Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Alarm System

I know this subject had been beat to death but I am looking a the TireTraker system seems to be best for easy of battery replacement and customer service response. Any one have this system and the reliability of it?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

I purchased this one and I'm really happy with it.
TireTech On TP7002
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HEP4LTU/
Batteries are easy to replace. I've never called customer support so can't comment there. Main issue I have with the system is that if a pressure monitor is not responding, you just see the last temp/pressure. I take the batteries out when not in use for more than a month and when I put them in, I loosen to replicate pressure loss and validate the system alarms. When I purchased mine a while back, many of the TPM systems had this same issue.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

I've used a Tire Minder system from Minder Research for many years on my previous TT. Just upgraded to a 5th wheel this year and although the TireMinder still seemed to work great on the new rig - I was seduced by TireMinder's latest model that just started shipping this week. It's the TM-APP model. It comes in 4 or 6 sensors - the same sensors used by their previous systems - including the replaceable batteries. But it will handle many more sensors, which can be bought as add ons.

BUT - this system uses your iPhone or Android phone. There is a receiver that mounts somewhere (even in the glove box) in the TV that talks to the tire sensors and forwards that info via Bluetooth to the app on your phone. They also ship a repeater/booster to mount somewhere near the front of the TT, 5er or Toad to insure a solid signal.

They claim they have improved the battery life on the sensors although I've never had problems with them lasting a full season and you can get replacement batteries from TireMinder for just the cost of shipping OR you can buy these anyplace that sells hearing aid batteries (Walgreens/CVS/etc.).

IF your cell phone doesn't happen to be on - the receiver will still sound an alarm if anything happens to the tires.

I thought the new Cell phone app was a great approach however because:
1) I always have my phone, running WAZE as my navigation app - so it's always on and mounted in a perfect location. The TireMinder app simply runs behind Waze and opens itself if it has a problem to display. This means I don't have two devices mounted on my dash that I have to keep an eye on.
2) This system almost sets up itself - it was the EASIEST setup ever - just turn it on, the phone automatically finds box then start screwing in the sensors and the app finds them one at a time.
3) It has some great features - like you can tap the screen and "disconnect" the trailer sensors. So if you're unhitching and taking your TV out for dinner, it's just a few taps and the unit doesn't scream that it's lost signal from the sensors as you drive away. For that matter - you can setup sensors on a Motorhome from the sensors on a toad in separate zones and disconnect either zone.

I had been waiting for this unit to start shipping - I just received mine today and started playing with it - so far it seems to be amazing.

There is just one spot of bad news - TireMinder gave Camping World an exclusive (I assume for some period of time) so right now the only place you can buy these new units is from Camping World.

TireMinder Smart TPMS - Smartphone Based TPMS for RVs, MotorHomes, 5th Wheels, Motor Coaches and Trailers - Minder Research

As I actually get to use the unit on the road in a few weekends - I'll come back and post a review.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

^^^^ That is one really nice device!! ^^^^
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:04 AM   #5

I installed this system about a month ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far no problems, batteries seem to be easy to replace. The display has a built in rechargeable battery. I put the sensors on the RV and my toad. I have the display mounted using the windshield mount above the Rear View Mirror. It has no problems getting a signal from the toad. I did email customer service about a setup question, and they responded very quickly. I would recommend this system.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I installed this system about a month ago.

So far no problems, batteries seem to be easy to replace. The display has a built in rechargeable battery. I put the sensors on the RV and my toad. I have the display mounted using the windshield mount above the Rear View Mirror. It has no problems getting a signal from the toad. I did email customer service about a setup question, and they responded very quickly. I would recommend this system.
Did you have to modify the valve stems in any way? Add extensions or replace them entirely??

We have a 17' Redhawk and it appears to have metal stems from the factory but the inner duals have a flexible(ish) extension but does have a bracket to keep it from moving. I'm wondering if that is sufficient enough to hold the sensor??
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

There were some factory extensions I removed. I also installed 135 degree valve extenders on the outside duals. The flexible extension for the inner duals was no problem attaching to. The sensors come with a type of anti theft cap that requires a supplied little wrench to install or remove. I did not use these. Have had no problems.

I attach the sensors to my toad, but remove them when not towing it.

Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
There were some factory extensions I removed. I also installed 135 degree valve extenders on the outside duals. The flexible extension for the inner duals was no problem attaching to.

Where were the factory extensions that you removed located? Outer dual?

So you used the factory flexible inner dual extension?
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #9

Yes I believe they were on the outer dual. Yes I used the factory flexible inner dual extension, no problem. The sensors are very light.
Blue Ox Patriot Brake