Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Tire Recommendation question

I am looking for new tires for my 2003 Jayco GreyHawk Class C. One has a bulge on the inner rim in the back and they are all 5 years old, presently I am using Kelly Safari ATR. I probable will change them all to stay on the safe side. I am considering Firestone Transforce HT LT 225 75R 16 E vs Goodyear Wrangler Ht. Just wondering what everyone is using and what you are happy with in general. Your opinions are important. Thanks.
Chris H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #2

Chris, I can't comment on brand choices for you but when looking across brands besides the obvious tire size you need to consider the load rating. Go beyond the load designation, e.g., G and good at the load in lbs. There are differences despite having the same load designation.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Join Family Motor Coach. They have a deal with MICHELIN/GOODRICH for fleet pricing, I personally only ran MICHELINS on our "C" and SENECA.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Walt, ARe you saying that I should consider going up in load size from from the current load range E that is posted on the door placard to a G? I didn't think this would be wise and that also could my rim not handle it? Could you clarify what your are saying?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Chris, no I did not mean to suggest going up (or down) in tire size. I just used a G load designation as an example. (Actually I missed seeing the E in your post.)
All I am trying to say is to check the actual load rating in lbs for another brand with E rating. Not all tires are created equal. It might be prudent to stay with the size provided with the coach for clearance reasons, rim size, etc.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Thanks for clarifying, safe travels to you!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #7

Wow that's cool, what can one expect to save on Class C Tires with a membership? I know Michelin are the boss but pricey >$220 ea.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
I am looking for new tires for my 2003 Jayco GreyHawk Class C. One has a bulge on the inner rim in the back and they are all 5 years old, presently I am using Kelly Safari ATR. I probable will change them all to stay on the safe side. I am considering Firestone Transforce HT LT 225 75R 16 E vs Goodyear Wrangler Ht. Just wondering what everyone is using and what you are happy with in general. Your opinions are important. Thanks.
I just purchased a 2003 Greyhawk 27DS and the first thing I did was replace all the tires as they were about 7 years old and starting to weather-check on the sidewalls. I went with the Firestone Transforce HT LT 225 75R 16 E that you mentioned. They were about $155 each installed here in Ohio. Haven't had any trips yet so I can't comment on the ride, wear, etc. I installed all new Bilstein shocks, Bilstein steering dampner and Hellwig Anti-Sway bars front and rear based on numerous recommendations. (Note:if you install the new anti-sway bars yourself- which is pretty straight-forward-, try not to drop them on your arm-- don't ask how I know- they are HEAVY DUTY). I'm taking the MH in tomorrow to get front end aligned before first trip next week.
OSUJAYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Wow that's cool, what can one expect to save on Class C Tires with a membership? I know Michelin are the boss but pricey >$220 ea.
Most tires in that price range are invoiced around $150/160.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

.What upgrade is there from Mitchlins L225/75R16
Shellman is offline   Reply With Quote