Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

To Buy Extended Warranty or Not

Hi All

Would appreciate some advise. About to have my 2-year factory warranty run out in January, 2017 on my 2015 Jayco Senenca RB and was wondering if it is worth purchasing an extended warranty plan from Good Sams or some other provider. We have had some serious problems with the Seneca since we purchased it new in January 2015 (slide jumping its track, molding literally falling off and almost killing my dogs, levelers failing to go down and then up again) and while Jayco has been great and has seemed to fix all the issues as the rig is now running fine, I have become a little gun shy and am wondering if it makes sense to purchase an extended warranty plan just in case. Let me know your thoughts as well as suggestions on which extended warranty provider to go with should i decide to go in that direction, Howard
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

All of the problems have probably been fixed, but many owners swear by Coach-Net for warranty coverage and roadside assistance.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

I think you can purchase Good Sam a year at a time, so suggest thinking of buying one or two year coverage if you have no break downs you can re-evaluate at the renewal time. I would like to see one year trouble free on the slides and leveling system. Once you feel confident with all your systems you may want to self insure.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

I have Good Sam. Had 2 weeks left on Jayco warranty. Had issue with Generator and when I took it to Camping World, they would not cover it under the GS warranty program as it was still under Jayco 2 year warranty. Now that the Jayco Warranty just expired, I tried to get the carb fixed under the GSam but they said no as it was already denied (due to the existing Jayco Warranty).

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

You are usually better off buying it through the selling dealer, 9 out of 10 times those have 0 deductible. Our dealer even has a CC that they will use to pay a bill if we have trouble getting repairs on the road.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

GrayHawk51, I'm a bit confused... CW is a Jayco Authorized Service Center. Why didn't they just fix the GenSet under the Jayco factory warranty?

We had the Good Sam extended warranty for 8 years, and never had to use it (on our 2005 25RKS). $ 320.00 a year for 8 years... $2,560.00. Probably could have used that for something else.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
I have Good Sam. Had 2 weeks left on Jayco warranty. Had issue with Generator and when I took it to Camping World, they would not cover it under the GS warranty program as it was still under Jayco 2 year warranty. Now that the Jayco Warranty just expired, I tried to get the carb fixed under the GSam but they said no as it was already denied (due to the existing Jayco Warranty).
A gas Onan generator needs to run for at least 60 minutes every month with a 50% load or completely drained of fuel, or the carburetor may need to be replaced again down the road.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

We have never purchased extended warranties of any kind after 15 years and three motorhomes but instead pay ourselves into a savings repair fund and if and when the time comes for a repair the money is there.
Disclaimer--We do most repairs ourselves.

However, roadside assistance coverage is recommended by most owners.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
We have never purchased extended warranties of any kind after 15 years and three motorhomes but instead pay ourselves into a savings repair fund and if and when the time comes for a repair the money is there.
Disclaimer--We do most repairs ourselves.

However, roadside assistance coverage is recommended by most owners.
That is good advice. All extended warranties benefit the seller or they wouldn't sell them. If you do as abarkl suggests you will come out ahead in the end.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Time to go back to Camping World and get them on your side. The MH should have been written up and submitted to Jayco before the initial warranty period ended. Just keep going up the food chain. I would call Jayco if the work was requested before going out of warranty they may still help you out.