Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #1

Question Tire Replacement (Michelin LTX/MS2 or XPS Rib)

I am looking for anyone that may be running Michelin XPS Rib tires on their RV. I am replacing the recalled tires on mine and LTX/MS2 tires are not available. The dealer says he may be able to get me XPS Rib tires at no additional cost. Per the specs the load rating, etc are the same as the Jayco (Ford) supplied LTX MS2 225/75R16 115/112R LRE tires.

Anyone using the XPS tires?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Forget the dealer and go to Discount Tire. They will order whatever tire you want, unless you just want to pay list+ from a RV dealer.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

@Bob, the tires are under recall, so all is free. I am just wondering if anyone has experience withthe Michelin XPS Rib tires and can tell me if they are equal in ride quality to the LTX/MS2's that came on it.
The LTX/MS2 tires are not as readily available due to the recall..
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

I spoke with Michelin and the XPS rib tires are "commercial" rated. The LTX MS2 tires are consumer tires and are made for light trucks. She said that you may lose some softness in the ride but the durability isn't even a competition. They rate them the same but they are not made the same at all. The XPS rib tires are made much sturdier to compensate for commercial use.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #5

Thanks, Michael, that's good to know. Jayco's JRide package provides a nice ride. After that, I would go with durability.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

Has anyone gone ahead with the XPS tires? I have two concerns... 1) The ride. Michelin rates the M/S2 tires with a 9 for comfort and XPS at a 5. 2)The XPS are summer only tires, where the M/S2 are all-season. Michelin says the performance of Summer tires drops dramatically when used below 40 degrees, as well as the tire noise increases.

Michelin says that there is a nationwide backorder to the tune 27,000 tires, and that they are not scheduled to start producing for at least another 4 weeks.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

The ride package provides a nice ride with the correct tires! One must use trailer tires designed for trailers not cars or trucks to get a nice ride.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Problem is there seams to be a lot of opinions and not many with XPS experience. Before agreeing to let Michelin replace with the XPS, I want to be ensured they will work and the ride will not be affected negatively. I hate the idea of riding around on recalled rubber until they make enought to start replaceing them in kind. But hey, Ive been riding around on them since I bought it.. I emailed Jayco to get their position on the matter.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #9

I feel the same way. I was all set-up to get them replaced this last weekend, but chickened out at the last minute. Michelin says that they only schedule production 4 weeks out at a time, and they do not have the MS2's scheduled currently. Seems ridiculous considering the backorder. Please let us know when you hear back from Jayco.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #10

Good info on the back order. I am still trying to locate a dealer that is not 100 miles away that can handle the rig. I will leave it in storage for a few more weeks while I continue to call around.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

From Jayco (bad news, Vinh is not in customer support any longer)

Mr. Tunstall,
Mr. Le has moved onto a different department here within Jayco.
As for the recall, this is from Michelin and they would be the ones to better tell you which tires they could replace yours with.
Because the tires are under a recall we would not suggest to take your trip until such time Michelin replaces them or tells you that you can take your trip
We here at Jayco can contact your local Michelin dealer and see if they can get the tires for your unit in time for your trip, but they may also tell us the same thing that they told you. Let me know if we an call them for you.

Paul Martin
Jayco,INC
Motorized Customer Service
1-800-283-8267
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

I contacted my local tire dealer we buy our tires from. He is trying to get replacements for me as well. The LTX is my 1st choice. We have a (200 mile round trip) trip planned in early April. Hope to have them replaced by then. If not, I guess we'll just ride!! It's my DW's birthday and she's ready to go!!!

BTW, the news of Vinh no longer in customer service is unsettling to me as well. He provided outstanding customer service. He will be missed!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

I called my tire dealer back and they have the tires now. LTX/MS2. The problem with availability was he was not searching fo rthe MS2 version.
All is set for a Friday replacement.

On Vinh, he saved me a lot of drive time by working with me direct on the few issues I have had.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #14

Keep checking with your tire dealer. Tuesday, I called my local dealer and sure enough, their warehouse had just received 28 MS2's. I had them replaced Wednesday afternoon. One of the hardest parts of this process was finding a dealer that was willing to do the work.

As far as the Vinh issue goes... My service dealer has had a much harder time working with Jayco since the change a few months ago. Jayco has always been difficult getting authorizations out of them, but now it seems that it is difficult just getting them to respond at all. At least that is what my dealer is telling me.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #15

Strouhal's Tire came through for me with replacements. They are LTX/MS2. They also replaced the valve stems with longer and bent stems. Now, checking air pressure and adding air is easy. I dont have to remove the trim rings now. This alone made up for the hassle of having to get it to the tire shop and deal with the recal. I had it aligned while it was there and it now tracks a lot better. They did have to replace two bushings to allow for the proper adjustment needed.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #16

Our tires are in we'll replace later this week. Good idea to replace valve stems with longer and more accessible stems. Right now here in southeastern NC we're waiting on Mr. Snowman!!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #17

I got fed up with the hubcaps and took the off. Much easier now.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #18

Reitrof, with the extended valve stems, i dont even have to take the hubcaps off to adjust air....
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
Reitrof, with the extended valve stems, i dont even have to take the hubcaps off to adjust air....
Hi TX,

I understand, but I didn't like the hubcaps anyway.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #20

I need all six tires replaced, and Michelin says there is still a huge backorder. ( have been waiting for a month now) After reading the reviews on the Michelin web site regarding the XPS Rib tires, I am just about convinced to go that route.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote