often does that happen today?

On another subject, I do have another project now too but it is repair versus modification. Perhaps my experience will aid other owners too. I had an awning arm failure early in my recent trip, a freak gust took out the front arm on my main awning. I had previously installed Carefree's "Direct Response" electronics that senses winds and automatically stows the awning, and it had worked properly on many occasions. But this was a case where a very strong cold front moved through northern Illinois and the very first gust hit and bent the gas strut and twisted and broke the front arm. No opportunity for the electronics to sense movement and put the awning away. Awning tube, weather shield, and fabric were all fine, it just destroyed the front arm and scratched the nearby paint somewhat. Luckily I was visiting family, my cousin helped to remove all the pieces and silicone all the holes closed so we could continue our trip. I stored the 20' long awning tube and other pieces at family's house and picked it up on my way back to Ohio yesterday.

Upon researching my repair options I talked to Carefree of Colorado. The service technician I talked to told me that the Travel'r arms Jayco installed on our coaches is their "budget" line of motorized arms. They recommend the Eclipse arms for awnings of my size since they are more "robust". But they sell the manufacturers what they ask for, and let the builders decide what is appropriate. He said most users will never have a problem, but...... So now I have a set of Eclipse arms coming which I will install myself. I also ordered the Eclipse Direct Response electronics which has 3 user-selectable levels of sensitivity. BUT, I learned my lesson and will stow the awning at the slightest inkling of wind from now on. An expensive "ouch", but luckily we were able to continue our trip and had a terrific time.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the booster location. Bummer on the awning.
I purchased the wind sensor kit, have yet to install. Great, the eclipse arms have now been added to the Rob modified list. Your initials are very fitting R&R, repair / replace :-)
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Another observation regarding my modifications/additions. Just before we left on our West trip I installed a Spendide 2100XC (vented) combo washer/dryer in my unit. At first the wife looked at me funny when I proposed it, but she is singing my praises now! That thing works great, and it got a workout keeping up with the laundry for 3 adults and two kids in triple-digit temps when we were in Arizona, Nevada, and Utah!

We did learn quickly not to overload it, 2/3's full at most. Since we had to run genny to keep cool on the road between campgrounds, we also did laundry on the road! That is a time saver compared to laundromats in the past.

Would not hesitate to do that addition again!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

We have a 2014 Seneca and was lucky enough to meet Robbyr and his wife at tiger run rv resort at Brekenridge colorado. He really knows his stuff and was gracious enough to take time and show me things about our Seneca that I would have never figured out on my own. Cheers to Robbyr!!!
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote