Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Toad question

Just purchased a Class C. I plan on flat towing a Honda. My question is, does pulling a toad greatly affect the handling of the Class C. I'm still learning to drive it "as is" so I hope it won't have too much of a different feel.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Smile 2011 greyhawk 31ds

We have had this greyhawk for about a month and a half and purchased a Demco kar kaddy to tow a Nissan cube with auto trans that weights around 2900 lbs. We just took about a 150 mile trip with it and to be honest it felt I was not towing anything. It drove like a dream. Good luck with your new class c!
cinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

been towing our Ford Edge with 4 wheels down 3 years... no difference in the handling towing or not... make sure you have a good braking system on the dingy...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoJoe View Post
been towing our Ford Edge with 4 wheels down 3 years... no difference in the handling towing or not... make sure you have a good braking system on the dingy...

Joe
Ditto with a Mazda B2300 pickup.

I am just using the motorhome brakes and I don't see any difference stopping either. Not sure of the state laws regarding that...but the guy I bought the towing gear from towed an identical Ford Ranger and he also said he didn't see any problems stopping. However after 3 years, he did get a brake buddy setup because he was concerned about legalities.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinbob View Post
We have had this greyhawk for about a month and a half and purchased a Demco kar kaddy to tow a Nissan cube with auto trans that weights around 2900 lbs. We just took about a 150 mile trip with it and to be honest it felt I was not towing anything. It drove like a dream. Good luck with your new class c!
I had the same experience with a 2000 Mazda protege, but I got so tired of crawling around under the car to hook and unhook that I sold the caddy and the Mazda and got a 2003 Mazda pickup with manual transmission so I could tow with a tow bar.

Found the tow bar setup on craigslist, including the vehicle specific brackets, for $250 and had it installed for $90.

Now I hook the vehicle up just like a trailer: drop the hitch over the ball, connect the safety chains and plug in the flat four connector - and go!!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote