Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

To tow or not to tow that is the question

There are pros and cons with towing a car along with you. Having a vehicle to run around with once set up would be perfect. On the other hand dragging along, hooking and unhooking, more fuel use and backing up would be a nightmare.
What do you do and why?
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Strictly personal decision. Prior to installing the tow equipment, we travelled and rented a car. That could get expensive and wasn't very convenient.
If you are going to tow 4 down, you won't be backing at all. Just takes planning when you pull in to fuel, eat, rest area, etc.
Met a family in Branson, MO this month in a 36' DP. No towed. They left the CG each morning to see the sights and returned each evening in time for a campfire. Worked for them.
If you are moving every 4-5 days, you can restock supplies in transit. If you stay longer and want to sight see or restock...........unhook at your site and rehook when you return.
Yep, pros & cons.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

We have found that mileage is affected very little, towing vs non-towing maybe 1/4 mpg. The wind resistance and speed are the two biggest factors. Personally we never do long trips without the car behind us.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Site Team

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that once you move to the RV level, you have to tow something- whether it be a trailer or another vehicle behind a(n) MH. Which route you go depends on a gazillion factors and every situation is different. In the end, though, the final decision is yours, and yours alone. If you've done your "due diligence" and chosen wisely, you will be rewarded handsomely. However, I know people personally that have owned 4 or more different types of RV's during the (nearly) 15 years that I've owned my 2000 Jayco Eagle TT. For them, just enduring all the purchase investments, and depreciation losses on trade-in would have permitted them to stay in hotels!

We camped in our first RV, a Coleman Laramie pop-up, for 14 years. By then, our needs changed. My sons were grown and no longer wanted to camp with mom & dad and, of course, we were older and needed the convenience of a full bathroom and other amenities which the pop-up lacked. Being proactive, the DW and I had been attending an annual RV show for several years before making our purchase, looking for an RV that met or exceeded the requirements we established. In our case, a TT was the best choice.

We still attend the RV show every year, and when we leave, the DW and I look at each other and both agree there was nothing we saw there that excited us to the point where we would be willing to go into debt again.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Once again I'm right there with you RPM 111. My 28 ft 2014 Swift is practically brand new. We love the layout and especially the slide. The trouble is we only camp in one place. A beautiful State primitive forest site on a lake that's about 20 miles from our second home.
Next year the love of my life retires and we plan on doing yearly 6,000 mile round trips out West to see our kids and get away from the cold. The thought of pulling my TT that far horrifies me. So, we are looking at class C motor homes and yes, will go in debt for it. Not a fun thought.
What a decision I'm going to have to make. Thanks for your wise input as others to help me make the right one.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Seems my MH doesnt leave without something dragging behind - car (soon to be replaced by a Jeep) or the boat. Last long trip to Smoky Mtns we towed the car - would not have wanted to be without it.
Everyone has an opinion on this subject i guess it was my experiences that keep me dragging something. we like the flexibility.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote